Opinions on Total Bithead Amp
Jun 4, 2005 at 3:49 PM Post #16 of 20
I don't need to power the amp through the USB bus, however batteries would be prefered. I have most recently decided to go ahead and use my airport express as a line out so that I won't be constrained by the USB limitation. I am considering the Supermacro V3 with opa 627, 4 dip switches... etc. Is the v3 going to be replaced by the v4 anytime soon? Also any thoughs on the new Headroom Micro amp?

Jun 6, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jh8331
I have most recently decided to go ahead and use my airport express as a line out so that I won't be constrained by the USB limitation.

Can you explain (in terms an average mac user like me can understand) how you use the airport express as a line out? How do you connect it up to an amp?
confused.gif

Jun 6, 2005 at 3:36 AM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink
Can you explain (in terms an average mac user like me can understand) how you use the airport express as a line out? How do you connect it up to an amp?
confused.gif

the APX has an 1/8" mini out that can be optical or analog (it has a built-in DAC). You just take a mini>whatever cable to your amp and you're done. If your amp has a DAC, so much the better, use the toslink out from the same jack and let your amp/DAC handle conversion.
Pretty cool product.
The analog out is useable but not great; if you can work in a standalone or integrated DAC you'll like it lots better.
CPW

Jun 6, 2005 at 6:46 AM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamey
When driving higher impedance headphones like the HD600/650, or DT880, it's helpful to make sure that the volume control in both your software program and your control panel is set to full maximum. That sends the best signal to the Total BitHead where you can then adjust the listening level. I find the Total BitHead to give good comfortable listening levels with these phones but, some of my friends (who may be deaf soon) really like to rock out. At that point, an amplifier with more voltage available is the cure. Powering the BitHead off batteries can give a little more juice. It's probably worth noting that some monitor usb ports and some usb hubs offer less power, especially if multiple devices are connected.

I agree with CPW, having a listen is the best way to tell.

Cheers,
Jamey

Big second on this. Occasionally the PC volume control gets reset to 50% when I reconnect my TBH to my Win XP box, and I can't get any decent volume out of my headphones (HFI-700's) until about half way. When the PC volume is max I never take the TBH's volume past 50%... of course the HFI-700's are only 75 Ohms, so your voltage requirements may vary.

Jun 6, 2005 at 8:07 AM Post #20 of 20
I seem to have higher expectations of the Airport Express, my research (through the forum, and through listening) so far leads me to appreciate the quality of the line out of the Airport Express in analog mode. As far a setting it up in simple terms, hook the airport express up to your amp or preamp using the port next to the USB connector on the bottom of the unit. Then connect to the airport through the wireless internet. Then go into iTunes and open preferences. Then go to the audio tab and select "Look for remote speakers connected through Airtunes" and "Disable iTunes volume control for remote speakers." The second preference uses the APX as a pure line out. Exit preferences and you should see a box at the bottom of iTunes next to the EQ that says My Computer. Click on it and choose your airport from the dropdown menu. iTunes should now play over your APX. One other thing, if you want to connect to the Airport through Ethernet rather than wireless (which can get interference in wireless saturated areas) go into the Airport Admin Utility select your APX's prefs and look for a toggle that says something like "Enable Airtunes through Wired Ethernet"

Good Luck, Let me know how it works and sounds!!!
orphsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back