Opinions on the Shure SRH750s? Does it require an amp?
May 20, 2010 at 1:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

hudamanium

100+ Head-Fier
I found a pretty good deal on ebay for the SRH750s. Anyone have opinions on those headphones; do you guys recommend these? Are they good for normal listening since they're also supposed to be DJ and monitor headphones. My tastes of music are classical, instrumental, some rock, ambience, etc. (generally smoother or calmer songs).  I never listen to music like hip-hop and rap. These will probably serve as a general use headphones for movies, TV shows, etc also. 

My main concern is whether I will need an amp for the SRH750s. I'm seeing very mixed comments on whether I need one or not. This is going to be my first pair of higher quality headphones and I will not be buying/using an amp for the headphones I end up buying. The driver for these headphones is 50mm and the resistance is 32 ohms. 

Other recommendations for headphones are fine too I'm not set on buying these. 

May 20, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #2 of 17
Hip Hop and rap have been my least listened to genre with these so far. I have been listening to lots of psychedelic ambient, soft rock, indie, acoustic, etc. And they have been able to hand all of it extremely well unamped.
For others who havent read my first impressions on these you can find it here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/492484/need-recommendations-for-a-closed-pair-of-headphones-somewhere-around-100/15#post_6650674
They are a very good all around closed headphone that handles just about anything you can throw at it. The soundstage of live music and classical music is quite amazing for closed cans. I would definitely recommend these to anyone looking for headphones under $150. They are definitely good headphones for listening to music, movies, and games; not just DJing and Monitoring. They give me goose bumps on some songs, just like any other good pair of headphones do for me. Plus the bass is amazing :) not muddy like people say about the M50s, and they just keep burning in better and better :)

May 20, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #3 of 17
hello sir, I think i posted my thoughts on a thread about the 750 dj and covered this topic in it

but ill try to sum it up here

if you are using a powerful mp3 player or source, something like a sansa fuze or something then the 750dj performs excellently.  Amping is needed on ALL headphones to bring out their full potential. 

May 20, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:
if you are using a powerful mp3 player or source, something like a sansa fuze or something then the 750dj performs excellently.  Amping is needed on ALL headphones to bring out their full potential. 

?? Do you have any data to share?  I am wondering how your arrived at that conclusion.

May 20, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #7 of 17
Can you tell me how powerful it is in reference to what?  Also do you have any kind of data to back it up?  How did you arrive at the conclusion?  I don't know if it is powerful or not, unless it is referenced to something(in comparason to something).  Its a DAP, I cannot imagine it being that powerful.

May 20, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #8 of 17

Quote:
Amping is needed on ALL headphones to bring out their full potential. 

A lot of your mainstream headphones are highly efficient, meaning they do not necessarily need amping. The Shure SRH840 don't exactly benefit from amping and my cheapo Sennheisers would probably burst into flames if plugged into my EF5.

However, a good source is needed for all headphones to bring out their full potential. :)

May 20, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Shure SRH840 don't exactly benefit from amping 

I am amazed at how easy it is to drive SRH840.  The looks of the headphones is quite deceiving.

May 21, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #11 of 17
+1 to what Hanson72 said.  Let me add that they will sound fine driven from a laptop (an old 17" macbook pro on my part).  It is very good with instrumental music.  For a DJ can they sound absolutely stunning with symphony music from movie and game soundtracks (i.e. Heart of Courage by Jack Wall for Mass Effect 2 as an example).

I like them over the 840.  The 840 is good, but sometimes you just want more of the low bass without sacrificing the rest of the frequencies. The 750 delivers a fantastic low bass punch without sibilance in the highs.  The 840 sounds very different from the 750.  It has clearer mids with a very tight and controlled bass.  The 750 doesn't need an amp to sound great.  The 840 sounds so much better out of an amp/mixer.

May 21, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #12 of 17

Quote:
High_Q said:

Can you tell me how powerful it is in reference to what?  Also do you have any kind of data to back it up?  How did you arrive at the conclusion?  I don't know if it is powerful or not, unless it is referenced to something(in comparason to something).  Its a DAP, I cannot imagine it being that powerful.

Its not my opinion.  Its fact.  It is a beast of an mp3 player.  It's got enough juice to run some powerful headphones pretty well.  All the Shures run well, IEMS run well that demand power.  It's just a great mp3 player that is a monster in a small package.  It's difficult to find an amp for it.  The T3/T4 are apparently not powerful enough for the fuze, something like the D3-D10 are needed for maximum performance in driving headphones.  Thats just how powerful it is. 

Quote:

A lot of your mainstream headphones are highly efficient, meaning they do not necessarily need amping. The Shure SRH840 don't exactly benefit from amping and my cheapo Sennheisers would probably burst into flames if plugged into my EF5.

However, a good source is needed for all headphones to bring out their full potential. :)

WHOA!  There is a massive difference from an umamped fuze with the Shure 840 and properly amped with something like a more expensive Ibasso.  Even with the Fuze, the shur e840 is flat sounding unless you crank the volume up to max, then its too loud sometimes and still lacks sparkle and kick, bass is much more recessed than if it were amped right.  :\

@Huda, yes, the 750DJ is just as easily driven as the Shure 840s, both would run great via a laptop.  My little netbook drives them both to max potential.  Maybe not as warm and "correct" in what they are supposed to sound like, but yes they will both be maxed out IMO with a laptop.  The zune should play them to "good" levels, but wont push them to their max at all.  Even the fuze can't do that...AMPS ARE REQUIRED to reach the full experience.

FLAC or lossless + good MP3 player with decent EQ and powerful internal amp + good external amping = maxed performance. 

So far I think only the HIFIMAN media player is the only real mp3 player with a powerful amp inside and its crazy expensive that could drive anything to max potential :]

May 21, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #13 of 17
Thanks everyone for the input!

I have decided to go with the SRH750s. I found them for under $100 :D. I will post an update on the headphones after I get them. As for the amping, does anyone know if this one is any good http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E5-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B001P9EQH8? I'll see how things work out but if i need one how are these for my zune?

May 21, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #14 of 17
Nooooo.  I would not recommend E5.  I have tried it.  E5 makes DAPs sound worse.  Save up for a real amplifier if you really want one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back