opinions of Xin Supermacro options
Jan 4, 2005 at 4:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

stryker

500+ Head-Fier
Seriously considering Xin Supermacro to power my iPod and 650s and probably Etys.

Anyone have thoughts on the option of more buffers vs. more capacitors?
I think Zanth reviewed one with more buffers, but I read that more buffers are generally more beneficial to low Z cans due to lower output impedence. Since I will use higher Z cans like 650s or ER-4S, should I go for more reservoir capacity or go for more buffers? Thanks in advance.

Jan 4, 2005 at 8:50 AM Post #2 of 15
I'd also like to know. I'm still comfortably sitting on the fence with my wallet in hand but susceptible to that small gust of wind that may cause it to drop in either Xin or Ray's backyard.

When I look at Xin's page, I think, "Oh wow, look how cheap it is... ohh, hmmm, options... well, you only buy it once! Oh, wait a second. Now it's the same price as the SR-71. WHY GOD?!?!?!?!?"

Jan 7, 2005 at 11:24 PM Post #3 of 15
Is SR-71 really that much better?
blink.gif

It's at last much bigger...
plainface.gif

Jan 7, 2005 at 11:39 PM Post #4 of 15
The price is $250 for the standard version, which is good enough for most gears, IMHO. Xin has recovered SM's configuration in his website. I have a standard one to drive my HD600 and they works nicely. Based on my understanding, if you like a more "SR-71" sound signiture, get the standard version with one buffer. If you like faster and more controled bass, get more buffers, but no more than 2 buffers per channel; and just keep the 5000UF caps. More than 3 buffers per channel might be overkilled for most gears with more than 30 ohm impedance.

Jan 8, 2005 at 12:41 AM Post #5 of 15
I'd have to say that ordering the SuperMacro turned out to be fairly confusing, I actually don't know exactly what I'm getting ...
blink.gif

Here's what I ordered:

SuperMacro amp black : 1 : 249.99
Clear case : 1 : 0.00
4 feature switches : 1 : 49.99
OP sockets : 1 : 0.00
OPA627 plug-in : 1 : 49.99
OP Installation : 1 : 0.00
2x BUF634 soldered on : 1 : 9.99

Subtotal : 359.96

I'm assuming that means a silver SM, with OPA627s installed (socket), 3360uF caps, and 3x BUF634 (1x is standard, and I paid for 2 extra?), and the four switch upgrade ... I guess the most confusing part is the buffer configuration, which is fairly important to me as I'll be using the SM with my E5c and A900, which are both low impedance cans. Then again, if I end up getting something in the future with higher impedance, am I going to be screwed because I only have 3360uF caps? I mean, will having more buffers negatively affect a higher impedance phone?

Jan 8, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #6 of 15
Mavis,

I have pretty much the same configuratiosn you dom except for larger caps. My Macro drives my AKG501 and DT880 really well. I don't think you're going to have any problem with your Macro driving high impedance cans, though. Youy've always got the option to go back to Xin and have him modify it and use the impedance switch more.

Please keep us posted.

Jan 8, 2005 at 1:36 AM Post #7 of 15
I have just been through the same process and confusion. I have orderd exactly the same configuration as Mavis and really don't know what the difference is going to be with the extras - but it seemed like a reasonable choice. How does a novice make such complex decisions? I'm excited about the prospect of listening through the SM to see how my recently bought ety4ps perform. So far they are just great!

Jan 8, 2005 at 3:58 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mavis

I'm assuming that means a silver SM, with OPA627s installed (socket), 3360uF caps, and 3x BUF634 (1x is standard, and I paid for 2 extra?), and the four switch upgrade ... I guess the most confusing part is the buffer configuration, which is fairly important to me as I'll be using the SM with my E5c and A900, which are both low impedance cans. Then again, if I end up getting something in the future with higher impedance, am I going to be screwed because I only have 3360uF caps? I mean, will having more buffers negatively affect a higher impedance phone?

IMHO, you are getting two buffers per channel as they are soldered on the board without buffer socket. Many people use SM with 2 buffers driving low impedance gears like Grado RS1, or 325 very well.

Jan 8, 2005 at 2:32 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by goto2003
IMHO, you are getting two buffers per channel as they are soldered on the board without buffer socket. Many people use SM with 2 buffers driving low impedance gears like Grado RS1, or 325 very well.

Well, I guess we'll find out once it gets here. Actually, I contacted Xin about my order, and asked about the buffers - he didn't respond to that question, although he did address my other concern, and agreed to change from a socketed OP627 to soldered. That will give me 5000uF caps, plus 2 (or three?) buffers ...

Whatever. Anything I get from him will be a massive improvement over what I have now: nothing.
wink.gif

Jan 8, 2005 at 2:43 PM Post #11 of 15
OK, I've just posted the buffer question on Xin's forums, hopefully he'll respond and clear up the confusion.

Jan 8, 2005 at 3:40 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tcg
What is the differents of "2x Buf634 (pair, plug-in)" and "2x BUF634 buffers soldered on board"?

I'm sure its a stupid question but please answer!

Jan 8, 2005 at 6:06 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tcg
I'm sure its a stupid question but please answer!

There are two ways to put buffers in SM. One is using the buffer socket which allows to plug in up to 4 buffers per channel; the other is soldering buffers directly on the board, which allows putting up to 2 buffers per channel.

Jan 8, 2005 at 9:16 PM Post #14 of 15
So the differents is that one has 4 buffers per channel and the other only 2 buffers per channel?

Is it better to buy "2x Buf634 (pair, plug-in)" than "2x BUF634 buffers soldered on board"?

Jan 8, 2005 at 10:28 PM Post #15 of 15
IMHO, I don't see much extra benefit to get more than 2 buffers per channel. Just get the two buffers soldered and keep the 5000 uf caps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back