Opinions of ATC SCM20 monitor needed.
Nov 29, 2003 at 7:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

headphonecrazy

Head-Fier
I'm thinking bout buying a used pair of ATC SCM20 for my speaker setup. For all who are familiar with ATCs, I would love to hear any opinions and whether it will be suitable for my setup.

Room size: 15x20feet
Amp: Classe DR-9
Pre: Graaf Model Two
Source: Cyrus CD7Q + PSX-R
I/C: Taralabs RSC Air 2 + Aural Symphonic AS-One

Thanks in advance.

Dec 1, 2003 at 1:50 PM Post #3 of 10
Would a smaller ATC be better for your room size? I don't know. An ATC rep. is letting me demo a pair of ATC SCM12's in my place for a few days. Im hopeing todays the day he brings them over!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2003 at 10:40 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by eyeteeth
Would a smaller ATC be better for your room size? I don't know. An ATC rep. is letting me demo a pair of ATC SCM12's in my place for a few days. Im hopeing todays the day he brings them over!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Cool eyeteeth.

Let me know what you think!
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2003 at 11:07 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by kuma

Let me know what you think!
biggrin.gif

Yes I certainly will. I've learned that Wednesday is delivery day.

(ordered last week & received today the backissue June 2003 of 'WHAT HI-FI' to read their "supertest" of speakers near the 1000 pound price point.

Winner-ATC SCM12

competition was AVI pro-9-plus,Canton ergo 900 dc, Cyrus cls70, KEF XQ one, Meadowlark Swift, Mission 782se, and ProAc Studio 125).

Dec 2, 2003 at 1:11 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Yes I certainly will. I've learned that Wednesday is delivery day.

(ordered last week & received today the backissue June 2003 of 'WHAT HI-FI' to read their "supertest" of speakers near the 1000 pound price point.

Winner-ATC SCM12

competition was AVI pro-9-plus,Canton ergo 900 dc, Cyrus cls70, KEF XQ one, Meadowlark Swift, Mission 782se, and ProAc Studio 125).

Woo hoo fun!
Which amp are you going to be using with 'em? And remember new drivers need some running in.

Looking at the speaker competition list, ATC are the only ones who deliver the insights, precision and the most important things of all, *fun*.
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2003 at 10:11 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by kuma

Which amp are you going to be using with 'em?

biggrin.gif

Actually my budget is blown for 2003 & most of 2004! If I go 'separates', as you know, im taken with Wyetech labs' tube preamps, but I do not have a power amp in mind. My budget may be 2K, if it was 4K i'd think about Antique sound labs' "Hurricane" 200 watt tube monoblocks (4K for a pair). If I have to be conservative and choose a solid-state integrated, there has been a lot of press about AVI laboratories (whats with all the "Lab"names?
wink.gif
) 200 wpc integrated. Plinius & Perreaux also have hefty integrateds. Anyway I don't know which power amp to go with (Bryston?, Blue Circle?) but it should match the ATC's for dynamics & resolution. It will be awhile before I buy anything!

Dec 3, 2003 at 12:32 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Actually my budget is blown for 2003 & most of 2004! If I go 'separates', as you know, im taken with Wyetech labs' tube preamps, but I do not have a power amp in mind. My budget may be 2K, if it was 4K i'd think about Antique sound labs' "Hurricane" 200 watt tube monoblocks (4K for a pair). If I have to be conservative and choose a solid-state integrated, there has been a lot of press about AVI laboratories (whats with all the "Lab"names?
wink.gif
) 200 wpc integrated. Plinius & Perreaux also have hefty integrateds. Anyway I don't know which power amp to go with (Bryston?, Blue Circle?) but it should match the ATC's for dynamics & resolution. It will be awhile before I buy anything!

er.. which amp are you going to use for auditioning SCM12 then?

Something neutral, quick and bold amplifiers would complement ATC. Neither Plinius or Perreaux fit that category but YMMV.

Bryston, Krell and Sim or even older Naim amps ( getting into a flat earth territory
biggrin.gif
) would fit the bill.

I have used tube amps for my SCM10, but boy, do you really want to live with that many tubes and putting up with heat and retubing?

Keep your system simple especially when a budget is limited and I'd suggest divide the resource between amps and your source equally.

Dec 3, 2003 at 1:17 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

My NAD C370 will have to suffice until I gather more resources.
eek.gif
It's actually not too bad.

NAD C370 should do all right as long as you don't go 'silly' with a volume.
biggrin.gif

Yep. You are right. It's not a bad amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back