Opinions needed on portable amp
Nov 27, 2004 at 3:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

merlock

New Head-Fier
Hey guys I'm looking for a portable amp for my work set-up consisting of the m-audio transit and sennheiser 280 Pro. While looking at some cmoy on ebay I came across the Pocket Amp2. Has anyone used this amp before? The builder says he uses a PA2V2 circuit. How does this compare to other cmoys using the OPA2227 OpAmp? More info about the Pocket Amp2 can be found at

http://www.electric-avenues.com/audio8.html

I'm just starting to learn about portable amps and any advice is greatly appreciated.

Merlock

Nov 27, 2004 at 4:01 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by merlock
Hey guys I'm looking for a portable amp for my work set-up consisting of the m-audio transit and sennheiser 280 Pro. While looking at some cmoy on ebay I came across the Pocket Amp2. Has anyone used this amp before? The builder says he uses a PA2V2 circuit. How does this compare to other cmoys using the OPA2227 OpAmp? More info about the Pocket Amp2 can be found at

http://www.electric-avenues.com/audio8.html

I'm just starting to learn about portable amps and any advice is greatly appreciated.

Merlock

I have 2 amps from this builder, one is the V1 and one is the V2. They are based on the LM4881 Opamp and the guy's own award winning design, it is not a CMOY amp. The guy who builds them is a very nice guy and provides an unconditional guarantee and support for his amps.

I do not know anybody who has this amp and a CMOY (I may be wrong), in fact few here actually have this amp, though several nevertheless profer opinions on it. I can only compare this against my Headsave Classic which is noticeably better but also much more expensive($180).

I quite like these little amps. To me it has a little roughness in the frequency extremes. For non critical duties i.e PCDP and Notebook soundcard out it does very nicely to my ears. If somebody wants to lend me a CMOY I will happily do a comparison.....

There are many CMOYs out there and you should be able to get one for about $50, the go-vibe is an alternative you might consider, it is from the same family as the Classic but is cheaper and portable. There are several reviews of this amp on this forum.

Nov 27, 2004 at 3:38 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77
If somebody wants to lend me a CMOY I will happily do a comparison.....

OK.
eggosmile.gif

Send me a PM with what headphones you use (I'll try to match a good opamp) and your address.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back