Opinions on headphile cpu series
Oct 31, 2004 at 10:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

skitlets

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking at getting some new interconnects for my computer-as-source, going from the 1212m to a diy amp (in sig). The headphile cpu series with its additional shielding seems optimal for computer use, and I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this line of cable. I was thinking of getting the copper version as silver doesn't seem to mesh well with Grado/Alessandro, but please correct me if my assumptions are wrong. Max budget is $70, and 1.5m cable length is preferred, though I might be able to get away with 1m.

Oct 31, 2004 at 11:38 PM Post #3 of 9
Headphile cables are great, but let me just add that the additional shielding is only for the paranoid, and is functionally pretty useless unless your computer is some kind of EMF monster. I'm using the regular silver with my computer source, but I hear zero noise even with the volume cranked to max, totally black.
As for Grados, if you already find your cans too bright/harsh, then silver cables will only make them brighter. On the other hand, if you don't mind it getting a bit more bright, silver should give better detail than copper will.

Oct 31, 2004 at 11:46 PM Post #4 of 9
Well, regular and cpu pricing is the same, so I'll go with paranoi without any additional cost!

Nov 1, 2004 at 8:34 AM Post #5 of 9
skitlets: I have the regular series cables, and I could not be happier. Larry is a class act, and his cables are first rate. You absolutely cannot go wrong with this path.

BTW, silver is the way to go. Very detailed, but not harsh IMO.

Nov 1, 2004 at 8:47 AM Post #6 of 9
avoid using silver cables with grados rs-1s, cd3ks and the benchmark dac. also both power cord rolling and power conditioning can reduce harshness/brightness and sibilant.

Nov 1, 2004 at 4:29 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Well, regular and cpu pricing is the same, so I'll go with paranoi without any additional cost!

Well, the regular design theoretically produces better sound when EMI is not concerned. Or that's what Larry told me, anyway.

Nov 2, 2004 at 1:12 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyrie
Well, the regular design theoretically produces better sound when EMI is not concerned. Or that's what Larry told me, anyway.

Well now, I just might have to email Larry for clarification. Thanks for the heads up!

Nov 2, 2004 at 1:18 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyrie

A fully shielded cable will have a slower leading edge as it "charges" the shield. This can seem to mellow a signal which some may find pleasing. It's a personal choice when it comes down to it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back