Opinions on Sony MDR-D66SL Eggo
Jan 3, 2005 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

tsplash75

100+ Head-Fier
I've been lurking this forum for quite a while now, but finally found myself a reason to post.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've looking for an affordable pair of cans that will fill my need for something closed and will work well with both my NW-HD1 and home audio sources.. ie. pc (audigy 2) and home audio

There have been a lot of glowing reviews I've found on the Eggo's all over the web, but also found people saying it lacks in bass. I find this quite confusing, because I've been a bit of a Sony Geek for pretty much all my years and have always known them to lean towards 'mega bass'.

I know the Eggo's are limited to the Japanese market, so it will be a little tougher to come across actual users of these, but does anyone have any say on the matter?

Jan 3, 2005 at 5:50 PM Post #2 of 20
i had a pair of these for a year and absolutely loved them. i don't know as much about phones as most other members here, but i DO know these cans sounded great, and were super-comfy. your ears/head might get a little warm after extended use, but that's really the only downside to them i can think of.

not sure who said that the bass was subpar... it sounded awesome to me.

unfortunately, after about a year of pretty heavy use, the sound cut out in the left channel, and i'd have to fiddle with the cord constantly to get full stereo sound out of them again.

now my friend owns a pair, and he loves'em too. not sure why mine died on me, as i thought i took pretty good care of them.

any other questions, just shout.
newbies helping newbies... i love it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 3, 2005 at 8:20 PM Post #3 of 20
I've got a pair that I purchased for portable use. They are very good for that purpose because they are light and they fold up and come with a little bag to carry them in. They are also quite comfortable to wear, and provide a decent amount of isolation.

I stopped using them, though, after I bought a pair of Shure E3Cs. I agree with the assessment that the Eggos are somewhat weak in bass, and I am by no means a bass-head. They also sound a bit too bright with some MP3 players (like the iPod). However, if you have a decent equalizer (I used to use them with a Creative Nomad Zen, which had a 5 band EQ) you can EQ out these shortcomings to a great extent.

Jan 3, 2005 at 9:16 PM Post #4 of 20
Ive tried alot of headphones the past year and i think the eggos are the best. Best fit, sound comfort. The D66 does lack a little bass and are a little brite stock. The D77 are the best in the eggo series, best bass and highs

Jan 4, 2005 at 12:16 AM Post #5 of 20
I found another use for D66s. I noted the last time I was on a military plane that my ears hurt after using the earplugs the whole flight, so I thought...I could wear my eggos. It turns out they only block out slightly less and are a heck of a lot more comfortable...and you can listen to music if you feel like it...lol. Anyway, I don't go portable much anymore, but my eggos have served me well.

Jan 4, 2005 at 1:24 AM Post #6 of 20
They do lack in the mid-to-low bass but their mids and soundstage are simply the best in the sub $100 portable biz. They have great attack as well (as do most decent Sony phones) and are very detailed compared to other phones in there price range (especially in the all important midrange) I love them, even if they are somewhat cumbersome for portable use (hard to where around your neck, a little too large).

Jan 4, 2005 at 6:33 AM Post #7 of 20
I also have a pair of D66's and like them. They're inexpensive and are quite comfortable, at least to my ears. You can fold them up to make them more compact when storing them. Bass may not be the D66's strongest point but they have just enough. You can often find a pair new pair available on Ebay.

Jan 4, 2005 at 4:28 PM Post #8 of 20
well.. so far, it seems like the eggo's are gonna do me just fine.

anyone know of a place i can get them for cheaper that 99US, including shipping to canada from audiocubes?

i took a look on ebay, but i must be unlucky since my search turned up without any results.

Jan 4, 2005 at 4:39 PM Post #9 of 20
Do a search on the D66 in the FS forum under headphones as there recently have been a few pairs that are for sale or have interest checks on them. You can also post a WTB in the same forum on the D66's.

Jan 4, 2005 at 4:59 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
Do a search on the D66 in the FS forum under headphones as there recently have been a few pairs that are for sale or have interest checks on them. You can also post a WTB in the same forum on the D66's.

i search 10 pages deep and there was one for trade that had minute damage, one person who wanted to buy a pair, and another that was sold.

come to think of it, i don't think i'd want a pair that were used, since no matter how honest the seller was on the condition and their use, i wouldn't pay anything more than half price for something used.

personally, i just think there are far too many things to consider when buying electronics used and rather than saving 10-15% off the original price, i'd rather have the piece of mind that it's fresh out the box.

that being said, anyone else know of any options i have besides audiocube for a pair of d66 eggo's?

Jan 4, 2005 at 5:09 PM Post #11 of 20
Other than getting them used or through Audiocubes, the only other place I know of to buy them is in Japan. The other places such as minidisco also charge the same price as Audiocubes. Your best bet is probably to wait for it to come up on eBay.

Jan 4, 2005 at 5:26 PM Post #12 of 20
thanks for all your help, head-fiers!

i ended up purchasing the d66's through audiocubes for 99US, including shipping.

i can't wait to receive them!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 13, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #13 of 20
just received the eggo's today. nine days including a weekend... not too shabby from japan.

they are definitely smaller in size than what i was expecting, but i that doesn't take away anything from these marvels. if anything it adds to their cool factor, since when compacted to fit in the included sachet you would have no clue that a pair of headphones was in it. (if not for the lil sony tag stitched into the bag.)

i now understand why everyone who gets a pair immediately falls in love with them. the sound far exceeds anything you'll find at future shop / best buy / circuit city and at a price point that doesn't put an enormous dent in your wallet.

i'm gonna have to do some burn-in to get these things ready for my next trip to vegas, but even without the burn-in time they are sounding very crisp and clear.

if you're looking for a pair of portable headphones, follow the masses, cuz they are indeed correct about these puppies.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 13, 2005 at 9:06 PM Post #14 of 20
glad you like them. i found the d66 eggos sound good depending for the most part on what music is playing. some music sounds great and others sound thin or congested. i hear the same effect with sony's e888 and cd1700. some things sound awesome others... meh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back