Opinions on Ultrasone Headphones...?
Aug 28, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #106 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've listened to several models at meets. While I don't hate them, I didn't see any reason to buy a pair over other headphones I liked better. If you've compared them to other similarly priced models and prefer the Ultrasones, go ahead and get a pair. But they don't do it for me.

My feelings exactly.

I owned the PL750 and Edition 9 for a period of time. Nothing impressed me aside from their build quality. The metallic sheen they are known for is quite annoying.

Aug 28, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #107 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by hawker800mech /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oz's prices are a bit high. Check out amazon.com.

Is Oz not a nickname for Australia? Meaning those are Australian dollars? If so, the prices are about retail price I think.

I have the HFI-780 and I think they are really good for their price. I use the Beyer pads on them and haven't actually used their stock pads though, so I'm not sure of how the sound changes. The pads don't fit perfectly, but they work. The Ultrasones are a bit rounder, whereas the Beyer pads are straight along the long sides.

Aug 28, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #108 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by triple-u /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is Oz not a nickname for Australia? Meaning those are Australian dollars? If so, the prices are about retail price I think.

I have the HFI-780 and I think they are really good for their price. I use the Beyer pads on them and haven't actually used their stock pads though, so I'm not sure of how the sound changes. The pads don't fit perfectly, but they work. The Ultrasones are a bit rounder, whereas the Beyer pads are straight along the long sides.

Okay. That makes more sense then.

No, they are not a perfect fit, but work. I thought they degraded the bass a bit. I like the stock pads for sound.

Aug 28, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #109 of 123
I thought the same about the beyer pads, the sound changed a bit to much to my liking over the stock pads.

Aug 28, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #110 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Better to go with the Pro-900, even used.
smile.gif

Are they just that much better?
And I know that the some if not all the pro's have a 6.3mm plug on the cable, but I would generally be using them with my ipod, I'm guessing they will need an amp, would they? And if so anyone know if a small portable on would be enough?

Aug 28, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #111 of 123
I had the HFI780 for a month or so. I bought it when it was extremely hyped up here, people saying it is practically a ED9.

I expected it be at least half decent, but I felt that it was quite bad. It had practically no soundstage, the music felt like it was right in your head. Much more than Grados too, paired against my 325i and 225, it was the clear loser in soundstage alone. Not to mention the fact that the fit is extremely tight against you head (to get a proper seal), and makes your eardrums feel like exploding when somebody hits the bass. The headphones are also praised for their speed, however, I felt that they were not fast at all, just bright. The 325i was definitely faster than them and the W5000 blew them out of the water.

My overall experience with the HFI780 was pretty disappointing. I have not heard any other Ultrasones, but I would not recommend this one.

Aug 28, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #112 of 123
^^^ Everyone has different taste
smily_headphones1.gif

I preferred the W5000 for a few things when i had them with my 780's. But in the end i felt the 780 was a better allrounder. Also the soundstage... You must of gotten a faulty pair. I seriously want to try a pair of Ed.9's, but running them from a Pico just doesnt seem right....

Aug 28, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #113 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by matt9292 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are they just that much better?
And I know that the some if not all the pro's have a 6.3mm plug on the cable, but I would generally be using them with my ipod, I'm guessing they will need an amp, would they? And if so anyone know if a small portable on would be enough?

100$ better I would say they certainly are. It´s a non brainer then. After burn in the 900 have better bass extension, smoother, slightly wider soundstage. More laid back which annoyed me for a while but you can fix that with KeeS mod if you want to.

I found the 750 being more neutral.The 900 have some bass boost ala HD 650 but again the KeeS mod let you set it to whatever you want it to.

Mid range I also feel is better on the 900. It´s overall smoother but there is something in the mid range of the 900 that moves me more. And with KeeS mod again you can enjoy it fully.

Aug 28, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #114 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
100$ better I would say they certainly are. It´s a non brainer then. After burn in the 900 have better bass extension, smoother, slightly wider soundstage. More laid back which annoyed me for a while but you can fix that with KeeS mod if you want to.

I found the 750 being more neutral.The 900 have some bass boost ala HD 650 but again the KeeS mod let you set it to whatever you want it to.

Mid range I also feel is better on the 900. It´s overall smoother but there is something in the mid range of the 900 that moves me more. And with KeeS mod again you can enjoy it fully.

Thanks your your input, but I don't think I want to spend $100 more especially since I've found 750's for <$300 CAD shipped (that is if my parents will let me order them)

EDIT: Anyone that has heard the 750's have an opinion on amps needed or not?

Aug 28, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #115 of 123
I've never heard a pair of ultrasones that I liked even a little bit. Everything is off, way too much treble, sterile, clinical sound, tonality doesn't sound right, I think they look silly, and to boot, they are closed, which makes it very difficult for them to compete with open competitors of the same price. But they don't seem to compete with other closed cans either. I think they sound like they're supposed to wow you at first listen, but no....

Aug 28, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #116 of 123
lol they are NOT designed to wow you on first listen... I have never owned a pair of headphone that sounds worse then a pair of spanking new 750s. Burn in/S-logic probably a combination
smily_headphones1.gif

750s is nice but you are at a loss. Though I liked that a lot as well. They are quite dependant on both source and amp yes. But try without first and if you are happy with what you got you have no reason to spend more money on an amp. If you have problems with uncontrolled bass or congested sound you know how to fix it though.

Aug 28, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #117 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just got my hfi-680's through the post. they're quite bright compared to my Proline 750's. However I'm listening to them unamped, and I don't how much burn in they've had (bought used). I can't say the bass is deep or has the punch of my HD25-1's. In Ultrasone terms, the bass seems quite reserved.

I actually got the HD 25-1 II the other day thanks to a pretty decent Newegg sale. They definitely are bassier than my HFI-680, especially midbass, but their bass is a little looser too. I also find the HFI-680 treble to be smoother. I think the HD 25-1 treble is a bit of a mess, actually. These quick impressions were with a Mac mini running through a Corda Arietta amp.

Aug 28, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #118 of 123
Somewhere between this and the Shure thread, it looks like the search for the 'perfect' mid-priced cans continues for many. I'm just glad I found something that fits my needs for now. Went back to the G3 album with the MS1s on and it was a totally different experience - whatever voodoo Ultrasone have done to make my kit sound this good, to my ears anyway, makes them a winner in my book.

Aug 28, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #119 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by 12thgear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually got the HD 25-1 II the other day thanks to a pretty decent Newegg sale. They definitely are bassier than my HFI-680, especially midbass, but their bass is a little looser too. I also find the HFI-680 treble to be smoother. I think the HD 25-1 treble is a bit of a mess, actually. These quick impressions were with a Mac mini running through a Corda Arietta amp.

I didn't know what to expect, obviously the 750's are more expensive and the specs show quite a difference in lower frequencies. In terms of an out an out comparison, the 680's are more metallic, the 750's ... smooth.

I run straight out of a Mac as well, but to be honest, until i get my ibasso D10 or Ray Samuels Predator (when i bump off the soon to be ex-wife!), the best amp i feel is me little ol' Go-Vibe V5 amp. I've tried a few, but it just suits the Ultrasone's well.

I have to say that ultrasone is fast becoming my manufacturer of choice. I love my 750's over the HD650's... i do want to get my hands on the HFI-780 and 900's ... the HFI-15G are one of my favorite portable headphones, and I always say that the HFI-15G's are THE most comfortable headphones I have!

However the 680's are better suited to hard edged electric recordings,more so than the 750's. Lost (D. Ramirez Lost In Rave Mix) is just awesome with the 680's..... ah yeah baby, the 680 really like this track. I feel my 750 may become a little redundant. certainly time to ditch my HD650!

Aug 28, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #120 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

However the 680's are better suited to hard edged electric recordings,more so than the 750's. Lost (D. Ramirez Lost In Rave Mix) is just awesome with the 680's..... ah yeah baby, the 680 really like this track. I feel my 750 may become a little redundant. certainly time to ditch my HD650!

Roger Sanchez sounds great on Ultrasones. You like D. Ramirez, throw on "La Discotek (D. Ramirez Discotek Dub Remix)"....The beats just keep on going.....Great stuff.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back