Opinions on readings for beginners?
Oct 10, 2005 at 4:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

spinneresque

100+ Head-Fier
I would love some kind of book or ebook or some kind of literature that explains the basics of how electronic equipment works... ideally it would include explanations of the relationships between headphones or speakers, their amplifications and their ideal electrical relationships. Has anyone found the holy grail in this regard?

Oct 10, 2005 at 5:07 AM Post #2 of 10
The standard answer is:

Horowitz and Hill, The Art of Electronics.
Cambridge University Press; 2 edition (July 28, 1989)
ISBN: 0521370957

Even professional EEs like this book, as it provides a quick reference to useful things. It is however written as a guide for the non-professional who needs to design and construct electronic devices. Whilst not directly directed at the audio fraternity - and therefore missing the detailed stuff on discussions of the relative merits of particulars of audio, it is a very useful book.

One that could be perfect is currently out of print, but there is discussion on the DIYAudio groups about a reprint, is John Linsley Hood's The Art of Linear Electronics. Newnes; 2nd edition (June, 1998) ISBN: 0750637463
It would be a great starting place.

Oct 10, 2005 at 6:38 AM Post #3 of 10
Cool, that is the one book I have already. I just got it. Anything else?

Oct 10, 2005 at 1:04 PM Post #4 of 10
Oct 10, 2005 at 7:31 PM Post #5 of 10
does anyone ever check the links section here ?
wink.gif

Oct 10, 2005 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 10
Oct 10, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #8 of 10
Any chance to break the links page into many different pages? Also, if you are in need of help Rick, I'd be glad to offer my services.

Oct 10, 2005 at 8:33 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Any chance to break the links page into many different pages? Also, if you are in need of help Rick, .

I have considered that as the size has grown but then when i realise how many have trouble even finding that section (along with the rules
very_evil_smiley.gif
) I am a bit gun shy about any "tinkering".

Quote:

I'd be glad to offer my services

thanks for the offer man but this is one of those "change it/look at it/change it/look at it" until satisfied deals.I tinker until I like the look rather than go with a plan so have no idea what "it" wants to be until it gets there.
blink.gif

Oct 11, 2005 at 12:14 AM Post #10 of 10
Hi, thanks, I saw the section and looked at it but it seems a bit overwhelming. That's why I was hoping for a more specific, all-in-one beginner's kind of book. thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back