Opinions on people that couldn't care less about headphone quality?
Aug 20, 2006 at 5:16 AM Post #16 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaughtfried
Different strokes for different folks.

I can't understand why people spend thousands of dollars on jewllery but if it makes em' happy, why stand in their way?

Exactly. To each his/her own. Granted Head-Fi isn't such a major hobby, but I respect all hobbies... even bizzare ones. I also spend thousands of dollars on camera equipment without blinking and eye, and people are like "holy crap that's expensive for just a stand" (spending $150+ on a tripod) but it's what I need and want (more important).

And in the end, it's about the music. So if people are happy rocking out with their iBuds, so be it. As long as you're enjoying the music.

Some people also care about how they look. iBuds match their outfit. People scream "Vain!" but I personally have nothing against it. I actually think an all-black outfit with a shuffle and iBuds plus white accessories (white-rimmed glasses, white watch) looks really sexy and can be done well.

Aug 20, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #17 of 86
Alot of people are comparing expensive headphones to expensive cars and such.

The one difference is people buy luxurious cars all the times. Headphones? Unless you go to a specialty store or shop online you're not going to find a nice pair of headphones at Best Buy, Curcuit City, or any other chain stores. Mainly people can justify spending the extra money on a nicer car, hell, someone I know just bought a slightly used Lincoln and the thing has some of the coolest features I've ever saw. People justify the price due to that. Headphones? They just sound better, or possibly are more comfortable (which isn't the case some times).

Aug 20, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #18 of 86
my opinion?

Whatever you do, don't start talking to them about headphones. It will make them want to strangle you.

Otherwise, speak when spoken to. I advise friends and family on what to get, but it's if they ask me, and try and supply them with easy answers. KSC 75, PX100, KTX-pro1 can all be had for non-balking-at prices which is basically awesome.

Aug 20, 2006 at 5:51 AM Post #19 of 86
People at work think I am crazy for buying a headphone amp. The soundcard and cans they can somewhat understand, but the amp really baffles them. As others have mentioned, people spend their money on crazy things and it's all a matter of personal priorities.

I'm starting to agree that the best thing may be to not talk about this stuff unless the people are into hi-fi.

Aug 20, 2006 at 5:52 AM Post #20 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkmo
my opinion?

Whatever you do, don't start talking to them about headphones. It will make them want to strangle you.

Otherwise, speak when spoken to. I advise friends and family on what to get, but it's if they ask me, and try and supply them with easy answers. KSC 75, PX100, KTX-pro1 can all be had for non-balking-at prices which is basically awesome.

Agreed. I don't know how many times I've grumbled when someone has mentioned to me, "I really should order another pair of ipod headphones."

Granted, they're not that bad, but if your going to blow $30 including shipping why not spend an extra $10 or so and get some Sennheisers.

Aug 20, 2006 at 6:09 AM Post #21 of 86
You have to keep in mind that just because one person has an ORPHEUS rig, and somebody else is listening to some 128kbps mp3s through an iPod, does NOT mean that the former is enjoying music any more than the latter. I know that this is VERY hard for people to swallow around here, but people are able to enjoy music with cheap stock headphones as much as someone who has a $10k electrostat rig. You have to keep in mind that NO headphones can change a song; a lot of people like to listen to music and not silly and expensive amps, DACs, etc. You just have to keep in mind that it's all about the music in the end and that all of your ridiculously expensive gear is worthless without the music that you put in it, whether it be an SACD or a 128kbps mp3. I can definetly tell you that I am enjoying music today with my STAX rig no more than I enjoyed music with my ghetto mp3 CDP with stock headphones. And guess what, my music sounded MAGICAL and PERFECT with those headphones. And guess what, my music still sounds MAGICAL and PERFECT with my STAX earspeakers. Just because iPod earbuds sound like crap to you coming from your high end rig doesn't mean that everybody else is also hearing that crap. If someone hasn't ever heard anything better than stock iPod earbuds, then that person is hearing the best sound EVER through that iPod system...just as some people here are hearing the best sound EVER through their expensive G08 rigs. You cannot miss what has never been there.

Aug 20, 2006 at 6:13 AM Post #22 of 86
WoT there
blink.gif

And yes Azure, we know about that...you do support Bose after all
wink.gif

Aug 20, 2006 at 6:18 AM Post #23 of 86
I totally agree with you Azure, but to say you enjoyed music the same with the cheaper headphones as much as you do with the expensive ones? What's the point of purchasing expensive headphones if that is the case?

Personally, cheaper headphones make you miss out on alot of the music's characteristics. Your not hearing the bass line like its supossed to be heard, it's not as clear and sounds jumbled when you use cheaper headhpones.

That's not to say I haven't used cheap headphones. I still have my ipod buds lying around here for when I jog. I would like to buy some nicer in-ears for jogging but right now I'm still enjoying my SR-80s.

Aug 20, 2006 at 6:19 AM Post #24 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom
you do support Bose after all
wink.gif

confused.gif

I just don't flame BOSE products like others because I haven't heard any BOSE products. This can be perceived as support in the middle of the myriad of flame posts regarding BOSE products, but that is NOT what it is.

Corbet - I don't know about others, but I bought expensive headphones to hear what I've been supposedly missing all this time, and yes I can see that I've been missing out on a good deal of sound. But until I heard that sound, I was perfectly content with the sound I was getting. And guess what, I'm still perfectly content with the sound produced by my STAX earspeakers.

I believe unless you've heard your specific music in BETTER QUALITY, your stock cheapo headphones should sound no more better to you at THAT time (When you haven't heard anything better) than your audiophile ones do after you hear them (After that OMG-new-high-end-headphones honeymoon period).

Aug 20, 2006 at 6:20 AM Post #25 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3
By the same token another might say "Personally I think anyone that would spent more than $20 on a headphone when all they do is let you listen to the music on the player has very messed up priorities." And still more, for many people, they think you are crazy for spending 20k on a car. It's all about how much money people are willing to spend for enjoyment (whether it be from quality construction, luxury, good sound, bragging rights, good looks, etc). That's how the consumer market works.

Our family has both a loaded Audi A8 L and Grado Rs-1's. They both accomplish the goal for which they were made; to listen to music and to transport people, and do so quite effectivley.

As someone who just took a 12 hour straight road trip to check out Oberlin and the Cincinnatti College-Conservatory of Music, I can tell you that it was much more enjoyable to travel in a car that cost $85,000 than one that cost $20,000. Also, as someone who owns RS-1's, I can tell you that it is much more enjoyable to listen to music with them than the $10 ibuds.

Quite simply, it's all about enjoyment. The more enjoyable something is, generally, the more expensive it will be. As for the general public, many simply don't know that better exists. And those that do generally want it, but buy Bose thanks to their marketing.

I dont agree with the car analogy.. Audis, BMWs and the rest of them arent grados, theyre bose.

Honestly, i enjoy being in our used $10,000(worth about 1/3rd that now) dodge neon more than in our $40,000 BMW. The seats are comfier and it has more legroom, i also dont like the feel of the leather. YMMV i guess, but i think luxury cars are a waste of money. My first car will probably be in the 7-10 grand range, something like that new toyota Yaris. The only time i could see justifying getting a car over 20 grand is if youre getting a prius.

Aug 20, 2006 at 6:25 AM Post #26 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by drizek
My first car will probably be in the 7-10 grand range, something like that new toyota Yaris. The only time i could see justifying getting a car over 20 grand is if youre getting a prius.

Heh, you sound like me. Not to derail my own thread though.

My girlfriend wants a Yaris... I'm trying to talk her into a Prius. The only thing I have a problem with is lack of navigation. Maybe they have it and I didn't notice on the site.

Anyways... back on topic somewhat...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
confused.gif

I just don't flame BOSE products like others because I haven't heard any BOSE products. This can be perceived as support in the middle of the myriad of flame posts regarding BOSE products, but that is NOT what it is.

I totally agree. I don't have a problem with BOSE, I have a problem with their prices. I listened to a demo of their 3-piece "surround sound" speakers. Not bad for 3-speakers, replicated "surround sound" pretty nicely, but they cost about $350 IIRC. With that much you could buy a decent 5.1 set-up and have true surround sound.

Aug 20, 2006 at 6:55 AM Post #27 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
I believe unless you've heard your specific music in BETTER QUALITY, your stock cheapo headphones should sound no more better to you at THAT time (When you haven't heard anything better) than your audiophile ones do after you hear them (After that OMG-new-high-end-headphones honeymoon period).

Yup... one cannot know he's surrounded by the darkness in the cave unless one has ventured outside to see the light

Aug 20, 2006 at 6:56 AM Post #28 of 86
You know with all the hatred the iPod headphones get, I actually like them. I use mine for working out and they sound fine to my ears, they have a sense of soundstage which suprised me, and they are good for what i do.

I don't sit around and listen to my iPod, I use it for working out, and mountain biking. For working out I have a lot of fast paced music, a lot of electronic music, some metal, some alt rock. For mountain biking I listen to nothing but Boards of Canada.

When I have been running for 35 min on a treadmil, and I am down to my last 10 or 15 minutes with sweat pouring off of me, I don't think "man I wish the mids weren't so muffled" or anything like that.

Similarly when I am biking up the mountains enjoying the view of my city, Boards of Canada really ads a lot to the experience. Never have I thought about quality when flying down the trails.

The only thing I would change maybe is cans that block out some(not all) ambient noise so I could go downhill and still hear the music without turning up the volume

Aug 20, 2006 at 7:14 AM Post #29 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Svperstar
You know with all the hatred the iPod headphones get, I actually like them. I use mine for working out and they sound fine to my ears, they have a sense of soundstage which suprised me, and they are good for what i do.

I don't sit around and listen to my iPod, I use it for working out, and mountain biking. For working out I have a lot of fast paced music, a lot of electronic music, some metal, some alt rock. For mountain biking I listen to nothing but Boards of Canada.

When I have been running for 35 min on a treadmil, and I am down to my last 10 or 15 minutes with sweat pouring off of me, I don't think "man I wish the mids weren't so muffled" or anything like that.

Similarly when I am biking up the mountains enjoying the view of my city, Boards of Canada really ads a lot to the experience. Never have I thought about quality when flying down the trails.

The only thing I would change maybe is cans that block out some(not all) ambient noise so I could go downhill and still hear the music without turning up the volume

I don't think anyone's argueing about the quality of headphones when excercising. Your not really focusing on the music, it's just good to listen to something, anything, to get you going. Atleast that's how I see it.

Aug 20, 2006 at 8:18 AM Post #30 of 86
i think the most common issue here is why people have expensive $200-300 players and they dont give a crap about the headphones/earphones that theyre using with it.
here in my place, if you tell people who have mp3 players to upgrade from stock earbuds to even a $20 earphone, they think its already absurd. if you recommend a $100 earphone, they think youre crazy
biggrin.gif

its like pairing a gamer's pc with a conroe/fx62 and onboard videocard. haha
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back