Opinions on ultrasone hfi-500 dj1
Feb 20, 2005 at 12:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

PwM

New Head-Fier
Hi every one.
I am new hear and would like to thank you all for a fine forum.
I live in an apartment and have decided to get a pair of headphones so I can turn up the volume on my old Rotel system. I have tryed the Sennheiser Hd 477, 500, 570, and the Sony Mdrv-700 Dj and do not like any of them. I am now test driveing the Ultrasone Hfi-500-dj1's and think they are a very good headphone but perhaps a little bright. There are not a lot of headphone choices where I live but I can order any Sennheiser that they make, I am hopeing that some one can give me an idea of how much better the higher end Sennheiser's sound than the Ultrasones so I can decide weather to returne thease or be happy with what I have. As I said I think they are a fine phone and am leaning in that direction but being fairly inexperienced with headphones woul like your opinion.
Thank you.
PwM

Feb 20, 2005 at 8:22 AM Post #2 of 9
welcome.gif

Hi, welcome to headfi and to minority ultrasone users !

First I'd like to know the asking price of your 500dj and related senn in your area like hd25 or open ones like 590, 595 - unless price is no object and you're looking at ultimate sonic performance. As a comparison, hfi500 is about $140 here while hd590 is $150.

In contrary, I found hfi500/550 to sound dark compared to above senn that I mentioned - so maybe it's a matter of output / amp matching. I found 550's bass is a thing to die for out of portables. However, I'm sure that those senns give more detail all over, i.e. sound more transparent. Problem is I haven't heard those 477, 500 and 570 to make a fair sound assessment.

At about same price I would pick 590 anytime above hfi 500/550, but I was looking for a circumaural sealed phones and the 550 was sold at a huge discount for $100. For supraaural sealed phone my favorite is HD25-1.

Feb 20, 2005 at 9:43 AM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for the welcome.
The price of the Hfi-500 is 259.99 Canadian. I find it to be a nice phone but as I said a little bright but I like the imaging, dynamics, and efficency. I would describe them as exciting and very detailed, the bass is clear and tight not overpowering at all.
I am using a Rotel RX-950AX reciver with a Rotel RCD-955AX Cd player this unit when run threw a pair of paradigm Mini mark 3's with a SB 100 sub sounds great, nice tight bass flat to 32 hrtz clean clear highs with no sybalence, if anything a bit mellow. But I have no experience with headphones. It has pleanty of power to run the phones and has an impeadance of 8 to 2000 Ohms.
The HD 477 sold for 49 dollars on sale regular 99. I found them to be uncomfortable did not pay much attention to the sound.
The HD 570 sold for 199 dollars and was a good sounding Headphone but I thought the sound was boring.
The HD 500 went for 169 and was the worst sounding, the bass was to loud, sloppy, and smeared over the other instraments, the mids were weak and hollow.
The Sony MDRV-700 DJ sold for around 220 and had to loud and indistinct bass and the mids and highs were way to bright. Rockin blues guitar and harmonica nearly ripped my ears out of my head.
I might see what price they charge for the 580's or 590's they appear to be a highly respected headphone here.
PwM

Feb 20, 2005 at 10:54 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by PwM
The price of the Hfi-500 is 259.99 Canadian.

Yikes, usd 211 is expensive ! With the discount they were usd 84 here, and as I mentioned usd 140 regular price. Your neighbouring country has a sale on hd590 for usd 120, can't you get them from online store ?

Btw I wouldn't spend $160 for hd570. If senns are really expensive then hfi may give best value, and what's more important you already like the sound. While I think hfi can use some detail, 590 may sound a bit too bright for you though.

edit - what about this amazon deal, do you have to pay duties for them ?

Feb 20, 2005 at 11:26 AM Post #5 of 9
I think that you are right that the Sennheisers will be to expensive hear and I will probably stick with the Hfi's. I am just trying to avoid the I wonder if they would have sounded much better problem and it realy is kind of nit picking as the Hfi do sound quite good, far superior to the other phones I tryed.
It is not unusual for good electronics to be very expensive here compared to the states, it realy sucks.
PwM

Feb 20, 2005 at 12:09 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by PwM
I am just trying to avoid the I wonder if they would have sounded much better problem

How far are you from Chicago ? I believe some headfiers have 'meets' quite often there, so you can get to hear those phones. I suggest you wait some more and try to find senn before deciding which one to get. It'd really sux big time to pay almost twice US price if you find out later on that you prefer hd 590's sound.

Feb 20, 2005 at 4:53 PM Post #7 of 9
I live in south west British Columbia so Chicago may be a little far to go to check out cans but would be nice.
Consudering the price I am paying I decided to take the Hfi back and see what I can get. I expect the phones I get to last a long time so quality is more important than price.
Thanks for the Amason link but I prefer to do my shoping in person and don't have credit cards ect. On line shoping is getting tempting and I may change my views in the future.
Oh and in regards to the price of stuff up hear we also have to tack on another 14% to keep our government happy, it sux I hope you don't have to pay as much.
PwM

Feb 20, 2005 at 6:36 PM Post #8 of 9
Well, in that case maybe you can go to Seattle meet ? Just search the agenda or previous meets. Btw HFI headband use the similar problematic ones as used on senn 280 and newer Beyers so you might want to consider that. Real ugly cracks on headband.

Feb 20, 2005 at 9:17 PM Post #9 of 9
Just got back from the store, I exchanged the Hfi's for a set of Hd 590's they should be hear in two weeks. Been a long time since I have gotten excited over sound equipment and I can't wait.
Man thoes cracks suck they are having a similar problem with the Sony Dj's.
PwM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back