Opinions on Sennheiser IE 7's?
Jan 17, 2009 at 10:54 AM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well i know there is the travel version of the ie6, the CX6 that are ment to more isolation, those might be worth you looking into

I was considering those as well. I may consider paying the extra $40 for the extra isolation but we will see. I just don't want purchase an expansive IEM then have go through the hassle of returning, exchanging, or selling through the internet, if I don't like them.

I found out that the CX6 also has up to -20DB isolation that is the same as IE6/7. Secondly, I read that these closed canalphones. However, the IE6/7 are open canalphones. What is the difference?

Jan 17, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #17 of 20
dobule post.

Jan 17, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found out that the CX6 also has up to -20DB isolation that is the same as IE6/7. Secondly, I read that these closed canalphones. However, the IE6/7 are open canalphones. What is the difference?

The sound isolation specs must be wrong, there is no way the sound isolation with CX6 is the same of the IE6, from the pictures of the IE6 there are big openings in them.

Adapted from: Headphones - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"The housing of the IEMs can be either open or closed:

Open IEMs have an open grille on the back of the earcup (like IE6) or some other venting ports (like IE7), exposing the driver to the outside and allowing sound to go out and outside sound to get in.
They usually have less distortion due to the lack of earcup resonance.

Closed headphones have a sealed backing, which stops the sound to go out and the outside sound to get in.
A sealed chamber is often claimed to have the negative effect of distorting sound in certain frequencies due to resonances within the earcup housing, however, bass frequencies are stronger in a sealed chamber headphone design."

Personaly and generally speaking I would say open headphones sound better than closed headphones.
I would buy closed headphones if I wanted outside sound isolation.

Jan 19, 2009 at 8:56 AM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Any opinions or did you post in the huge IE8 thread?

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in posting about these - I've had them since just before Christmas, but I've been swamped with work, and have had the flu.
frown.gif

I'll try to post a more detailed post tomorrow (mainly because I have a decent post nearly written, but it's at home), but a quicky ...

I've been using them with the small silicon "ball" tips (i.e. not the full mushroom tips - which I couldn't get to fit, but I am cack-handed - nor the foam tips), and have found them to be very comfortable. Sound quality has been excellent, with a decent reproduction of a number of styles of music, ranging from Chick Corea and Stanley Clarke (modern electric jazz), Esbjorn Svennson (more traditional jazz), The Corrs (pop), Rainbow and 3 Doors Down (rock), and Metallica (with the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra) - all without problem. Interestingly, they generate a "pressure" to the sound that I'd normally associate with full headphones. They sound not dis-similar to my (old) Koss Pro4AA's.

Quote:

How is the isolation of IE7

Wearing them at home, the noise isolation is excellent. However, I've found that when walking, they have a tendency to "wobble" themselves loose, to the point of almost falling out, negating any real isolation they may provide. Indoors, setting the volume to 5-7 (out of 30) on my Sony S639 will produce a very comfortable listening volume, and remove any background noise completely. Outside, when they had wobbled loose (it's primarily the right one that does this to me), a volume setting of 9 didn't seem that loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back