Opinions on Westone Um1 and Um2
Jan 25, 2012 at 3:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ygil11

New Head-Fier
Hi, I have been using the westone um1s for at least 8 months and recently had it break on me. The plastic tip where you place your comply tips decided to break off somehow while i was wearing them around the neck. I did send westone an email wondering if i can use my warranty to cover the repairs.

In the case it doesn't work (which is probably going to happen), i decided to either buy another set of um1 earphones or to try an upgrade to um2s.

I use an ipod classic 160gb newest version. How much better audio can i expect? thanks

Jan 25, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #2 of 6
Hi there, I've been using UM1's for over a year now and am too just thinking about upgrading to UM2's.

Hold out for now though! The exact same thing happened to my first pair and I was sent a new pair, however i did my warranty through the retailer and not direct with Westone.

Jan 25, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #4 of 6
I just spoke with a rep at westones and they gave me the instructions on how to  send them in for evaluation for whether or not the repair/placement will be under warranty.

My idea is that if the warranty is valid, I will take the repair or replacement and use them until I can get enough money for a UM2.

Can someone who has used both give an analysis of what is so different between the who as in sound quality? More bass and treble?
Also, would it be recommended to get the detattchable version?

Jan 25, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for your reply spyro, i've always thought the midrange on the UM1 is absolutely incredible, singers voices are crystal clear! If the bass and treble come up to match then it sound like i'll definitely be upgrading!

To ygil11: I've read that the removable cable is indeed recommended based on if it's the cable that breaks you wont need a full new heapdhone, makes sense really, especially as you're not paying much of a premium.

Whatever your choice, I hope you're happy!

Jan 25, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #6 of 6

Quote:

Can someone who has used both give an analysis of what is so different between the who as in sound quality? More bass and treble?
Also, would it be recommended to get the detattchable version?

That's really about it.  They both have the "Westone" sound but UM2 extends farther in the treble and definitely on the low end but it is still a fairly mid-centric IEM.  It adds a richness to the whole presentation.  Vocals are amazing with UM2.  Preferred over SE535 because it sounds more natural IMHO.

I much prefer fixed cables.  I find them more comfortable and with 2 year warranty I don't worry about breaking them or a failure.  I take care of my stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back