Opinion on G&W T2.6F Amp Needed
Feb 19, 2006 at 10:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

geoges.ravel

100+ Head-Fier
Hi. I'm seeking an amp for HD650 at moderate price and have read that
the G&W T-2.6F is the best chinese headphone amp on the market. Anyone has had chance to compare it with the popular amps here? I have read that the G&W T2.6F is easily a better amp than Musical Fidality X-CAN V3 or EarMax. But I don't know how accurate that opinion is.

So if somebody has compared T2.6F to the popular amps here, I would like to hear your opinion.

Thanks!

[size=xx-small]The street price is 2800Yen (350$?) for those whose could be interested[/size]

2004121155449548.jpg

Feb 21, 2006 at 7:24 AM Post #2 of 7
A chance presents to me to get them from China directly, but I need make the dicision quickly so I need your help

Feb 21, 2006 at 9:07 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by geoges.ravel
Hi. I'm seeking an amp for HD650 at moderate price and have read that
the G&W T-2.6F is the best chinese headphone amp on the market. Anyone has had chance to compare it with the popular amps here? I have read that the G&W T2.6F is easily a better amp than Musical Fidality X-CAN V3 or EarMax. But I don't know how accurate that opinion is.
So if somebody has compared T2.6F to the popular amps here, I would like to hear your opinion.
Thanks!

Hi - I dont have a G&W T-2.6F but it was on my shortlist of potential amps to buy recently along with the XCan v3 (which you mention) and Gilmore Lite - there are no decent reviews on the G&W T-2.6F (that I could find) - I did find a few threads though - 1 in particular raised issues over the quality of components within the G&W T-2.6F - there are plenty of happy users of the G&W T-2.6F but I was not convinced & ended up spending more than I planned & went for a Meier Corda Aria (damn you Head-Fi
evil_smiley.gif
)
HTH ... Paul

Feb 21, 2006 at 9:42 AM Post #4 of 7
I've heard one in the store for about 15 minutes with stock tubes, HD650 and a Marantz something CDP. Its a very good amp for the price, even by Chinese standards. Ummm...I haven't heard a X-CAN or Earmax so can't do direct comparisons.

I'm not very familiar with the CDP so maybe it was the CDP and not the amp I'm describing here. Anyway, I remember great mids and relatively tight bass for a tube amp. Bass could be extended a bit more but maybe it was the CDP, I don't know. Highs were clear and not sibiliant. Didn't hear any hum at low volumes, but with no material playing and the pot turned up very high, there was a very slight hum. Tube rolling would pobably take care of my minor nit picks. Sorry, I don't remember much beyond that.

It sounded very good on first listen but didn't leave a "WOW, I've got to get this" but neither did I recall ever thinking "This is bad."

External construction was very good for a Chinese amp (above average metal work, uniform paint/powercoating, no odd holes or stripped screws). I didn't get to open it up, but I have a G&W T2.1 that shows very good internal construction (good soldering, excellent wiring, good metal work). G&W has a pretty good quality reputation here, so it shouldn't die on you.

Fo you, the T2.6F would sound better than the headphone amp in the Zhaolu (SS/tube arguments aside). I've heard a T100 and the headphone out with 6N3 (haven't heard your 6385) sounds about the same quality wise as the T2.6F.

At 7+ kg packed, you have a very nice friend bringing the amp home for you. You might also politely ask if they can shop around. Prices in Shanghai is about 2600RMB before the haggling session begins.

Feb 21, 2006 at 11:45 AM Post #5 of 7
i purchased my t2.6f for 2380 yuan in november last year. you may have found my post on chinese amps. i did listen to all those amps at different times though so i cannot give you much feedback.. i lent my g&w to a friend in singapore, he compared it to the microZOTL and the performance of the g&w was almost at the level of the berning unit. though the grado rs1 was used for the comparision.

i did have a DIY dtpa amp though there was no comparision.. other comparable chinese headphone amplifers are the consonance cyber 20, cayin ha-1a, mingda mc66, feel hp-200se. i did not encounter the infamous bada ph-12 in china, though i did listen to the bada ph-1 which was crap
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2006 at 2:03 PM Post #7 of 7
Sorry, withdrawn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back