Opinions about HD 555, HD 25-1 and Atrio M5
Apr 16, 2008 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

StevenBrouwer

100+ Head-Fier
I am seriously considering selling my Atrio M5 iems, because IEM's are not my thing. Comfortable listening is important for me.

In that case I would have to get some closed cans to listen when I am on the move. Best cans in that case would be the sennheiser hd 25-1 II IIRC. In which case the HD 555 will be unneeded.

So before I go ahead I would like to know what the pro's think.
wink.gif

Would you guys sell Atrio M5's and HD 555 for sennheiser hd 25-1?

I use e-mu 0404 usb and iriver H340 as source. And probably will buy a 1/8 inch normal copper cable with it. Listen pop (rock), dance and hiphop mainly. Can't really stand sibilance...

Cheers!

Apr 16, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #2 of 9
Well, in terms of comfort, the cans are gonna be better. I love my atrios, but they can be a pain

Sound wise, I have atrios and 25-1s. The atrios have a warmer and more prominent mid and bass, and are generally more fun to listen to. The 25s have better sound seperation, tighter bass and sharper, clearer highs. While the atrios arent bass-heavy per se, theres certainly quite a lot more bass to them (though they are never muddy), where the 25s are flatter.

They're quite different sounds and I very much like having both, but the 25s are my favourites and while I think there'll be an aclimitisation period, I think you'd like them.

Edit: this is through my Emu 1616M, btw, so we have quite similar sources.

Apr 16, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #3 of 9
If comfort is a very high concern, you might want to consider a different headphone. If I wear my HD-25's for a few hours or more and take them off, my ears feel "bruised" (can't think of a better word) from all the on-ear clamping.

Apr 16, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #4 of 9
IMO the ATH-ESW9 are considerably better than the HD-25s. They have much better treble control, the HS-25s can be VERY prone to sibilance and the bass is a little bloated. I found the ESW9s to be more natural and accurate. However, if you like a lot of bass you might be more prepared to live with the sibilance.

Also, I found the clamp on the HD-25s disipates with time or a little stretching.

Apr 16, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #5 of 9
Wow - my Atrios are the most comfortable listening device I own.
I just wish I could listen to them at home but it drives my wife and kids crazy when I can't hear them speaking to me.
Different ears I guess.

Apr 17, 2008 at 9:27 AM Post #6 of 9
This is a difficult one...
That's actually the problem with the m5's: I don't like to take them out also because with iems it just takes much time to get them properly in again. I don't know about the ATH-ESW9. I don't have an amp and they don't isolate very well. Maybe I need to look somewhere else?

Apr 17, 2008 at 10:08 AM Post #7 of 9
I listened to the HD25-1 II's connected to the H340 two days ago. You won't be disappointed if only you accepted the H340's sound signature. There is no risk of uncontrolled trebles in these headphones, and the bass heaviness disappears after a couple of minutes as your ears adjust to the sound. The HD555's are no compare to the HD25-1's IMHO.

Apr 17, 2008 at 10:13 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by vanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If comfort is a very high concern, you might want to consider a different headphone. If I wear my HD-25's for a few hours or more and take them off, my ears feel "bruised" (can't think of a better word) from all the on-ear clamping.

[size=medium]The discomfort is with the pleather pads. Get the velour pads for better comfort.
cool.gif

[/size]

Apr 18, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #9 of 9
oke, I will go with the hd 25's I think, But first I'll try to sell the M5's and HD 555's. Maybe more tips or suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back