Opinion about IEMs
Jul 28, 2009 at 8:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Spiricore

Head-Fier
Hey guys,

My IE8's were stolen less than a week after I bought them; along with the rest of travel set up (mp3 player, amp, really nice 1/8" to 1/8" cable that I also need to replace) and am really eager to get things going again. I'm REALLY tight on cash (I live in an RV), but I like "the best." I know, you hate those two words together.

I'm posting this message because before I go out and replace my IE8s, is there something I should look at instead?

I managed to get my hands on an iBasso D10 Cobra so I'll probably be using that. (It came with AD8656*2, LMH6643*2 and two dummy adapters. I have no idea what they'll do to the sound). I really liked the bass adjustment on the IE8's...it surprised the hell out of me and I loved it. I listen drum&bass, metal, and electronic music. I notice any glitch or distortion in music and it takes me out of it. I have very good hearing, but I like playing my music loud. My MP3 player is a Cowon D2. Oh, and I listen to music virtually constantly.

Any other information I can provide, please ask. I don't know much about hardware, but I'm huge on music and things sounding good. I'm an audio engineer in the film industry, but I'm still "tuning my ears" and I wanna do it with some amazing IEMs.

Jul 28, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #2 of 12
Ouch. I sold them to you. Not happy to hear some jerk stole them.
frown.gif

I have not heard the JVC FX-500's, but a lot of people compare them to the IE8's (some don't agree) but for bass and stuff people seem to say they are comparable. They're around $140 shipped to the US I believe. I will probably be picking a pair up soon.

Not too sure on players. 32GB is the max for flash at the moment so you're limited to HDD.. or a flash with an expansion slot but I can't think of any that would get up to 40gb except maybe a Cowon D2 + 32GB SDHC card?

Jul 28, 2009 at 8:14 AM Post #3 of 12
Thanks for your condolences. Why don't some people agree the JVCs compare to the IE8s?

Jul 28, 2009 at 8:19 AM Post #5 of 12
I prefer a sound that is pretty balanced, but I like to "feel" the bass and have the highs/mids keep up. I'm not too crazy about the wood on the 500s, but if they're really close to the IE8's then I could certainly use the money saved.

Jul 28, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #6 of 12
Confirm the 500's are much brighter in treble than IE8, but carrying a deep bass too.

Jul 28, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #7 of 12
the fx500 and ie8 do not in any way sound similar to me other than a lot of bass. the ie8 swings with upper bass while the fx500 has more emphasis on the lower registers of the frequency.

stage is different as well - the ie8 is very wide and the fx500 not as much so, but is a little better displayed in a 3D canvass of sound.

build: the ie8 is better - no comparison. cable is decent (not great), but has amazing stress relief for a consumer product and it can be detached and replaced with something which is better for out and about wear (something sturdier).

i prefer the victor (my ear canals are small) whose treble presence is stronger, though not bright with my ears. both need some help to control bass however.

Jul 28, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #8 of 12
I would actually suggest the Audio Technica CKS70 for you, especially considering your taste in music. They combine the deep bass of the FX500 and the punch of the IE8. I wrote a comparison between them, IE8, FX500 and Turbines here. They also happen to be the cheapest of the 4.

Jul 28, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #9 of 12
Spiricore, sorry about your loss. I think it'd be easier for us to help recommend IEMs to you if you can narrow it down by giving us your budget range, since there is a rather wide range of IEMs out there now to choose from.

Jul 28, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #10 of 12
Thanks for all the replies, they're very helpful. My budget for some IEMs is no more than $300-350 (used of course). I'd probably buy used from someone here if someone ends up having what I need for sale.

Jul 28, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by DTKZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would actually suggest the Audio Technica CKS70 for you, especially considering your taste in music. They combine the deep bass of the FX500 and the punch of the IE8. I wrote a comparison between them, IE8, FX500 and Turbines here. They also happen to be the cheapest of the 4.

Very well written comparison. The main thing that worries me is the wind noise - I live in a very windy area (especially when walking on the beach) and that would drive me nuts. I do, however, like the idea that they're not completely sealed as I get people talking to me all the time. I was considering the Shures just because of the mute button. Then again, there are times when I want nothing but music to fill my head, so I'm a bit torn.

Jul 28, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #12 of 12
Another question...how would the IE8, Shure 530s and UMX3's shortcomings fair if I used the Cowon's D2 built-in equalizer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back