Opinions on Ultrasone Headphones...?
Aug 16, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #46 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only Ultrasones I could consider upgrading too was if they produced some open headphones...

i thought they do in the way of the 2200 and the 2500. I know the HFI-15g's are open.

Aug 16, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #48 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SuperStock_1433R-945237.jpg

... there he goes, funny in Australia you have to go pick up the package, they don't deliver it to your door.

I have a PO Box, so my item's are received at the Post Office and not left at my door when im at work etc. Some express company's deliver to your door.

*EDIT*

Received my ALO 780's today..... Wow these things are ridiculously good for impact and they sound friggen amazing. Damn! One happy chappy right here!!

Aug 17, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #49 of 123
I have myself some Ultrasone Pro 650's and while they produce great SQ I hate how tight they are around your head. I tried using the old basketball method but it still felt too tight for me. Using glasses made things much worse for me. I felt the need to return them but Guitar Center said no returns due to health reasons so I'm pretty much stuck with them. Might sale them for cheap on the forum however.

Aug 17, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #50 of 123
I think ultrasones are some of the most fun cans that i have listened to. They definitely get my head banging and feet tapping every time i use them. I agree grado are better for the electric guitar but it isnt a night and day difference but i will let you know more when i eventually get my HF2's

The bass on the HFI-780s is amazing...it is so impactful it was a must buy for me.

Aug 17, 2009 at 8:24 AM Post #51 of 123
Im pretty sure my original 780's didnt sound like this in anyway! The bass is insane! It goes deeeeeep way down low! I listen to some hip hop and my ears rumble. Damn! Nice and textured to.

Aug 17, 2009 at 10:51 AM Post #52 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by k1ite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have myself some Ultrasone Pro 650's and while they produce great SQ I hate how tight they are around your head. I tried using the old basketball method but it still felt too tight for me. Using glasses made things much worse for me. I felt the need to return them but Guitar Center said no returns due to health reasons so I'm pretty much stuck with them. Might sale them for cheap on the forum however.

I am amazed how many that realize that you don´t wear the glasses inside the cups you where them on top. There is tons of room for your scalms above the headcups of pretty much any headphone out there. Even the huge K701s
smily_headphones1.gif
I have yet to find any headphone whatsoever that is problematic with my glasses.

Aug 17, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #53 of 123
I have the 2500's.

They are very well built, they are very flat which means you can put your head on the pillow while lazing around and enjoy your music. Love the Pro-Logic 'surround' effect, always nice to hear an instrument or sound suddenly appear from the distance.

I would call them a workhorse type can, I don't get that audiophile type 'sparkle' I had with my Senn HD600's but then I don't have to worry about replacing the cable every six months - these Ultrasones are proving to be bullet proof and they give you a spare cable and pads.

A quality all rounder.

Aug 17, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #55 of 123
I know nsx_23 has tried the Pro 550.... He upgraded to the Pro900 and mentioned it was a great upgrade
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 17, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #56 of 123
Sweet. Unfortunately the cost of the PRO-550 is $235.00US which is a little < $1500.00 in my country's currency is as much as I can spend. I wish my budget could have facilitated a more expensive one but it cannot.
frown.gif

But I must say for the features and accessories of the PRO line, the price does not seem to be all that bad
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 17, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #59 of 123
Enigma3, I think you might actually prefer the Ultrasone Zino portable open headphones to the Pro 550 since one was made for pleasure listening and the other for bringing out details. If you don't have a big thing for detail and soundstaging you'll probably find the Zino to be more euphonic and if it is like my iCans (Zino's predecessor) it will sound good on anything except a computer sound card with windows kmixer.

Aug 18, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #60 of 123
I've done a lot more listening to my Ultrasone HFI-680, pitting it against my other favorite closed headphones, the Denon AH-D2000. It's causing quite the dilemma.

Objectively (and subjectively, usually), it's clear to me that the Ultrasones are more capable headphones. Frequency sweeps show pretty even response from 25Hz to 19KHz (my hearing falls off at 19KHz, so I don't know how high they really extend). Bass is very tight, with strong attack. Bass notes don't seem to bleed into neighboring frequencies, which is better, most of the time (sometimes the Denons do better with upright bass notes). Midrange is fully present, detailed, and enjoyable, not recessed like the Denons. Highs are a bit smoother, specifically with S and CH sounds on a few recordings. Soundstage with music is pretty good, but it's not three-dimensional for me. Movies, however, do have more depth of soundstage with the Ultrasones than with the Denons. Overall, the HFI-680 sounds better to me than the Denon AH-D2000 and musical "sins" where it loses out to the Denons are "sins" of accuracy over pleasure. So I can live with that.

The dilemma occurs regarding comfort, though. The HFI-680 has a strong clamping force, and I get jaw and ear fatigue after about 90 minutes. I also get toasty, sweaty ears. The headband could be softer too, but at least it's better than the AKG K 702. The AH-D2000 are wonderful for home comfort. They have enough clamping force to stay in place, no more, no less. The earpads are large and extremely plush. The headband is very plush too, with a wide contact patch for even pressure. I can wear them all night without any fatigue.

I'm leaning towards replacing the Denon AH-D2000 with the Ultrasone HFI-680. They sound better and they'll travel better since they fold up into a tidy package, but they definitely don't have Denon's easy chair comfort. It'll be a tough decision. The Denons still sound right. But the Ultrasones sound "righter."

By the way, why isn't there more love for the HFI-680 'round these parts? They offer plenty of deep bass, and this is coming from a Denon AH-D2000 owner. The HFI-780 must be bass monsters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back