Opinions about Denon AH-NC732? (or advice for other on the go headphone)
Oct 9, 2008 at 9:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Bob24

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm listening to music mostly from my iPhone and Ultimate Ears super.fi 4 vi earphones.

I am looking for a replacement for the phones for two reasons:
- I am realizing that I very often need to readjust them, and I don't like the feel of them in my ears - so I'm now thinking in-ear earphones might not be for me (unless the UEs I have are know to be below average in terms of comfort, but I don't think so)
- Improve sound quality

(and as a side note a third reason is that even though sound quality is OK, I am very disappointed in the build quality of the UEs - the eartips and the jack both have very annoying flaws)

So basically my requirements for the phones are:
- Not in-ear, but portable enough to carry them around (ideally they would fold and fit in a jacket pocket)
- Good passive sound isolation or active noise canceling to use them on the bus / tram / train / planes - as well as no or light sound leakage to avoid annoying people around me (I don't listen to music at very high volume, so good isolation is probably more important than low leakage)
- At least as good sound quality as the UEs, but a step up would be much appreciated (especially I am finding that I am pushing the volume up more than I would like and phones which let me ear as much details as possible at low volume would be great)
- Comfortable enough that I can use them for 2-3 hours
- An iphone friendly jack would be a plus

Hopefully what I want is clear enough and not too complicated :)

I was having a look around and the Denon AH-NC732 look pretty neat to me, but I am finding very few information about their sound quality (I found this pretty positive review, and cnet says the Bose QC are better, but I'm a bit skeptical about their opinion ...)

Does anyone know more about the Denons, or have a better suggestion for me? (I was looking at spending around $200 max, but if it is worth it I can go up to $300 and I don't mind spending less either :))

Thanks in advance!

Oct 9, 2008 at 9:25 AM Post #2 of 10
Lol on the Bose. I don't know how anybody can actually like those things.

What kind of sound do you want? Lows, mids, highs - smooth, crisp, light, full, in your face, laid back, sharp, soft, etc. Have any preference for frequency response, ex. emphasis on bass or bass + highs or mids and mainly vocals, etc...

The idea is to suggest something that fits you.

I can't personally help much, but others should be able to step in and give you some good advice.

Oct 9, 2008 at 9:53 AM Post #3 of 10
Thanks mvw2.

To be honest I don't think I am very good at describing the sound (I am at a point where I am finding out that I am fed-up with listening to music in bad quality, but it would be pretentious to say I know exactly want I want as I'm just starting to pay attention to this now).

Having said I think I would like a balanced sound and with good presence and soundstage (I listen to various kinds of musics, and like I said I would like to hear a lot of details even at low volume).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back