Opinions / Comparisons of sub $100 ICs from Bolder, Canare, DH Labs, AR, & Markertek?
Feb 21, 2002 at 4:23 AM Post #16 of 17
Quote:

First, keep in mind that an important part of the cable-making process is the termination. This is why it's important for reviewers to use factory-terminated cables as opposed to third-party builders (or DIY building). I believe that the Bolder Cable Company uses a crimping process which I don't really know much about... but which is allegedly better than the average amateur's soldering job.

No no, they are exactly the same, save for cosmetics and maybe different solders and maybe different twisting frequencies (Cardas are soldered, not crimped, and both are Cardas SRCAs).

Quote:

Second, the "brightness" issue is highly subjective and should be decided upon on an individual basis.

Yes, it is subjective, won't disagree.

Quote:

Third, there are, in fact, other dielectrics than PVC, air, and vacuum.

Yeah, but only teflon, air, and vacuum are acceptable for audio use (or any other really good insulator, but teflon is the best solid insulator... air filled teflon is better, pure vacuum is the best like the Tara Labs Zero, no idea how they pull that off)...

Feb 21, 2002 at 5:12 AM Post #17 of 17
The Tara Labs Air-1 uses a glass dielectric, according to one engineer that I spoke to on the phone. That's really the only other one I've heard of.
wink.gif

I thought for some reason that the Cardas connectors were crimped on in the Bolder cables, but I guess I'm wrong about that. Thanks for the correction.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back