Opinions on Kramer mod to Koss KSC-75?
Dec 8, 2008 at 4:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

planetluvver

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I have recently purchased three pair of the KSC-75, and I have seen many members here are interested in buying these phones, and doing a Kramer modification to them. If this is an improvement in sound quality, then I am wondering why Koss would choose to put fewer holes in the grille than optimal in the initial design?

I am curious about the motivation of people who modify their equipment. Is this something you do because of dissatisfaction with equipment, or is it a form of self-expression?

Dec 8, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by planetluvver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

I have recently purchased three pair of the KSC-75, and I have seen many members here are interested in buying these phones, and doing a Kramer modification to them. If this is an improvement in sound quality, then I am wondering why Koss would choose to put fewer holes in the grille than optimal in the initial design?

I am curious about the motivation of people who modify their equipment. Is this something you do because of dissatisfaction with equipment, or is it a form of self-expression?

I can't speak for everybody, but I tend to modify my headphones when I either:
A) Have a spare set so I can compare and contrast and decide if a modification is really worthwhile
B) I am bored of the sound signature of the headphone and want to try something new for a change
C) I accidentally break a pair of headphones and see what I can do to salvage them.

In regards to why Koss puts fewer holes in their grills, the answer is that they designed the phones with a specific sound in mind. Innovative people like Kramer just found a way to coax a different sound signature out of the same phones with just a little bit of playing around. In this case, it isn't that drilling more holes into the grills is optimal, its that doing so changes the sound signature to a new sound signature that many people have found more enjoyable. I personally have a pair of KSC-75 that are stock and a pair that are Kramer Modded, Quarter Modded and Headband Modded, and I still haven't fully decided which I prefer.

Dec 8, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for your explanation. Some posters spoke of 'improving' the headphones, and it didn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

I thought that three pairs of the KSC-75s was enough for me, but now I am tempted to go back to Radio Shack, and buy a few more pairs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back