Opinions on replacement for UE SF3
Jan 6, 2010 at 12:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

geralt_ll

Head-Fier
Hi, my portable IEM- UE SF3 will require a replacement soon. It's been in use for over a year and a half, with ES2 cables.
Although it is not one of the top tier IEMs I have, I use it when I commute and at work. It's performance and price suits my purpose, and I'd rather not want to worry about carrying high end equipment around.

I've been reading old threads. Klipsch S2, and S4 are not available for me. However I've tried S4 when I was abroad (in HK).
I doubt I'll buy another SF3. I am considering:

1.SE210
2.ER6i
3.UM1 (doubt I will like the sound signature)

I don't particularly like the new range of UE products.

I was also thinking of a used W3 if my options are limited. I've read W3 appreciation threads, and HPA's review. Auditioned it too- but not long enough to develop a full impression.

Any thoughts on the path forward?
Somehow I feel that in my list, those 3 IEMs aren't worth paying for with better IEMs and sales at the moment.

Jan 6, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #2 of 6
I've got the Altec Lansing UHP336's (rebranded SF3's), and I was in a similar situation a few months ago. They were pretty good until I upgraded to the RE0's. Although I haven't heard many IEMs, I've read that the RE0's would be a step up from the ones you've listed so far (except the Westone 3). There's alot of hype with RE0's, but they were a huge upgrade from UHP336's. Lots more details, the highs are actually present, and they fit much better. Consider them too.

I've also got the Klipsch S4's. They're really not much of an upgrade over the SF3's/UHP336's. Mine have about 80 hours or so on them, so maybe this will improve over time. I think my S4's sound better than my UHP336's, but not by a wide margin. Honestly, they really don't sound much better than the Kramer modded Marshmallows I had. The S4's fit better, but don't sound all that much better.

Jan 6, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #4 of 6
If you like the sound signature of the SF3, the Phiaton PS200 is a excellent choice. Till today, I think it's the most impressive dual driver monitor on the market today. It's got the most clarity, crispness, detail, and that sense of freshness in the highs and mids that i haven't been able to find in other monitors on the market today. The lows are a bit weaker, but definitely offer a adequate amount of punch.

Jan 6, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #6 of 6
I just came back from auditioning the SE210. Don't like it enough to buy it.

My SF3 is fitted with ES2 cables. I am looking for a similar sound or better, with this described configuration.
I have the PL50s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back