Opinions on Beresford TC-7510 and other similar DAC's
Jun 16, 2009 at 5:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

Neil27

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

Im looking for a decent DAC to replace my rather crappy old sound blaster sound card. The TC-7510 seems pretty decent and i like the fact that it has a headphone amp built in. To any users of this, how is the quality of the output (Both to amp and the Headphone output). Is there any other DACs to look at that are around the same price? A headphone out would be a huge plus for me aswell.

This Dac will be outputting to a Cambridge Audio A3i, and i am looking into getting some Senn. HD595's or 600's (would the headphone out of the TC-7510 drive these nicely?)

Thanks for any input!

Jun 16, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #2 of 51
I am using the Beresford TC-7520 with my Grado's SR325is and my Audio Technica ATH-W1000 and it's fine.
Remember the TC-7510 doesn't have a USB input, whereas the TC-7520 has.
If you wanted to bypass your sound card then the TC-7520 will be fine.

Jun 17, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #3 of 51
Thanks For the Reply,

What would be the benifit of having the USB, i would asume a Coaxial cable would do the same thing, would it not? Although i wouldnt mind the newer usb version as i already have spare USB cables..

I did notice that the 7520 is a bit more expensive at £150.. any feedback on any other changes other than the added USB input? is it worth the extra cash?

How would the Beresford compare to something like a V-DAC? And if there are any other DAC's at around £100-150 i should know about, please say!
smile.gif

also.. does any one know if the headphone amp on the Beresford will drive 300ohm headphones such as Senn. HD600's and would there be any noise?

Thanks!

Jun 17, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #5 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another question i have is how would external DACs at this price range compare with good sound cards like Asus Xonar STX in terms of sound quality?

They will beat a sound card.

The TC7520's main advantages are USB input and a much nicer headphone amp. I and a few other forum members feel that the TC7520 headphone amp can be used for a long time until you're ready to upgrade to the big, big leagues.

Jun 17, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #6 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They will beat a sound card.

The TC7520's main advantages are USB input and a much nicer headphone amp. I and a few other forum members feel that the TC7520 headphone amp can be used for a long time until you're ready to upgrade to the big, big leagues.

Ok Sounds good. So i assume that the headphone amp on it will out perform my current B-Tech BT928 headphone amp?

Would there be much of a jump in quality of the D-A conversion in more expensive DAC's such as the Fubar ii/iii and DacMagic? I would imagine the diminishing returns rule would apply quite well to DAC's, am i right?

Thanks

Jun 18, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #7 of 51
I do have a TEC DAC for sale in my sig if you were interested. It is definitely a great way to jump into the Hi-Fi scene while staying budget-friendly with the wallet.

I always prefer a coax or optical input over a USB or RCA analog any day.

As for sonic differences, there will most likely be improvements as you spend more and more on a higher-end DAC. But preferences and tastes come into play too.

Jun 18, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #8 of 51
Does anyone have any comparisons of the 7520 to the Creative E-MU 0404 USB??

The creative is quite interesting as it also acts as a microphone input.. i could find this usefull. but i would like to know if the the audio output, both headphone and RCA are on par with the 7520.

Thanks for any info.

Jun 18, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #9 of 51
emu 0404 has a MUCH better design and chipset.

the 0404 has a crappy wallwart, though; that should be replaced with a linear reg.

other than that, let me say this: some people 'in the field' use the 0404 as a test gear device! test equipment is usually as good as you can get, if you are using it to measure things.

that says quite a lot about the 0404.

I don't think the 'beresford' (scam of a company; TEC really makes them in china) can compete with EMU. not even close.

Jun 18, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #10 of 51
Wow.. really, i will have to look into the E-MU 0404 aswell then. How is the headphone amp on it? Also, how does the recording fuctions of it work does it require another co-axl input for a digital signal on the computer, and what plugs are those for the mic inputs?

Any one else think that the E-MU 0404 is a better DAC than the 7520?

Jun 18, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #11 of 51
I don't use the phones amp on it, but it seemed 'ok' enough.

the target audience is low-end pro studios who MAKE music with this. and while its not a several thousand dollar piece of gear, it IS considered entry level pro audio.

to me, that counts for a lot. I trust pro audio gear almost ALWAYS more than consumer oriented gear.

Jun 18, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #12 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
emu 0404 has a MUCH better design and chipset.

the 0404 has a crappy wallwart, though; that should be replaced with a linear reg.

other than that, let me say this: some people 'in the field' use the 0404 as a test gear device! test equipment is usually as good as you can get, if you are using it to measure things.

that says quite a lot about the 0404.

I don't think the 'beresford' (scam of a company; TEC really makes them in china) can compete with EMU. not even close.

I prefer the headamp on Beresford to the one on EMU. The amp on EMU is kinda...dead

Jun 18, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #13 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone have any comparisons of the 7520 to the Creative E-MU 0404 USB??

The creative is quite interesting as it also acts as a microphone input.. i could find this usefull. but i would like to know if the the audio output, both headphone and RCA are on par with the 7520.

Thanks for any info.

Ok I can do the comparison since I own both.
smily_headphones1.gif
Both are best bangs for the buck, I recommend EMU for speakers and maybe to pair with HD555s but the Beresford has the better headamp. Can't really compare the DACs but both are exceptional for the price.

Jun 19, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #14 of 51
What kind of cable did you use to connect to an amp from the analog out of the 0404? is that 2 Mono Jack outputs? i get the impression it is fro active monitor speakers. How is the EMU 0202 compared to the 0404?

also how would the transport of the mic signal go to the computer?

Jun 19, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #15 of 51
My opinion is that Mr Beresford is an insideous and odious man and that he has worked supremely hard in all and every form of internet propaganda in order to shoehorn his product (which is a clone copy of an otherwise extant design) into the mindsets of those looking to take their first step off the standard rung of the computer audio ladder ( a very large and very easily swayed market ). Top hat to him for doing so well in that aim. Arsebiscuits to him for being so nefarious in the manner in which he went about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back