Opinions needed: UE5c or Westone ES2?
Feb 15, 2006 at 5:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

pcmike

Head-Fier
I currently have the UM2s and to me they sound nice and provide a decent amount of isolation with the short Comply tips. However, I'm thinking of just biting the bullet and getting molds made for some custom IEMs so I can put this issue of IEMs to rest (though I doubt that will happen, but this should help).

I listen to all types of music, but the majority of my listening is mainstream rap, pop, rock, r&b.. though I do listen to quite a bit of Irish, folk, stuff with heavy vocals, and the occasional classical. I value a good soundstage, nice crisp sound, and bass is always nice. Coming from the UM2s (which people say are bass heavy, though I don't think they are) I probably won't be able to do with any LESS bass then the UM2s already provide. I also value customer service as I'm very picky on how things fit and function. If I don't feel I have a perfect seal or something like that I'm going to want new molds made and I don't want any hassles when it comes to having to possiblely get remolded, etc.

Oh also worth mentioning is that I don't plan on using an amp anytime soon, so please factor this into any recommendations you may make!

Can someone recommend one over the other for me? I'm not willing to jump all in and spend $900, but the $550-650 mark is a good point for me. Also, could someone tell me how much the much talked about Sensaphonic SX2-S are as I've yet to see a price.

EDIT: Also, another option would be just getting the custom sleeves (UM56) for my current UM2s since I'm not that disappointed with the soumd, just want a more consistant fit (don't want to worry about day-to-day insert differences or having to buy more foam tips). That'd bring the cost of my UM2s upto about ~$375, seems about worth it for a semi-custom IEM. Any ideas on this route? Am I fooling myself? Please let me know.

Thanks!

Feb 15, 2006 at 8:15 AM Post #2 of 11
well the bass on the es2 is a bit less, but more refined, detailed. The overal sound of the es2 is more detailed and less muddy, the difference is more like day and night than a custom molded version of the um2, saying that the um56 won't be able to give the same sq. I have no idea about the ue's so I hope someone else can fill you in about those.
Don't underestimate the power of updateritus, someday soon you will have fully customs
wink.gif

Feb 15, 2006 at 12:29 PM Post #4 of 11
Hi pcmike,
In my opinion it is a rather difficult decision stepping up to the highest performance level a IEM can bring because of the rather high investment. I don´t come from the UM2 rail, but from the Ety4S and P and from the UE10. So from my personal experience of spending a lot in headphones I came to the (i.e. my personal -) end of all dreams: the ES3. A must for these is a 120Ohm resistor otherwise you have an uneven frequency-band. In case you would like to read more, check the following links. A comparison to the UE10 is also there. After listening for about 4 months to the ES3 I only put them aside when I have an ear-infection. (In these times I use a Koss Pro4AA for best isolation from outside noises.)
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ighlight=uandy
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ighlight=uandy
Greetings from Germany
UAndy

Feb 15, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #6 of 11
I own both the UE5c and the ES2s. The sound you describe is exactly that of the ES2s. Get them and don't look back. I listen to mine every day and love them. I rarely, if ever, pick up the UE5cs. The ES2s just do things right. Warm, dark, smooth sound signature that gets down and rocks. Westone customer service is also second to none.

Feb 15, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcmike
Is it worth another $425 over the UM2s w/ Comply tips? I could almost buy two more UM2s for that difference.

Yep.
If I had to put a figure to it, id say the ES2's are a good 3 times the phone the UM2 ever were.

Feb 15, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcmike
arielext,

So why do you own both the UM2 and ES2? Just curious..
tongue.gif

Noone wants to buy my UM2's ... they all just look at the westone.com pricetag and think .. that's real cheap, but living in europe, the westone prices are like doubled by the time you get them here. Try selling something second handed for €200,- while they see that the newprice is just $299,- (mine were €430,- from belgium; you damn lucky US guys you!)

Feb 15, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by digihead
I own both the UE5c and the ES2s. The sound you describe is exactly that of the ES2s. Get them and don't look back. I listen to mine every day and love them. I rarely, if ever, pick up the UE5cs. The ES2s just do things right. Warm, dark, smooth sound signature that gets down and rocks. Westone customer service is also second to none.

What makes the westone "do" it better than the ue's? And would you consider a ue10 over the es2? Not that I am searching for new ones now, hoping that the day that they brake will never come, but maybe in the future.

Feb 16, 2006 at 5:17 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by arielext
What makes the westone "do" it better than the ue's? And would you consider a ue10 over the es2? Not that I am searching for new ones now, hoping that the day that they brake will never come, but maybe in the future.

The ES2s sound much more 'balanced' across the sound spectrum than the UE5cs. The bass is integrated much better whereas the UE5cs bass just seems to stick out like a sore thumb. The ES2s also have a warmth to the sound that make them a much more involving, musical listen than the UE5cs. The UE5cs seem to have a more analytical sound to them and the bass seems out of balance and over bearing at times.

If by "over" you mean would I consider the UE10s a step above the ES2s, then yes for everything except rock/hard rock/metal. I'd say the UE10s are indeed a step above the ES2s in terms of clarity and detail. Rock/metal/hard rock on the UE10s still sounds a bit 'off' as it comes across at times as too revealing and electric guitars can occasionally sound a bit odd as well compared to the ES2s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back