opinions on MS-1's with and without comfy foam pads
Mar 18, 2007 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

robertmetal

Head-Fier
hi there, i bought a pair of alessandro MS-1's a little while back and ive been very satisfied with them. the only thing i would change about them would be to have a deeper bass responce (but i shouldnt really complain at there price ). the ms1's have the comfy ear pads (the ones that grado sr-60's have i think). i have tried taking the pads off to listen to them as i guess this is what they sound like with the foams bowls on (as there isnt any foam in the way and i had read that thsi would improve their sound) but i found them a little harsh in the mids and highs (but maybe thats just cos my ears were used to the sound with the comfies on?)and the bass responce seem to be reduced also without the comfies. is this just me or has anyone else experienced this?

thanks, robert.

Mar 18, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #2 of 18
just have a read here in the pads comparison-thread

or for a quick note: the comfies and unmodded HD414 pads provide more bass than quarter-modded HD414 / comfies or flats and those still provide more bass than bowls

Mar 18, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Televator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just have a read here in the pads comparison-thread

or for a quick note: the comfies and unmodded HD414 pads provide more bass than quarter-modded HD414 / comfies or flats and those still provide more bass than bowls

i beg to differ. the modded comfies and hd414's bring out the bass. the flats have the most bass out of all the pads. maybe you have it the wrong way, but that's the general concensus including mine! or maybe your ears are different i don't know, but flats are generally considered the "bassiest" of the pads.

Mar 18, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #4 of 18
i couldnt stand my MS1 with the comfy pads. The sound is too bassey and it covers up that wonderful grado crispy high sound.

bowls all the way for me, just getting use to them is the problem.

Mar 18, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #6 of 18
soon i will have my ms1 with bowls that my sr80's left and we'll see. Until now I like my modded bowls most - it was open like bowls, but flat like comfies (well, actually they were just uberly worn bowl pads, that were very flat) so that the speakers were close to ear, but further than with comfies with hole in the middle and that was like perfect - there was punchy bass and still, the highs were very crisp

Mar 18, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by poonpower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow, 3 people, 3 different opinions, now the OP will be even more confused.
Including me

Actually HighLife and I don't have different opinions. Bowls definitly do not provide as much bass as comfies, flats, hd414's.

Bass quantity in increasing order

Bowls<HD414<Comfies<Flats

Mar 18, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i beg to differ. the modded comfies and hd414's bring out the bass. the flats have the most bass out of all the pads. maybe you have it the wrong way, but that's the general concensus including mine! or maybe your ears are different i don't know, but flats are generally considered the "bassiest" of the pads.

ah... I should have left the flats out. I assumed they'd sound a bit like the modded comfies/HD414s (they look like them) but I haven't heard them myself. Sounds like the thicker/denser foam keep more bass than the modded lookalikes... sounds logical.

But comparing the modded vs unmodded HD414s, I'd definitely say the unmodded do sound bassier. The modded pads do not offer less bass and in fact what bass there is is delivered more punchy and precise, BUT the highs are much clearer as well (because of the open path from driver to ear). As, in comparison with the modded pads, the highs are attenuated a bit on grados with the unmodded pads, the latter appear to be bassier.

so for me the pads I've heard in increasing perceived bass:
bowls < modded HD414 < HD414 < comfies

Mar 19, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by poonpower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow, 3 people, 3 different opinions, now the OP will be even more confused.

Welcome to Head-Fi.
wink.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Televator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ah... I should have left the flats out. I assumed they'd sound a bit like the modded comfies/HD414s (they look like them) but I haven't heard them myself.

I just love it when people post opinions about how something sounds when they have zero first-hand experience with said item.
blink.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just love it when people post opinions about how something sounds when they have zero first-hand experience with said item.
blink.gif

lol yeah seriously. flats provide the most bass out of any of the pads. lol. modded comfies and the modded hd414's are most like the flats, so therefore they do provide more bass. and this is coming from first-hand experience!
580smile.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #12 of 18
Yep., as far as Grados are concerned Todd's Flats are about as bassy as you get with pads. They're drawback (in my opinion) is that the already small soundstage most Grados possess is completely squashed with flats. Some people are willing to make that tradeoff for the increased bass, but personally I never liked flats, even with RS-1s.

Mar 19, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #13 of 18
i never had the 414 pads. I might pick up a pair to try later on.

I have tried the comfy and the bowls. There is no doubt that the comfy do provide more bass, but it does completely kill what little soundstage the grado has. Also, it covers up that nice grado crisp high sound.

The bowls provide more soundstage and the highs are not covered up. Really nice crisp sound that grado gives is what a grado is all about. The bowls are not nearly as comfortable as the comfy, but to my ears, there is no doubt the bowls sound better.

Honestly, if you want bass....then grado is not the can for you. I would listen to a really bassey type can and you can see what a bassey can sounds like.

I use the 580s if i want a darker sound and i mean DARK. The bass is sure deeper then my SR225, but there is also a very dark high sound. This is what people refer to as the Sennheiser veil.

Mar 19, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #14 of 18
my experience is only with comfies and 414 pads.

the difference in sound was pretty much subtle for me. very subtle... i had some prior thoughts expecting it to be night and day. though after getting used to the 414 pads i really dont want to go back to the comfies

Mar 19, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by reivaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my experience is only with comfies and 414 pads.

the difference in sound was pretty much subtle for me. very subtle... i had some prior thoughts expecting it to be night and day. though after getting used to the 414 pads i really dont want to go back to the comfies

try the bowl pads. If the 414 and the comfy arent much different, then the bowls should be a HUGE difference to you. The comfy and bowl pads are pretty large difference in sound imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back