Opinions on Sony EX71 for Running?
Dec 26, 2004 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

zyx345

New Head-Fier
I want to get a set of budget earphones for my iPod. I mainly use my iPod for commuting on the NYC subway, NJ PATH trains, & for outdoor running.

How are the Sony EX71s for outdoor running(not treadmill)? Do they stay in your ear well?

Also do they make a lot of unwanted noise from the cord bouncing up & down while running?

Dec 26, 2004 at 7:47 PM Post #3 of 10
Funny, I found almost the opposite as fr4c. Is he speaking after trying them of from speculation.

I have found there to be practically no microphonics in the ex71 cord. Additionally the tips stay in very securly. It's easy to get a good seal with them. And they're cheap and comfortable.

The only reason I would suggest not to use them is because you won't be able to hear oncomming traffic. What I do when I run with them is to only keep one ear in.

Dec 26, 2004 at 8:09 PM Post #4 of 10
You will hear your own footsteps, breathing etc. very clearly when using any type of canalphone. Whether it bothers you or not is another issue. I didn't particularly enjoy wearing the EX51's while running... *thud* *thud* *wheeze*
wink.gif

Dec 26, 2004 at 8:14 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by luukas
You will hear your own footsteps, breathing etc. very clearly when using any type of canalphone. Whether it bothers you or not is another issue. I didn't particularly enjoy wearing the EX51's while running... *thud* *thud* *wheeze*
wink.gif

bingo.

Dec 26, 2004 at 8:29 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by luukas
wink.gif

Its like hearing darth vader breathe all over your tunes.

Dec 27, 2004 at 12:01 AM Post #7 of 10
Hmmm. It seems you guys are right - I just went out and tried it, and theres no question that you hear the thudding and breathing. As you would expect, this also takes place with the e2c.

But this being said, I would still rather use them over a normal pair of headphones as unless your headphones block noise, you're gonna have to crank the volume up really loud to hear your music over the outside noise (something I consider too dangerous).

Dec 27, 2004 at 12:22 AM Post #9 of 10
I had no issues on treadmills and in the gym and walking/running to class with my ex51's. From what I gather they are nearly the same headphone just a slightly different cable option. Anyway, I had no problems hearing those sounds. Eating is a different story, but running and breathing I had no problems with. I'm hoping my new e3c's will respond similarly in the gym.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back