Opinions: Compare earbuds to IEMs?
Feb 22, 2010 at 10:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ndurantz

New Head-Fier
Hi All,
Still a junior around here, but frequent visitor. I own Ety's HF5 and Yuin OK3's. I was wondering if anyone has thoughts about another portable earphone that would strike a balance between those two phones sound signatures.

The OK3's have a nice warm, rich sound that I really like. They have a more spacial sound IMO - maybe because they are literally father from my eardrums than the HF5s?

However, I do like the speed and clarity of the Ety's. I guess the Yuin's are more relaxing for me to listen to - the Ety's are a little more intense. Guess that is what sound signatures do for you, huh?

My musical preferences are pretty vast, so it would need to be an earphone that handles everything well. If I had to choose a type/genere it would be rock (The White Stripes, Coldplay, U2, The Black Crowes, The Kills, Switchfoot, Thrice, etc.), but I also enjoy stuff like Norah Jones, David Gray and the like.

Thoughts on another earphone that make strike a balance between the two?

I was thinking about trying the Monster Turbines, but thought I would throw my question out here for discussion.

Feb 23, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #2 of 12
Maybe you should look into an open IEM like the IE7/IE8. They'll give you a better out of head feeling but they won't isolate like your etys. If you're on a budget, the RE0 should have a bigger soundstage than the HF5 (not as big as the earbuds) and they're fast like etys but balanced so you can listen to almost anything. Definitely not super intense either. Foam tips work well for rock (especially cut up earplugs); they make the RE0 more aggressive.

EDIT: The Turbines will have a lot more bass than your etys. If you're looking into bassy IEMs definitely look at the IE8.

Feb 23, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #3 of 12
ie7 & ie8 wouldn't really be in between the etys and yuins as they're much warmer than both and lack the precision treble.

My vote would go for the RE0's. They have the excellent treble of the etys w/ a bit more bass like the Yuins.

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #4 of 12
JVC FX500, JVC FX700, IE7 and Sony MDR-EX700........

Feb 23, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #5 of 12
Thanks all. Great suggestions. I am definitely interested in checking out the RE0 from head direct since more than one of you suggested that.

Turbines are really that bass heavy or just much more present bass than the etys?

To jleewach - The IE7/8s, they are A LOT warmer? I thought the Yuin's were pretty warm. Maybe go into more detail about that if you could? I love learning from all you experienced "can" folk!

Zarim - The JVC's look interesting, but a bit more $ than I want to spend at this point. Have you owned and used all the ones you suggested?

Feb 23, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #6 of 12
Ok. I did a little more research. They are selling the RE0's for $79 right now! I thought that was a normal price, then after researching saw they were originally $220. Before I bite on that sale, I need to know if my Fiio E5 will be powerful enough to drive them. Thoughts?

Also, one review I read said they needed 100 hours of burn in to sound their best. I have heard that burn-in is an over-rated concept, but would be willing to hear others thoughts about it.

Thanks!!

Feb 23, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ndurantz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok. I did a little more research. They are selling the RE0's for $79 right now! I thought that was a normal price, then after researching saw they were originally $220. Before I bite on that sale, I need to know if my Fiio E5 will be powerful enough to drive them. Thoughts?

Also, one review I read said they needed 100 hours of burn in to sound their best. I have heard that burn-in is an over-rated concept, but would be willing to hear others thoughts about it.

Thanks!!

AS far as I can tell, the RE0 are ALWAYS on sale for that price.

Feb 23, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mesasone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AS far as I can tell, the RE0 are ALWAYS on sale for that price.

I appreciate that tid-bit of information. I won't put myself in debt just to jump on the opportunity today. I wonder how they went from $200 to $79? That's a pretty good price drop for what seem to be well-respected IEMs.

Feb 25, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Antony6555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think they're coming out with a new version of the reos

I wonder if I contacted them directly if they'd confirm that or not. Probably not since they'd want to clear out their inventory.

Mar 30, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #11 of 12
This is a little off topic, but if I was trying to achieve the sound signature stated above in a pair of traditional cans, what would someone suggest? I was thinking rather than investing in another canal phone (that I only wear when mowing or on airplanes), I could get a traditional phone for use with my NuForce Icon at home. Thoughts? Suggestions? Amusing anecdotes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back