Opinion NAD or Cambridge CD Player?
Feb 17, 2008 at 6:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

bsn

Head-Fier
I'm looking for some opinions. I'm trying to decide between between three CD Players. Would you go for the Cambridge Audio Azur 640C v2, Cambridge Audio Azur 540C v2, or the NAD C542? The NAD has HDCD support, but I'm not sure how much I would use HDCD. The 640C is at the very top of my price range.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Feb 17, 2008 at 7:27 AM Post #2 of 11
CDPs have distinctive sounds that make them hard to blanket recommend. Seek out your local dealers and go audition, or buy used on Audiogon and sell what you don't like.

Feb 17, 2008 at 12:37 PM Post #3 of 11
I realize there is a subjective element involved with audio equipment. Unfortunately, I cannot drive a car for a while due to recent surgery, so it is not easy for me to audition equipment in person at the moment. I was thinking of buying from Audio Advisor, so I would not have any way of auditioning their equipment prior to purchase either. Audio Advisor does have a 30-day return policy, so if I don't lie the unit I can return it.

I'm hoping that some of the Head-Fi-ers here can give me their opinions between the three units to help me come to a decision. What did some of you folks decede / think when you heard some of these players?

Thanks,

Feb 17, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #4 of 11
Hello bsn, when I picked up our CA 640c V2 we were there to buy speakers. My wife is very picky, I do not have the most expensve equipment but what I do have I owe to her. Well we had not bothered to purcase a CD player since they came and destroyed the market in the ealy 80's. Well I remember reading in TAS that for a few dollars more the manufactuerers could have made them more musical in the early days. So we auditioned players that I could only dream about as the rest were crap. Fast forward to 2006, we had a small collecton of CDs that we were playing on personal players through crap headphones. So we listened to the CA players, I liked the 540, but SO thought it was bright and tinny. So we listened to the 640 (they appeared to have an advance model) with the two DACs which sold me. And SO was really happy with th sound. So we got the 640c V2, had to wait for colour selection. But it was worth the wait, as we like the sound/music coming out of it.

Forgot to mention that DACs are from Wolfson in the CA units.

B
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #5 of 11
Thanks for getting back to me. I truly did want the CA 640C V2 after reading the many wonderful comments on it and the good reviews. However, after digging around for a wile on the internet, it appears that there are several people complaining about problems with some of the 640C V2 units dropping the left channel. That kind of scared me away. I still think it is a great unit, but I think I will be happy with what I purchased.

I wound up getting the ROTEL RCD-1072. A dealer had one that was a demo unit and he knocked the price down comparable with the CA and NAD units. I was even able to talk my wife into driving down and picking it up for me. ( I cannot drive at the moment.)

Now, this ROTEL is making me all the more eager for my new Ray Samuels Emmeline XP-7 to arrive. I can hardly wait for the day when it shows up.

Feb 17, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #6 of 11
Congrats on the new equip =)

Aug 19, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by bsn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for getting back to me. I truly did want the CA 640C V2 after reading the many wonderful comments on it and the good reviews. However, after digging around for a wile on the internet, it appears that there are several people complaining about problems with some of the 640C V2 units dropping the left channel. That kind of scared me away. I still think it is a great unit, but I think I will be happy with what I purchased.

I wound up getting the ROTEL RCD-1072. A dealer had one that was a demo unit and he knocked the price down comparable with the CA and NAD units. I was even able to talk my wife into driving down and picking it up for me. ( I cannot drive at the moment.)

Now, this ROTEL is making me all the more eager for my new Ray Samuels Emmeline XP-7 to arrive. I can hardly wait for the day when it shows up.

Hi there!

So what is your impression on the Rotel? I'm in the same market as you right now, trying to find a decent CD player for around $500-$600, and was also considering NAD and Cambridge. But I've heard a lot of good things about Rotel as well.

Aug 20, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #8 of 11
I'm very happy with the Rotel, it sounds very clean and neutral. I'm running the signal through a pair of Analysis Plus Oval One Interconnects to both a Cambridge integrated amp and the Ray Samuels Headphone Amp.

The only very minor faults are the output level on red book CDs is a little low compared to HDCDs and there is no remote on/off so you have to push the button to turn it off. In hindsight at the $600 price point, I don't think you could go wrong with any of the three manufactures they all make solid products.

Aug 21, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #9 of 11
Grats on the Rotel. I've been doing some CDP research and the Rotel is on my short list. I would like a unit with both HDCD and SACD but not if I have to sacrifice too much quality. I may just go with a Rotel and next year replace my HT A/V receiver with a Rotel too. BTW, how do you like the Anthony Gallo speakers?

Aug 21, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #10 of 11
I really like the Gallo A'Diva Ti speakers, but there are limitations to consider. They are good, but not for everyone.

The good, is that they can magically disappear in the room and they produce an incredibly convincing stereo image. They are crisp and very good in the mid-range, the TR-1 does a good job producing tight musical bass that is not boomy or mushy.

They sound very clear unless the musical passage is really complex, then the small full range driver can at times strain a little. The other thing to keep in mind is that they are not going to get really loud, so they are not a good candidate for a large room.

They work perfectly in my den and overall, they produce an amazingly good sound in a very small package.

Aug 22, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by bsn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really like the Gallo A'Diva Ti speakers ... and overall, they produce an amazingly good sound in a very small package.

That's great to know, thanks. I've looked at them a few times and are on my short list for new surround speakers. I do not have the space for large speakers anymore but I don't want to sacrifice too much quality. These sound like they will fit the bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back