Opinions on the Polk Hampden desktop speakers?
Sep 4, 2014 at 3:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

shibuya

New Head-Fier
I want to upgrade from my Logitech Z623 speakers and Polk's having their annual 50% off sale that lasts through the 8th. The Polk Hampdens caught my eye since they're now fairly affordable at $200 shipped. I've read some good things about them but the reviews are limited to say the least. Has anyone listened to these?

Sep 4, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #3 of 8
  Doing research on this myself. That's what brought me to your posting.
Hopefully someone can share some insight with us while this sale lasts.

I ended up buying them anyways before Polk realizes that they aren't charging tax for some reason...

Here' s a little write up I found: http://www.destructoid.com/the-best-pc-desktop-speakers-we-found-at-ces-2014-268689.phtml

Sep 8, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #5 of 8
  how r they so far? looks kinda small, like the audioengine A2

I'm getting them in tomorrow. Even though I'm in California and they ship from California, it's taking a few days due to the weekend. 

The Polks are a bit larger than the A2s, they're actually closer to the Audioengine A5+ in size but smaller in each dimension by 1" or so. The A2s are 4 x 6, A5+ are 7x.10.75 and the Polks are 6 x 9.5

The sale ends today so I probably won't be much of any help since I can't listen to them until tomorrow.

I actually found someone who owns them and they told me that they're quite impressive. I'm hoping that's true especially at 1/2 price.

Sep 9, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #6 of 8
I've been listening to them for a few hours and I am very impressed. And these hit pretty hard (and cleanly) for being a 2.0 system. The down-firing bass ports feel like they're directing the bass towards you since the front of the speakers are elevated. 

Sep 13, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #7 of 8
I'm glad they haven't disappointed. I have been looking for some new monitors for office use in our new place next year, sadly Australia is quite the desert island when it comes to hifi. Any further impressions would be appreciated.

Nov 27, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #8 of 8
I own these. Style is ok if you like the '60s. They go into sleep mode after 20 minutes of non-use, so you need to tap on the volume dial to make them come back up (or wait a few seconds for them to do it on their own, which sometimes they don't do) — blame it on the Report from Iron Mountain.

The sound signature is dark, which is what seems to be trendy these days. Volume needs to be around 6 or 7 (out of 10) for the sound to really come alive. Mids and Highs are somewhat recessed compared to the bass.

Personally I much prefer a sound signature that is more open and midrange-oriented, with lush vocals and presence.

I purchased them because I love my Polk Audio LSi speakers (7s, 9s, and 15s). I've heard what they're capable of when paired with a nice Yamaha A-S1000 stereo amp.

But these Hampdens don't do it for me.

I think I'll go back to my little Satechi computer speakers. http://amzn.to/1FvaJ9o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back