Opinions on sealed phones
Apr 7, 2006 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Sycraft

100+ Head-Fier
I need to get some new sealed headphones for work. After 10 years, my Sonys are finally done, the left driver is failing.

So what I'm looking at is something reasonable but good. I don't want to spend a ton, but I don't want cheap either unless there are some really killer cheap phones. Unfortunately, there's basically nowhere in town to go listen, so I rely on 2nd hand info.

My contenders at this point are looking like the Sennheiser HD280s or the Beyerdynamic DT 250-80s. I am a fan of open Sennheisers, but have never listened to closed ones. This will probably be an ampless setup, I don't know that I care to buy an amp for work since I'm not aware of any cheap ones.

No open phone recommendations please, I have good open phones, but those are for home. These need to seal sounds out, and equally imporantly my music in. Also no earbuds, I looked at Ultimate Ears, but decided no.

So I'd like to hear what you all have to say about the two I'm interested in, or any others in that general range ($100-$150ish) I should consider.

Thanks.

Apr 7, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #2 of 16
The Audio Technica ATH-A500 is a bargain for entry-level closed cans ($100). On the downside, the drivers are HUGE and you look like a dork while wearing them.
tongue.gif

Apr 7, 2006 at 6:20 AM Post #3 of 16
I believe the HD280 Pro will provide you the best isolation from full-sized cans, so that's a good choice if that's what your priority is.

Just FYI, the AKG K271 S is a very nice closed phone (~150), but it needs an amp to really show its worth, so it's probably not ideal. Last I heard, it doesn't isolate as well as the 280.

Just as Asr said, the A500 (best ordered from www.audiocubes.com) is supposed to be a very nice. It's a very efficient can with a low impedance, and has been reported to reach almost full potential with any source (i.e. they're not picky phones). Someone told me that these isolate the least of the three mentioned here.

-So if your priority is isolation, go with the HD280 and if it's good sound without an amp, you may want to consider the A500. Which of those two you prefer is all personal preference, of course.

On second thought, there are also cheaper alternatives. The AKG K81 DJ has been getting positive attention since it was recently released, and can be had from Headroom (www.headphone.com) for about $80. Even cheaper is the K26P ($40 from Headroom, I believe). Both of these are supraural, so comfort/sealage might be an issue.

EDIT: Which Sony's did you have and what kind of sound signature are you looking for? What are your musical tastes?

Apr 7, 2006 at 7:45 AM Post #4 of 16
Isolation isn't super important, the point is mainly to keep the music in rather than external noise out, I'm not doing critical listening or anything, just background when I feel like it at work. It's just office noise too, computers and speech mostly.

My musical tastes are rather hard to quantify. There's little I don't listen to, I guess I've done enough performance and production to appreciate almost all kinds of music.

The Sony's I had were MDR-570s, they don't make them anymore. They weren't stellar phones, kinda harsh, weak bass, but they were solid. I bought them in 1996 and they survived many a club gig among other things. Highly efficient, to the point I have to have my soundcard turned almsot all the way down.

The sound I'm looking for? Well if I could take Sennheiser 600s and seal them (and get them for cheap), that's what I'd do. I like the 600s. Dark, I suppose is the word that you'd use, as I also really like B&W speakers and that's what I usually listen on at home.

One thing i should mention is comfort is a concern. I wear glasses so I can't have something squeezing my head as it'll press my frams in to my head and that's not plesant over long periods. The Sonys sat pretty light on the head and so were good for that.

Apr 7, 2006 at 7:47 AM Post #5 of 16
If you don't mind doing your own modding(easiest is duct tape) you can buy any open 'cans and make them into closed

IMHO, the open candidates are much better long term solutions
but that all depends on wether you want to spend more $ on audio down the road... or you want this to be your final purchase

Apr 7, 2006 at 7:52 AM Post #6 of 16
I suggest the Audio-Technica ATH-M30. I got some for listening at work from a laptop and they are gradually becoming my favorite cans. I do not know how they compare to the ATH-A500, but you can get them for about half the price. (50 USD on Amazon.com)
I also have the AKG K81DJ, which I use on-the-go. I prefer the ATH-M30 for extended listening. They offer better comfort, better soundstage, and a seemingly less fatiguing - more balanced sound.

See here for a review:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...hlight=ATH-M30

Apr 7, 2006 at 2:11 PM Post #7 of 16
I've tried both the headphones you mentioned, and I can definitely say I like the Beyer 250's better. I was *really* dissapointed in the sound of the senn 280's when I tried them out (for 2 hours). I also came from Sony headphones, and although I know someone will undoubtedly blast me for saying this, I found the 280's to have worse sound quality then my $30 Sony's. The vocals I was listening to lost a lot of their detail.

The other problem with the 280's is that yeah, they're more isolating, but in exchange they have a bigger clamping force and they make your ears sweat. Not the best for work, in that regard.

I kept the Beyer 250's for work, and I pretty much like them.

Apr 7, 2006 at 2:42 PM Post #9 of 16
All of those people recommending HD280's, K81DJ's and DT250's over A500 in sound quality, should buy a pair of A500 atleast. It's a killer phone and your wallet and ear both will thank you for this buy.
wink.gif

Apr 7, 2006 at 3:00 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by manchau
All of those people recommending HD280's, K81DJ's and DT250's over A500 in sound quality, should buy a pair of A500 atleast. It's a killer phone and your wallet and ear both will thank you for this buy.
wink.gif

I'm waiting on the ATH-A900's. I hope they'll be better than everything else mentioned in this thread.
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 7, 2006 at 7:55 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headphony
That seems like a nice headphone. It would be interesting to know how they compare to ATH-A900's.

Me to. You know, if you want to send me your pair of a900's, I would be more than happy to compare and contrast...(haha)

Apr 7, 2006 at 11:28 PM Post #13 of 16
The Audio Technicas interest me a lot, in no small way because their supports look very similar to the supports on my MDR headphones.

So the question then is how worth it would it be to get 900s (or perhaps 700s) instead of 500s? I'm not asking if the 900s are better, of course they are, but do you think it's a case where there'd be a beneift, given that they'll be used mainly on a a pretty weak source (Audigy 2, if you are wondering) or should I give it a miss unless I want to do some source upgrades?

I'm not particularly looking to blow a lot of money on these, but then I'm well farmilar with how stupid it can be to undersell yourself.

Maybe I shoudl just stop whining and bring my PPA in to work or something.
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2006 at 3:54 PM Post #15 of 16
If you can afford it, A900 should fit your bill. You may be happy with A500 intially, but a bad case of the upgraditus will get you. Once you hear A900 on a descent equipment, you will want to upgrade to A900.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sycraft
The Audio Technicas interest me a lot, in no small way because their supports look very similar to the supports on my MDR headphones.

So the question then is how worth it would it be to get 900s (or perhaps 700s) instead of 500s? I'm not asking if the 900s are better, of course they are, but do you think it's a case where there'd be a beneift, given that they'll be used mainly on a a pretty weak source (Audigy 2, if you are wondering) or should I give it a miss unless I want to do some source upgrades?

I'm not particularly looking to blow a lot of money on these, but then I'm well farmilar with how stupid it can be to undersell yourself.

Maybe I shoudl just stop whining and bring my PPA in to work or something.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back