Opeth growls vs Sony MDR7506 headphones
Sep 11, 2007 at 11:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Caribou679

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi!

I have been introduced lately to Opeth's music and I liked It!

As much as my Atrios IEMs are wonderfull for Opeth's clean music , the heavier parts are kind of "ringing" too much for my ear canals!

I tried lowering the volume at 17/50 with the D2 and the 2 guitars come in clean, the bass too but the drums are in the back and far too low!

I tried my Koss Sportapro. The music is "nice" but I do not want "nice sound" with Opeth!!
very_evil_smiley.gif
And they are open and their size just do not fit with the music!

I want a closed headphone so i won't afraid the neighboors!!
rs1smile.gif

I used my old Bose Triport ( no flames please!) and it was interesting. I could crank the volume a bit and they do the job for now!

I like the style of the Sony 7506: they are closed,and the reviews I read are very favorable.

My big question: Would they be bad enough for this type of music? Would they do the job?(after proper break-in!!) Or is there an alternative in the closed headphones $100 range.

Also I have a PA2V2 headphone amp and the new Go-Vibe V7. If needed the headphones could/will be driven with the Cowon D2 and one of these amp. Music is encoded in Ogg level 8 (256k)

regards,

Sep 11, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #2 of 32
My only pair of cans are 7506's and I do really love them a lot. I bought them to be mainly used as my studio monitors though, as it is said they do not color the sound of whatever is coming through. But I have read that for listening to music for enjoyment there are better options for the same price if not less.

The main recommendation you're going to get is probably going to be for the Grado SR-80's, as they are supposed to sound fantastic especially when amped, and run about $90. I'm sure others here will give you much more thorough advice than myself, but I know that I am going to hold onto my Sony's for the studio, and pick up a pair of the Grado's for listening to music on my DAP and computer.

Sep 11, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #3 of 32
I have a pair of 7509, which are the 50mm versions of the 7506. They are also circumaural, which the 7506 are not.

Both headphones are okay, but nothing special. They have a studio monitor type sound, not a relaxing listening session type sound. Studio monitors are what these headphones were made for. They don't have a good soundstage, rather they sound compressed and pushed forward but maintain a fairly neutral tone.

They aren't bad headphones either, but for the price points, you can find a much more enjoyable headphone to listen to. Just look around the forum a little bit.
cool.gif

But if they do catch your fancy, I might sell my 7509HD for around $140. I only bought them a few months ago for $200 new. I have all the original packaging for them. They don't get much use now since I bought my Denons. But they are much more comfortable on your head than the 7506, and sound much better than the 7506.

Sep 12, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #4 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Both headphones are okay, but nothing special. They have a studio monitor type sound, not a relaxing listening session type sound...

Thats good since Opeth + relaxing type of sound is a bad combination, its very heavy metal after all ( I have trouble calling it death, but goes in that direction ).

I would fear 7506 being too bright though since high frequencies can easily make Opeth just sound noisy... Look into Equation RP21.

Sep 12, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #5 of 32
I am liking it! I started educating about the Equation RP21 and they look just enough wicked to be a honest contender for my interest. Also nice looks!

Also per their website : they are :

* Plutonium free polymer
k1000smile.gif

No plutonium!! I never tought this would be a characteristic of the plastic of an headphone!

I found a huge thread about them on Head-Fi, will continue checking it out!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats good since Opeth + relaxing type of sound is a bad combination, its very heavy metal after all ( I have trouble calling it death, but goes in that direction ).

I would fear 7506 being too bright though since high frequencies can easily make Opeth just sound noisy... Look into Equation RP21.

Sep 12, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #6 of 32
Question: Do the 7509 isolate better than the 7506?

....and are they tough enough to withstand four kids like the 7506 can.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 12, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question: Do the 7509 isolate better than the 7506?

....and are they tough enough to withstand four kids like the 7506 can.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Yes, and yes! The 7509HD are circumaural (around the ear). They give better isolation than the 7506 which just pushes up against the ear (which is much more uncomfortable). And yes, they are built tough so they are just as kid-friendly as your 7506.

Sep 12, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #8 of 32
Opeth sounds truly awesome on the Denon D2000/5000.

Sep 12, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Yes, and yes! The 7509HD are circumaural (around the ear). They give better isolation than the 7506 which just pushes up against the ear (which is much more uncomfortable). And yes, they are built tough so they are just as kid-friendly as your 7506.

Cool! I was looking closely at the 7506 as something the kids could use and keep their paws offa my MS-1! Plus give me a little isolation when I'D like to get away from THEM for a bit!
very_evil_smiley.gif

.....all my cans are open.
frown.gif

Sep 12, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool! I was looking closely at the 7506 as something the kids could use and keep their paws offa my MS-1! Plus give me a little isolation when I'D like to get away from THEM for a bit!
very_evil_smiley.gif

.....all my cans are open.
frown.gif

Wait... are you asking about the 7506 or 7509HD? Because I was referring to the 7509HD.

Sep 12, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

LOL! The D2000/5000 sounds truly awesome with anything, Skylab.
3000smile.gif
: However, I think they are out of the person's price range if they are eyeballing the 7506.

Ahhh...true so. Well, Opeth also sounds good on the Denon D1000
biggrin.gif

Sep 12, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #14 of 32
Opeth sounds awesome on anything, especially something with really good bass response. The double bass is viscious.

Sep 12, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Wait... are you asking about the 7506 or 7509HD? Because I was referring to the 7509HD.

Oh yeah; guess I was a bit confusing there.
blink.gif

Anyway; I was originally thinking of getting 7506; but if the 7509 isolates better, are just as kid-proof, and even sound better than 7506; then the 7509 may well be the better bet.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back