Opinions on Ultrasone Headphones...?
Aug 18, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #76 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatFan12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own the HFI-580, 680 and 780 (2 pairs). The 580s have more bass than the 680s but less than the 780s and are not as detailed as the 680s or 780s. Still a fun can. The most balanced sound among the three is the 680.
I also own the HFI-700 and it too is balanced in the spectrum, with more bass than the 680 but less than the 780.

IMO, all Ultrasones have bass, that is not their weakness. The 780s also have very piercing highs that make your eyes water, out of the box, along with great deeeeeep bass. The highs and lows seemed detached from each other while still being prominent. Burn-in and a re-cable took care of that.

Thanks very much for this info. I heard that the HFI-680 was the most balanced in the $200-$300 HFI price range, which is why I chose them over the 780. I like what I'm hearing and I think I made the right choice.

Aug 18, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #77 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beyer DT-250 pads have been recommended to make the Ultrasone *80s more comfortable. Mine arrive today.

Following up on this. The Beyer pads are a dream comfort-wise but they do alter the character of my 680s. My first impression is that the bass is a little less impactful but mids are smoother. I'll need much more time with them to be more specific than that though.

Aug 18, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #78 of 123
When it comes to Ultrasone, I prefer the Hfis more than the PROs. The two Ultrasones I still have are Hfi 650 (European version of Hfi700)with a Blue Dragon Cable and Edition 9. I find that the Hfi 650 have a very similar sound signature to the Ed 9 but not as refined. Not sure how big a part the recabling plays here though.

Aug 18, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #79 of 123
Can I ask what kind of music do you guys listen to with your Ultrasones? I've been reading the other thread (best cans for thrash metal), and the Pro 900 comes out highly recommended. I am looking for a pair of cans for listening to metal and guitar-heavy music. The Pro 900 is a little over my price range, though I guess I could stretch my budget a little.

I guess my question would be would the HFI 780 (or even 680?) be a good pair of cans for rock and metal? Is the price of the Pro 900, which is 2x the price of the HIF's, justifiable for the sound quality that it can produce? I am using the 702 which is not a great headphone for guitar-heavy music. When listening to metal, the 702 sounds very congested, and the bass is a little thin, though very well controlled. I am looking for something that can maintain good separation for metal music, fast enough to keep up with frantic guitar solo and palm muting, and can reproduce the heavy guitar distortion the way it is meant to be heard - fat, thick and chunky.

Aug 19, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #80 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When it comes to Ultrasone, I prefer the Hfis more than the PROs. The two Ultrasones I still have are Hfi 650 (European version of Hfi700)with a Blue Dragon Cable and Edition 9. I find that the Hfi 650 have a very similar sound signature to the Ed 9 but not as refined. Not sure how big a part the recabling plays here though.

Is the sound quality difference between the HFI and PRO lines significant or not that much.

The PRO- 550 has attracted me for a few reasons;
1. The Hard Case PRO Box
2. The cables are detachable / replaceable.... I am very bad lucky with headphone cables.
3. The accessories included
4. The price is at the peak of my budget.

However if the sound quality in the HFI's are a lot better than the PRO's I may shift my preference to that line instead. If the SQ is only slightly better I can live with that difference and purchase the PRO- 550.

Aug 19, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #81 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naglfar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can I ask what kind of music do you guys listen to with your Ultrasones? I've been reading the other thread (best cans for thrash metal), and the Pro 900 comes out highly recommended. I am looking for a pair of cans for listening to metal and guitar-heavy music. The Pro 900 is a little over my price range, though I guess I could stretch my budget a little.

I guess my question would be would the HFI 780 (or even 680?) be a good pair of cans for rock and metal? Is the price of the Pro 900, which is 2x the price of the HIF's, justifiable for the sound quality that it can produce? I am using the 702 which is not a great headphone for guitar-heavy music. When listening to metal, the 702 sounds very congested, and the bass is a little thin, though very well controlled. I am looking for something that can maintain good separation for metal music, fast enough to keep up with frantic guitar solo and palm muting, and can reproduce the heavy guitar distortion the way it is meant to be heard - fat, thick and chunky.

After all my headphones buys ive come back to Ultrasone's.... They do so well with metal/punk and electronic, seeing as they are my main genre's i couldnt help myself when i saw the deal on the FS section. I paid pretty much half price for my ALO 780's, which is a steal imo.

The only other can i would recommend for thrash/metal etc, would be the SA5K. But they do not in anyway have the same sort of impact as the 780's. Also the L/R soundstage is bigger on the Ultrasone's.

Aug 19, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #82 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enigma3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the sound quality difference between the HFI and PRO lines significant or not that much.

The PRO- 550 has attracted me for a few reasons;
1. The Hard Case PRO Box
2. The cables are detachable / replaceable.... I am very bad lucky with headphone cables.
3. The accessories included
4. The price is at the peak of my budget.

However if the sound quality in the HFI's are a lot better than the PRO's I may shift my preference to that line instead. If the SQ is only slightly better I can live with that difference and purchase the PRO- 550.

They sound different to me and a lot of people prefer the PRO lines more so I wouldn't say one is better than the other. Sorry this doesn't help you but it is true
redface.gif
. I haven't heard the PRO 550 but I didn't like PRO 750 or 650 too much.

Aug 19, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #83 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They sound different to me and a lot of people prefer the PRO lines more so I wouldn't say one is better than the other. Sorry this doesn't help you but it is true
redface.gif
. I haven't heard the PRO 550 but I didn't like PRO 750 or 650 too much.

Thanks for responding anyways
regular_smile .gif
I have actually done some research on these models on Ultrasone's website and there is no mention of bass in the PRO 650 + 750 character description but they said the PRO-550 has tight and powerful bass....
confused_face.gif
Weird huh.

I guess that's why those other two models were not to your liking.

Aug 19, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #84 of 123
You can´t read how good bass headphones have. Both 750 and 900 have all the bass capability you could ever need. Doesn´t always show it though. Kind of chameleons lol. But it´s always high quality even if it´s often not that much quantity. Depends on how much of a true bass head you are I guess

As for music what I like with my 900 is that it really plays all and it feels like I am getting the real deal pretty much always. Nothing really sounds wrong. With all I mean all genres. Old poorly recorded rock music is nothing it excells at and loudness war can be very apparent
wink.gif

Aug 19, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #85 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can´t read how good bass headphones have. Both 750 and 900 have all the bass capability you could ever need. Doesn´t always show it though. Kind of chameleons lol. But it´s always high quality even if it´s often not that much quantity. Depends on how much of a true bass head you are I guess

As for music what I like with my 900 is that it really plays all and it feels like I am getting the real deal pretty much always. Nothing really sounds wrong. With all I mean all genres. Old poorly recorded rock music is nothing it excells at and loudness war can be very apparent
wink.gif

True....
k701smile.gif

Have you ever tried the PRO-550?

The dumb retailers in my country who sell headphones, DJ equipment etc do not carry Ultrasone so unfortunately I have to rely on reviews of others.

My friend, who does studio / audio work for a living, told me that Ultrasone headphones are one of the best in the world that's why I am willing to invest in the PRO-550 but I would really like some feedback on this particular model before I make my purchase.

Aug 19, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #86 of 123
I have only experience with it´s bigger brothers I am afraid the 750 and 900. Very few in here have the 550 it seems. Maybe Acix have heard them?

Aug 19, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #87 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by 12thgear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks very much for this info. I heard that the HFI-680 was the most balanced in the $200-$300 HFI price range, which is why I chose them over the 780. I like what I'm hearing and I think I made the right choice.

Good choice...Enjoy.....
beerchug.gif

Aug 20, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #88 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enigma3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

One thing to consider, to differentiate between the models is whether they are open or closed 'phones. The Pro750 and Pro900 are closed (one reason why I went for the 750's). You will get more isolation / less leakage with them.

I started writing this under the misconception that all PRO were closed and all HFI were open. However, I did some checking first and see that this is not the case - there are open/closed models in both camps. It would pay to check further if this an important aspect.

Aug 20, 2009 at 11:04 AM Post #89 of 123
I've voted with my wallet - my HFI-550s should be here Monday - but I'm starting to wonder if the Pro900 is fast becoming a FOTM on Head-F* of late
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 20, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #90 of 123
However the 750 and particularly the KeeS modded Pro 900 sound more open then many open headphones. So it´s quite hard to mage that closed versus open differentiation. Doesn´t always apply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back