Opinions on Ultrasone Headphones...?
Aug 20, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #91 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatFan12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is true. Each Ultrasone has its own unique sound. Some may be better, given certain model #s, some are personal preference.

I own the HFI-580, 680 and 780 (2 pairs). The 580s have more bass than the 680s but less than the 780s and are not as detailed as the 680s or 780s. Still a fun can. The most balanced sound among the three is the 680.
I also own the HFI-700 and it too is balanced in the spectrum, with more bass than the 680 but less than the 780.

IMO, all Ultrasones have bass, that is not their weakness. The 780s also have very piercing highs that make your eyes water, out of the box, along with great deeeeeep bass. The highs and lows seemed detached from each other while still being prominent. Burn-in and a re-cable took care of that.

This info I have been looking for. I have the HFI-580's and love them. But I have been wanting to try the 780's. I was afraid of losing the bass and now I know I won't.

Aug 21, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #92 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by coredump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And so it begins. I'll bet you'll have an amp within a year. Just like the rest of us non-pros.
bigsmile_face.gif

I am beginning to see that you were right. Browsing through this forum is tempting me to buy an inexpensive amp together with the Ultrasone PRO 550 I am gonna buy.

I think joining this forum is gonna be dangerous to my wallet's health....
beyersmile.png
but hey what's the point of working hard and not buying what you want right?
L3000.gif

Aug 21, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #93 of 123
My listening tastes are all over the map and include real country, jazz, rock, punk, pop, electronic, rap, a little metal, and some classical. Most of the time I listen to rock and electronic.

My current favorite headphones are the Alessandro MS1 and the Ultrasone HFI-680.

The MS1 does kick drum attack really well, and it produces a good amount of low end bass, just not with much detail. The midrange is detailed and forward and treble is sharp, fairly detailed, and sometimes a little on the sibilant side. It does electric guitar tones exceptionally well. If there's a lot going on, sometimes it turns into soup. A really, tasty, satisfying soup. There's no sense of true soundstage.

I also have the AKG K 702. Its instrument separation is pretty insane. It doesn't seem to matter how cluttered the mix is, you can pick out everything, across the entire spectrum. Midrange is very detailed, enough that in rare instances, it'll make a distorted electric guitar come alive in a way that my other headphones can't. It's very unforgiving of hot treble in a recording. Bass is very detailed, but too lean IMO. Soundstage comes across as very wide, not too 3D. These are cans that I greatly admire, but I'm not sure if I'll keep them.

The HFI-680 is somewhere in the middle. It manages electric guitar with more control than the MS1, with about as much detail, and a touch less body, but certainly more than the K 702. Its bass extension and control are quite good. There's a lot of impact and it's capable of hitting low, almost to 25Hz. Treble isn't as detailed as the K 702, but it sounds very clean and smooth, with smooth decay. With my desktop amp a lot of sibilance is reduced, so it actually has the smoothest treble of the three headphones. Instrument separation is very much between the MS1 and the K 702. It's good, but this is an area where the K 702 just seems to excel. Soundstage is interesting. Often it's still wide, but narrower than the K 702. With some recordings I can pick out depth of stage better than with the K 702.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naglfar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can I ask what kind of music do you guys listen to with your Ultrasones? I've been reading the other thread (best cans for thrash metal), and the Pro 900 comes out highly recommended. I am looking for a pair of cans for listening to metal and guitar-heavy music. The Pro 900 is a little over my price range, though I guess I could stretch my budget a little.

I guess my question would be would the HFI 780 (or even 680?) be a good pair of cans for rock and metal? Is the price of the Pro 900, which is 2x the price of the HIF's, justifiable for the sound quality that it can produce? I am using the 702 which is not a great headphone for guitar-heavy music. When listening to metal, the 702 sounds very congested, and the bass is a little thin, though very well controlled. I am looking for something that can maintain good separation for metal music, fast enough to keep up with frantic guitar solo and palm muting, and can reproduce the heavy guitar distortion the way it is meant to be heard - fat, thick and chunky.

Aug 28, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #95 of 123
Personally, I find the Ultrasone range fairly bamboozling in terms of product designations and what-fits-where. For my own sake as much as anything else, these are the Oz prices across the range (taken from the retailer with the largest range of Ultrasones in Oz, and rounded up from the usual '239' etc):

HFI-450 - $240
DJ1 - $250
DJ1Pro - $250
HFI-580 - $290
HF-680 - $320
HFI-780 - $330
Proline550 - $340
Proline650 - $430
Proline750 - $500
Proline2500 - $500
Pro900 - $640
Edition 8 - $2500

I know the Pro900 is very highly regarded on Head-F*, but I havent read a lot about the Proline series : I'll stick with my entry-level Ultrasones for now, but I like what I've hearing so far.

Aug 28, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #96 of 123
I just received an Audio Line Out Recabled w/18g jena cryo cable HFI-780 and I'm just listening now but immediate impressions are positive for me...the bass hits me in the gut and, after reading the threads about discomfort, I'm shocked...these are very very comfortable...I've been wearing them for about 3 hrs straight and no problems at all. I really think that the recabling must be helping because I'm not hearing any shreeking ear-piercing highs at all....very nice phones but let me listen a bit more before I go off. These are my first ultrasones and they sound very well balanced with a bit of emphasis on the bass.

Aug 28, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #97 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by matt9292 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've recently considered buying a pair of ultrasone's and all your guys info is very helpful, although not in my wallet opinion, lol. I was considering the Pro 750

Better to go with the Pro-900, even used.
smile.gif

Aug 28, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #99 of 123
I'm interested too....I'd love some velour pads for the 780s but summer is almost over and I won't mind too much but would love the velours...read somewhere that it made a negative change in the sound....clarity needed...don't want to affect what I'm hearing...cause me likey!

Aug 28, 2009 at 10:10 AM Post #101 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatFan12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, all Ultrasones have bass, that is not their weakness. The 780s also have very piercing highs that make your eyes water, out of the box, along with great deeeeeep bass. The highs and lows seemed detached from each other while still being prominent. Burn-in and a re-cable took care of that.

The 780s do not have deep bass at all in my experience.. they have bass impact at the higher part of the bass spectrum (the "punch" part).

I have worked with EQ to create the same sound signature in music production, and I am pretty sure of this.

But yeah, they have bass. Not that warm and atmospheric deep bass though, in my experience. Maybe there is something different with my pair..?

Aug 28, 2009 at 10:49 AM Post #102 of 123
I dont know about the other Ultrasones, but one of the reasons I bought HFI-550s was to lessen the piercing highs I was getting via my Marantz SACD/CA amp/K601 home listening rig. Several people told me that choosing a darker, bassier set of phones wouldnt fix that - they were wrong. I know the problem is the amp - too bright and lively for some of my music - but I think I just bought myself a reprieve from the need to shell out more cash.

I just finished listening to 'G3 - Live in Tokyo', where three masters of shred guitar do their level best to outdo one another with blazing solos, usually culminating in the highest notes they can wring out of their axes. Messrs Vai, Satriani and Petrucci would have been unbearable on the 601s, soundstage notwithstanding, and I cant wait to try the same album with the MS1s, but the HFI-550s let me feel like I was *at the gig*. Forceful rhythm section absolutely pumping, but not overpowering those soaring guitars in the finale (the truly ancient standard 'Smoke on the Water' - somehow, they breathed new life into a song I've heard way too many times). It was reminiscent of the first time I heard Eddie Van Halen tear into 'Eruption', all those years ago - those goosebumps are just too rare as the years go by and it all starts to sound the same.

If Ultrasone can achieve this with an entry level headphone, I can only imagine how good the Pro550s are. Even at Oz prices, they are still substantially cheaper than the MS-Pro : in any case, they just made my list.
smily_headphones1.gif

estreeter

Aug 28, 2009 at 12:10 PM Post #103 of 123
The Beyerdynamic 250 ear pads fit well on the 580, 680 and 780 cans. They do change the sound a bit, though.

Aug 28, 2009 at 12:24 PM Post #105 of 123
just got my hfi-680's through the post. they're quite bright compared to my Proline 750's. However I'm listening to them unamped, and I don't how much burn in they've had (bought used). I can't say the bass is deep or has the punch of my HD25-1's. In Ultrasone terms, the bass seems quite reserved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back