Opinions: DT880 Headroom Recable for balanced + Headroom Desktop Balanced Amp
Dec 25, 2008 at 11:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

SVghost

100+ Head-Fier
I just ordered the Headroom Desktop Balanced Amp (new) and someDT880's Headroom recabled for balanced operation Cardas 'fatpipe' (used). I was wondering about everyones impressions on this combo using a computer as a source (usb)

I currently own the total bithead and Sr80, SE530, DT770pro/80.

I like balanced sound (in terms of Freq Responce), dont mind all this stuff i hear about too much highs on the 880's. I listen to mainly rock, indie, jazz, electronic (all types), and classical. I really listen to all types of music i guess...haha

Ne ways, im just wondering your oppinions about that combo as an all around work horse setup. Also how the Sure SE530's would sound threw that amp.

Correct me if im wrong, but i dont feel like im even hearing my cans with such a low end amp....

Thanks!

Dec 25, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #2 of 8
I've heard the DT880 balanced once, at a Chicago meet paired with the original HR Balanced Max. I liked it a lot as a balanced headphone, but didn't care for it single ended.

For what that's worth...

Dec 25, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard the DT880 balanced once, at a Chicago meet paired with the original HR Balanced Max. I liked it a lot as a balanced headphone, but didn't care for it single ended.

For what that's worth...

Well that tells me i made a good purchase.
dt880smile.png

Keep em commin folks!

Jan 7, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #5 of 8
I got my amp last week, and broke it in for 100+ hrs. Its brilliant, i love it. Just recently i got my Balanced DT880's, excited as ever i plugged em in, and started listening.

Immediately i was almost insulted with how strong the highs were! Harsh, almost painful to listen to! When i play classical or jazz it isnt as noticeable as with folk or rock, but its still defiantly not natural sounding IMO! Way too much treble.

I was kinda dumb about getting them, i listen to the occasional jazz and classical, but mainly electronic, not suiting for DT880's i now read, haha.

Im just wondering why these are so highly rated?! Sure the imaging is great, and the detail also, but the highs are so harsh and exaggerated! Even with the right music....

Jan 7, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #6 of 8
i hear dt880 is highly rated headphone but the '03 version not the '05 version

Jan 7, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by soidera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i hear dt880 is highly rated headphone but the '03 version not the '05 version

how would i tell the diffrence?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back