Opinions/advice wanted: 2nd pair of good phones?
Jan 20, 2005 at 8:23 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Its quite possible, but on the other side of the equation I am quite happy listening to them on my av320... ampless.
blink.gif

So they might make also a good gaming phone with decent soundcard? Some isolation would be nice because my current PC is quite noisy (not to mention LAN parties) and also because the sound wouldn't leak out.

Jan 20, 2005 at 8:25 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Routa
I'm a happy owner of Alessandro MS-1. Lately I've been using them mostly at work, so another pair of good phones for home use would be nice. That way I could leave the MS-1's to work and wouldn't have to bother carrying them around with me.

I use MS-1s most of the time with my iHP-120 & Porta Corda MkII (work) and
at home I mostly use my stereo systems cd player (Yamaha something, over 10 years old but still good enough for my needs) line out -> Porta Corda -> Phones.

The question is, should I take the safe route and get some higher end Grados (I love the sound of MS-1) like MS-2 or SR-225 or should I go for something completely different like Senns or AKG's?

I've heard AKG 271s and I liked them at the time. I haven't heard them yet with Porta Corda but amplification should make them even better. I didn't like Senns (HD580, HD600, HD650) unamped but I'd like to give them another chance now that I have an amplifier.

I mostly listen rock (acoustic & electric), metal, drum'n bass, electronica. I'm not a huge fan of classical music. It would be a plus if my new home phones could double as decent gaming cans too.

Sony MDR-CD900ST

Jan 20, 2005 at 8:33 PM Post #18 of 22
It might prove difficult to audition the DT250-250's. I had to order a pair from Soitin Laine to their shop here, in Helsinki, just for that purpose. They did arrive on the next day, though. The service was exceptional, in that they were willing to get a pair even though I might have turned them down.

However, in light of the changes that have occurred during burn-in, I would suggest you wait. There's a very noticeable bass drop-off. I wouldn't hesitate to call the K271S's bass-heavy compared to these right now.
frown.gif
I do like the sound a lot otherwise.

- Oh, I also suspect these would work "ok" out of a soundcard, at least far as volume is concerned: I got a moderate volume level out of my MP3 player on setting 3/40...
biggrin.gif

Jan 20, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by luukas
However, in light of the changes that have occurred during burn-in, I would suggest you wait. There's a very noticeable bass drop-off. I wouldn't hesitate to call the K271S's bass-heavy compared to these right now.

So the bass in DT250/250 is decreasing with burn in? Hmm. That's strange, all I've read and experienced is that the bass response in phones usually improves with burn in...

Jan 20, 2005 at 8:53 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Scarpitti
Sony MDR-CD900ST

I did a bit of reseach and I'd like to try them. But it seems like getting an audition might be a problem with those.

Jan 20, 2005 at 8:59 PM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

So the bass in DT250/250 is decreasing with burn in? Hmm. That's strange, all I've read and experienced is that the bass response in phones usually improves with burn in...

The amount is propably the same, but with the increased definition, it sounds thinner now. This may be a problem on Beyer's side though, look here for extra info: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=88108

Jan 20, 2005 at 10:36 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

I did a bit of reseach and I'd like to try them. But it seems like getting an audition might be a problem with those.

If you don't like them, I'm sure you could sell them or return them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back