Opinions on these options? (Under $100~ full size decent headphones)
Sep 18, 2012 at 12:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MarX740

New Head-Fier
Okay, definitely not an audiophile by any means but I still like quality in headphones. Having to replace my now deceased HTX7's I am looking at a few different sets.
Looking for some insight on what I should look into/what I've looked at so far.
Music tastes are all over the place, I do like bass but I've found recently I've come to hate the overdone muddy bass and nothing else a lot of cheap headphones provide.(have a pair of wicked audio XYZ's now, awful but they were temporary)
located in Canada btw.
Firstly the Sol Republic Tracks HD on sale here for $100 or the standard Tracks for $80
Second the Marley Jammin' Positive - On sale for $56 right now. 
Third - Creative Aurvana live -Haven't found a local retailer here yet though I hear they have the same drivers as the denon 1001's?
Was looking at the Klipsch image ones but wasn't too impressed with an in store listen, though they were right out of the box so no burn in. Not sure if those get better or not. Found some for $75

Have seen a few other interesting pairs here and there but nothing stood out.
Definitely staying away from any Beats headphones, have read enough bad reviews plus the price is terrible. Might consider the noontec zoro's though. Have heard good things, especially for being a Chinese beats knockoff.

Most often use for these will be at the gym followed by just basically standing around when on breaks at work and home use on the computer. portable device is an iTouch.

Is there any others I should look at? I like the look of the Sol's best but the lack of swiveling cups is kind of a downer as well as I have seen some not too favorable reviews(lots citing the mids being practically nonexistent) 

Sep 18, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
Okay, definitely not an audiophile by any means but I still like quality in headphones. Having to replace my now deceased HTX7's I am looking at a few different sets.
Looking for some insight on what I should look into/what I've looked at so far.
Music tastes are all over the place, I do like bass but I've found recently I've come to hate the overdone muddy bass and nothing else a lot of cheap headphones provide.(have a pair of wicked audio XYZ's now, awful but they were temporary)
located in Canada btw.
Firstly the Sol Republic Tracks HD on sale here for $100 or the standard Tracks for $80
Second the Marley Jammin' Positive - On sale for $56 right now. 
Third - Creative Aurvana live -Haven't found a local retailer here yet though I hear they have the same drivers as the denon 1001's?
Was looking at the Klipsch image ones but wasn't too impressed with an in store listen, though they were right out of the box so no burn in. Not sure if those get better or not. Found some for $75

Have seen a few other interesting pairs here and there but nothing stood out.
Definitely staying away from any Beats headphones, have read enough bad reviews plus the price is terrible. Might consider the noontec zoro's though. Have heard good things, especially for being a Chinese beats knockoff.

Most often use for these will be at the gym followed by just basically standing around when on breaks at work and home use on the computer. portable device is an iTouch.

Is there any others I should look at? I like the look of the Sol's best but the lack of swiveling cups is kind of a downer as well as I have seen some not too favorable reviews(lots citing the mids being practically nonexistent) 

You can try out the Sol Repubic stuff at a local Best Buy if you're in the states. The Sols caught my eye as well, but the physical discomfort on their line of headphones was fairly significant, making it so that I could not enjoy them. Have not heard the Marley or the CAL, was not fond of the Klipsch. Have heard good things about the Noontec as well, have not tried myself.

If you're going to be working out with them, you might want to look into something with a little bit of clamp to it. I generally use IEMs on my runs, but on the crazy days where I feel headphone-y I take my pair of V-Moda Crossfades out. They've been real troopers. The Phillips line has been a pleasant experience for me. Again, both the Downtown and Uptown available to demo at Best Buy.   

Sep 18, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #3 of 6
Yeah, I was planning on it, last time I was at a futureshop they didnt have any on display though. I'm in Canada.
That is definitely a concern, along with the marleys 
I would look at the v-moda's but unfortunately they're out of budget right now.

Sep 18, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #5 of 6
Looked into those just now, on your recommendation, they seem to be known for really liking highs and unfortunately there's nothing I dislike more. While I do like the highs to be there I find it very fatiguing to have them overpowering.
Also definitely staying away from open headphones, noisy environments and not wanting to bug people trump most else.
In doing a bit more research I see the V-Moda Crossfade LP as well as all their others. Question is it worth an extra $60 for LP2's over the LP's? or would I be further ahead going with the V-80/M-80?( I do like the V's a bit better aesthetically) 

Sep 18, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #6 of 6
Have not heard the LP2s, but Val mentioned that they were LPs with tweaks to their sound. Hard to say how significant, but I would imagine not incredibly so. The LPs play well with bassy tracks. I had a co-worker who demoed 5-6 sets of my headphones one day and said she preferred the V-Moda LPs. She was listening to The Spill Canvas too, so it wasn't even a hip hop song that got her. You can probably find a pair of LP1s for about ~100.  

M-80 is getting out of the price range you're looking at. I did not like the fit due to them being on ear. The M-100s that are coming out are over ear and have received very favorable first impressions thus far. But at ~300, it might be something you'd need to justify to your wallet since you're tripling what you planned to spend. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back