Opinions of the PTH unit?
Jan 2, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #2 of 13
i got it with mine, and it does its job very well, but actually using it outdoors is a pain, its just too big really.

around the house tho its a nice thing to use, it does save you from actually taking the earphones out everytime somebody taps your shoulder, i mean, if your going to be still when using it then its a nice item to use, but it will soon gather dust in the box because you wont want to use it everyday for sure.

if you want the novelty and its not too much more then it might be worth getting it just to play around with, if you like it you may use it more often than you think but a word of warning....the PTH unit will not fit in the case with the earphones, if it did it would be fantastic and useable everyday but because it dont fit it just means you have to cram it in a pocket which isnt nice.

Jan 2, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #3 of 13
Yep, that pretty well covers it. Great option if you're not moving around (stationary) and need to talk to others. Just push the button to mute the sound and you're able to carry on a conversation. Push it again and you're back to tunes.

But it is large and not all that practical if you're active. Does what it is designed to do, does it well but not for all uses.

Jan 3, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #5 of 13
I don't agree that it is too large to practically use outside but we all have our opinions. I got my SE530PTHs on New Years Eve and love both the earphones and the PTH. I clip the ipod to my belt on its side, the portable amp tucks in to my pocket and the PTH module clips to my belt. I run the cable under my jumper and the PTH mic clips to the top of the jumper and that is where I plug the headphones in to it.

I have walked through town shopping wearing it and it lets me talk to sales staff then go back to my music with such ease.

The PTH unit is smaller than it seems from pictures. I would say it is as big as my Audio remote key fob but slightly longer.

And they sell for around £40 on Ebay UK so you will be able to sell it on if you don't take to it and keep the 530s.

Jan 3, 2009 at 10:59 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerotec /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't agree that it is too large to practically use outside but we all have our opinions. I got my SE530PTHs on New Years Eve and love both the earphones and the PTH. I clip the ipod to my belt on its side, the portable amp tucks in to my pocket and the PTH module clips to my belt. I run the cable under my jumper and the PTH mic clips to the top of the jumper and that is where I plug the headphones in to it.

I have walked through town shopping wearing it and it lets me talk to sales staff then go back to my music with such ease.

The PTH unit is smaller than it seems from pictures. I would say it is as big as my Audio remote key fob but slightly longer.

And they sell for around £40 on Ebay UK so you will be able to sell it on if you don't take to it and keep the 530s.

Wouldn't that be classed as a bit rude though? I mean, I would find it a bid odd how a member of staff would be talking to you, but you still have your headphones in.

Jan 3, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wouldn't that be classed as a bit rude though? I mean, I would find it a bid odd how a member of staff would be talking to you, but you still have your headphones in.

haha it would come across rude yes because that person would thing you cant hear them and dont want to hear them, little do they know you can hear them and when you reply they wonder how. thats the wonderful thing about the PTH it is simply genious. they just need to make it smaller, even the size of an ipod shuffle would be nice. its just more discreet and then its even smarter and cool to be seen with, but at the moment if your chugging it around with a portable amp and an ipod then your going to look like a walkin technology store...not cool.

Jan 3, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha it would come across rude yes because that person would thing you cant hear them and dont want to hear them, little do they know you can hear them and when you reply they wonder how. thats the wonderful thing about the PTH it is simply genious. they just need to make it smaller, even the size of an ipod shuffle would be nice. its just more discreet and then its even smarter and cool to be seen with, but at the moment if your chugging it around with a portable amp and an ipod then your going to look like a walkin technology store...not cool.

Haha that's true, it is pretty funny though
tongue.gif
I'm a walking Apple man though
wink.gif
MacBook in a bag, iPod touch in pocket.
tongue.gif
I seen reviews that the push to hear, isn't really a push button, but more of a slider. Does that cause inconvenience in any way?

Jan 3, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #9 of 13
yeh it is a slider, its fine really, if it was a button theres a chance you could accidently push it so i guess thats why shure opted for a slider which is a bit harder to accidently slide, the only downside to using the unit is the volume slide on the PTH unit, its recessed into the unit a lot and actually getting to it is stupidly difficult.

apart from that like i said it really is genius, but maybe with a few more years experience behind them they will pop out a much smaller one soon.

maybe its that size because of the battery it uses, if it used the button battery for example i imagine it would have been much smaller.

Jan 3, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeh it is a slider, its fine really, if it was a button theres a chance you could accidently push it so i guess thats why shure opted for a slider which is a bit harder to accidently slide, the only downside to using the unit is the volume slide on the PTH unit, its recessed into the unit a lot and actually getting to it is stupidly difficult.

apart from that like i said it really is genius, but maybe with a few more years experience behind them they will pop out a much smaller one soon.

maybe its that size because of the battery it uses, if it used the button battery for example i imagine it would have been much smaller.

Ah true. I can't wait to see what the CES shows to offer. I really want to see an improved SE530.

Jan 3, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #11 of 13
dont we all, shure has been extremely quiet lately in regards to earphones, they have been very contempt with settling with what they have, hopefully we se a se640, but then going by the designs and numbering that would mean they would be putting 4 drivers in a universal IEM, i cant see that happening for a while unless they have gotten hold of JAY'S extra small armatures lol

Jan 3, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #12 of 13
Lol yes they might think I am being rude but then again most folk don't realise how well these block out noise. Even when flying with QC2s on cabin crew still chat away to you and don't give you a moment to take them off! Hey if flying you could clip the PTH to the headrest with a "Push to talk to me" sign!

Jan 3, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerotec /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol yes they might think I am being rude but then again most folk don't realise how well these block out noise. Even when flying with QC2s on cabin crew still chat away to you and don't give you a moment to take them off! Hey if flying you could clip the PTH to the headrest with a "Push to talk to me" sign!

what a legend, id shake the hand of the person that pulls that one off
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back