Opinions on Iriver S10?
Jan 11, 2007 at 8:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

mitchjordan

100+ Head-Fier
With the Gen 2 shuffles inherent hissing problems, this seems like the perfect little dap. Im definetly willing to spend the $20 more on the 1gb version..

Who owns one? Do you like it? Is it let down by the 8 hour life (4 with the screen on?).

One other thing, does it need to be plugged into the computer to charge? Or will it work with the ipod's unit...

Cheers
580smile.gif

Jan 11, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #2 of 13
I played with it for a while. Navigation can be fiddly, although its easy to get used to (friends comment, not mine). Audio is above average. The amp isn't underpowered by any means, although with no eq the sound was rather forward and "excited". Not extreme in-your-face forwardness ala HD25 or Grado, very subtle and rather pleasing with some songs. Sounded pretty good with various IEMs, including the UM1, UM2 and Super.fi 5 pro. I coudln't detect any hiss with those, although the listening evironment (and frame of mind) wasn't best suited to accurate testing. It's as small as it gets, with an incredibly impressive screen (included visualizations are nice to look at and can be set as screensavers). i didn't ask about battery life, but the 8 hours is with the screen on.

EDIT: Didn't see the part about charging. It comes with a headphone USB adapter, which you use to both charge and transfer tracks. So you can charge by computer or get an AC USB power adapter (cheap online). Not sure what you meant by Ipod unit.

Jan 11, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but the 8 hours is with the screen on.

no, its not.
http://www.everythingusb.com/iriver_s10_1gb.html
Quote:

Originally Posted by everythingusb
With the backlight off, I was able to attain 7.5 hours of battery life, close enough to iriver's claimed 8 hours. Leaving the backlight on for all to see, this dropped dramatically to 4 hours, 15 minutes.

http://store.misticriver.net/index.p...products_id=19
Quote:

Originally Posted by misticriver
Up to 8 hours of battery life† (128kbps MP3, Vol. 20, EQ Normal, LCD Off)

by ipod unit, i think he meant the apple USB AC adapter. i'm also guessing this was referring the the problems the clix has charging from anything but a computer.

Jan 12, 2007 at 7:15 AM Post #4 of 13
Even if i need to plug it into the computer, these seem very nice for the price. The only option is sony's 1gb entry level model, which gets 28 hours of life, but is quite big, difficult to use....

Jan 13, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mitchjordan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the Gen 2 shuffles inherent hissing problems, this seems like the perfect little dap. Im definetly willing to spend the $20 more on the 1gb version..

Who owns one? Do you like it? Is it let down by the 8 hour life (4 with the screen on?).

One other thing, does it need to be plugged into the computer to charge? Or will it work with the ipod's unit...

I got one from Korea a couple weeks ago because I wanted something extremely portable that I could wear at the gym. Here are some pros and cons that I came up with during my experience with this player which might help you decide.

Pros:
-Extremely portable and light
-Runs as a USB flash drive
-Decent OLED display
-Supports multiple languages
-Supports embedded lyrics
-Records FM/voice audio
-EQ and SRS

Cons:
-Can only be charged via USB (until someone builds an accessory)
-No support for WAV or any lossless format
-No manual lock (too easy to press one of the directional buttons on the front)
-Line noise
-Cannot disable SRS effects, although I think I found the minimal effect settings
-Earbuds included are pretty poor quality
-No accessories available
-Doesn't support m3u playlists
-Truncates track names and does not scroll them when highlighted

Jan 13, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #6 of 13
I got the black 2GB one.
Love the size, the looks and the sound of it...
Well, if there weren't the constant white noise it emits
mad.gif

At low volumes (i.e. < 5/40) or if there's no song playing, it's clearly audible with both the E888 LP and the EP 630, with the KSC 75 it's barely noticeable, unless i'm straining my ears to hear it (sorry, got no better phones to test it with).
I'm also wondering how long the one-for-all headphone jack will last...

A few things I'd like to add to ya8282's post:
Quote:

-No manual lock (too easy to press one of the directional buttons on the front)

Push volume +/- at the same time, and it will lock all the buttons... bad thing is, the display still powers on every time to display a "Hold" message.
Quote:

Cannot disable SRS effects, although I think I found the minimal effect settings

not true, I think "Select EQ" -> "Normal" equals to no EQ (correct me if i'm wrong)
Quote:

Supports multiple languages

yeah at least it says so, but if for example you select German, everything's still in English. That applies for most of the other (non asian) languages as well, i think.

Anyway, I still like it just because it's so cute and all
icon10.gif

First post btw, even though i've been reading this forum for quite some time now.

Jan 13, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #7 of 13
Wow, cheers for youg input guys, i figured this topic would just get glossed over.

Everything else sounds perfectly fine to me, except the white noise, which is the one big turnoff of the second gen ipod shuffle :/

Jan 15, 2007 at 7:57 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by derwersei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I
not true, I think "Select EQ" -> "Normal" equals to no EQ (correct me if i'm wrong)

Actually that's EQ, not SRS. Putting an inline resistor like a volume control can eliminate the hiss, but you also lose a lot of the detail and add a bit of bulk.

Jan 15, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #9 of 13
In the "Select EQ" menu I can choose between "SRS", "UserEQ", "Normal" and a number of presets such as "Jazz".

Since "SRS" is listed as an option, shouldn't "Normal" consequently mean non-SRS?

Jan 15, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

In the "Select EQ" menu I can choose between "SRS", "UserEQ", "Normal" and a number of presets such as "Jazz".

Since "SRS" is listed as an option, shouldn't "Normal" consequently mean non-SRS?

I think this is correct... this is the same options that I have in my iRiver Clix, and you can tell the effects of the various EQ settings quite clearly.

Therefore, Normal would imply EQ off, or being bypassed at the very least.

Jan 15, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #11 of 13
I guess mine is missing this option. I am using Firmware version 1.03 which iRiver Plus 3 claims is the latest version.

Quote:

Jan 20, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #13 of 13
Actually, you can find them on eBay, though slightly overpriced after shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back