Opinions about a decent audiophile mobile audio equipement
Jul 10, 2015 at 9:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Fingerling

Head-Fier
Hi there,

First of all, sorry for my poor English and maybe it's the wrong forum's section for this sort of thread.

I simply want to offer to my girlfriend her first quality audio equipment (portable music player + headphone).
She hasn't golden ears, she's not a musician or whatever. But the sound and use of my iBasso DX50 and Bowers&Wilkins P5 make her feels displeased with her lower-end MP3 portable music player and big headphone.

The idea here is to find a nice and pratical portable music player full of FLAC music with a good, elegant, discreet headphone for 200-250$.

The Bowers&Wilkins P3, despite its high price, is the loveliest headphone I have seen in this range but I wonder about its confort and isolation?

For the portable audio player, I first look on Cowon (audio quality/price, style and espically their battery life), but their resistive touchscreens seem very incommode.
Then I look on the Fiio X1 which looks well-fitted, but its low battery life, non removable battery and my ignorance about Fiio firmware make me hesitate.

So what are you thinking about my choice?

Thanks in advance

Jul 10, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #2 of 4
I had the same adventure with my wife, as she got displeased with her old sony mp3 player. So, I got her a Fiio X1. Just note that this DAP has really excellent sound, and as the X3-II, will require that you couple it with a decent headphone that match her signature tastes, as headphones really express themselves with this source.

For my wife, I took a Hifiman IE400 Waterline, which is for my part too V-Shaped for my taste, but is ok with her. So, you'll definitely heve to find a headphone with her help. You cannot do it blindly (or deafly?)

Cheers

Jul 10, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #3 of 4
For the player I'd say X1 is your honorable choice, you're going to need leeway for the headphone and X1 sounds nice with a decent headphone. As for the headphone I'd say the Vmoda M80 is a good place to start. Providing you're in USA the M80 can be had for $79 on Amazon, the X1 $99. I say Vmoda because they're very much about style, build quality and sound.

Jul 10, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks both of you for your answers.

I haven't consider earphones, why not but besides audio quality they need to be confortable and sturdy: earphones are easily breakable and my girlfriend is not always careful about her things. 

The Vmoda M80 saves me 30$ but it looks big and ugly to me in comparaison of B&W P3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back