Opinions on Schiit amp
Apr 28, 2017 at 9:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jamweiser

100+ Head-Fier
I've been looking at purchasing an amp to listen to at home. The headphones i have at home are Fostex TH-X00, and Hifiman he-400i.

The two amp's i'm interested in are the Jotunheim & Lyr2. Based on the headphones i have does either of these amps favor what i have? Or is that not an issue/concern?

I'm very eclectic on music.

Thanks for any input, anyone would like to share.

Apr 28, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #2 of 7
I own the HE-400i and also a Lyr and Jot. Both work equally well with the 400i, but I use the 400i balanced with the Jot. I don't believe there is any difference in sound quality, I just prefer them in balanced configuration.

Apr 28, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #3 of 7
I have the TH-X00 Purpleheart and run that as my closed-back into the Jotunheim (AMP only). To my ears, the Jotunheim adds a little bit to clarity and tends to slightly favor treble, which pairs really well with the TH-X00 which tend to be a little bass-heavy.

I don't have the HE-400i, but I do run a pair of Audeze EL-8O (2016 revision), and the Jot does fairly well with planar headphones as well.

Apr 30, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for the replies, wanted to know how both would sound on either. I listened to both at Axpona, but wanted to hear input on the headphones that i have at home. I've been leaning towards the jot, mainly for the balanced capabilities of future headphones.

Now i just have to decide if i wanna go with the built in dac or go the modi multibit

May 1, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #5 of 7
I've been looking at purchasing an amp to listen to at home. The headphones i have at home are Fostex TH-X00, and Hifiman he-400i.

The two amp's i'm interested in are the Jotunheim & Lyr2. Based on the headphones i have does either of these amps favor what i have? Or is that not an issue/concern?

I'm very eclectic on music.

Thanks for any input, anyone would like to share.

Jotunheim on SE mode outputs less than half the power of the Lyr, so you basically spend nearly as much for a lot less unless you spend more on each headphone's balanced cable.

May 1, 2017 at 6:44 AM Post #6 of 7
Jotunheim on SE mode outputs less than half the power of the Lyr, so you basically spend nearly as much for a lot less unless you spend more on each headphone's balanced cable.

Umm now that kinda sucks.... Guess one good thing about me is, I'm not an impluse buyer :)

May 2, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #7 of 7
It's true that the SE output is lower on the jotunheim, but using the TH-X00s comfortably for me is to have the dial turned up between a quarter and halfway up, so, I wouldn't be terribly worried about its ability to drive things either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back