Opinions needed for a choice of headphones
Dec 28, 2011 at 7:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DemonZtarz

New Head-Fier
Hey guys I'm  new here and I have been wondering for a long time what headphones I should get. I was recommended to ask around this community of hi-fi enthusiasts

So I like music genres like Techno/Dubstep/House and also most mainstream music.

These are the headphones that I've been put into thought:

Beats By Dr. Dre Studio's - (I know that alot of people look down on these headphones but I tested ones on display and I like the bass and how it "vibrates")

Audio Technica Solid Bass ath-ws55i - (I've also tested these and they were recommended by employees to be the best in its price range.

Skull Candy Skull Crushers - (Tested these but it has been a long time since and I would say these headphones have the strongest bass response with its "subwoofer" speakers)

I am still very open to other recommendations and can handle the budget of $200-$300

Opinions will be most appreciated :)

Dec 28, 2011 at 7:29 AM Post #2 of 7
Are IEMs fine? Your price range give you access to some pretty good IEMs. It would be good if you mentioned whether you will be using it at home or for portable, for home use the XB700s or XB300s are pretty good since you mentioned liking the Studio's bass (assuming you mean quantity). For portable the V Moda M80s are mentioned quite a lot, and the M100 is coming out soon. 

Dec 28, 2011 at 7:33 AM Post #3 of 7
hey thanks for the opinion! 
when I said I like the bass, I meant like how you can feel the bass , the vibration or response(I dont really know how this term is used)\

portable and home should be fine but i do like listening to music when traveling

oh yes, in ear and over year are the styles or types i like the most

Dec 28, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #6 of 7
bass is very difficult for headphones to get right, on one hand there are people that see bass as something that thumps and makes things move, on the other hand you have those that see it as a sound that is part of the music. i myself love bass it is the foundation of music in which the rest is built on.

now in regards to headphones/IEM's , bass varies wildly from thumping vibration to smooth deep sound. below 20hz the human ear will not hear the bass however it will feel the bass, ''pro'' grade headphones or those classed as high end will generally do whatever it takes to reduce the vibration as this resonance is not a natural part of the sound, or in other words it shouldnt be there and is only there because of the materials used and how they respond to the frequency. this is why alot of people hear high grade stuff and simply dont understand where the bass is because there cheapo stuff booms and vibrates hard.

this is the decision you need to make, i have the IE8 also and it does pretty well at hammering out the bass with fairly controlled chamber resonance however it can start getting out of control with massive volume and the bass turned up. you should take into consideration that although the vibration can make you think wow its hittin hard, at the same time it can become uncomfortable, the earphones will start to tickle and you will be pulling them out to jab a finger or two in its place, very nice.

in the ideal world the bass would kick your head in yet the earphones will cope admirably, hence more luxurious materials and experimental designs being used to battle the problem.

what im saying is if you want thumping hard bass dont head straight for the high end stuff because most people have to gradually make progress to appreciate...the progress. jumping straight in the deep end more often than not will leave you wondering what the fuss was about. ever wondered why you see so many complaints about messy bloated bass with cheaper earphones well my explanation is partly why.

Dec 28, 2011 at 9:13 AM Post #7 of 7
The Ultrasone Pro900 (highly recommended)offers impactful deep punchy bass with detailed mids, highs and wide surround soundstage and they serve these genres music very well. The universal IEM like JVC FX700, Sennheiser IE8, Westone 3, MTP copper are hghly recommended and they offers dynamic deep punchy bass with overall detailed soundquality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back