Opeth are re-releasing Blackwater Park (5.1 mix and Documentary)
Feb 11, 2010 at 2:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Dublo7

1000+ Head-Fier
Well, it looks like one of my dreams is coming true: Opeth's Blackwater Park is being re-released with a 5.1 DVD mix.

Quote:

From Opeth.com
"At the venue you’ll also get a nice Opeth rucksack which will be filled with a Ltd. Edition t-shirt, unique to each show, a signed tour programme and a copy of the /Blackwater Park/ special edition CD/DVD/ /which includes a 5.1 mix and a 30-minute, never-before-seen documentary, all nicely packaged in a hard cover digipack (to be released end of March via Sony Music so don’t buy it already if it’s out before the show!)"

Quote:

Listing from Play

13635106x.jpg

Track List

The Leper Affinity
Bleak
Harvest
The Drapery Falls
Dirge For November
The Funeral Portrait
Patterns In The Ivy
Blackwater Park
The Leper Affinity (Live) (Bonus Track - Previously Unreleased)

Both the Still Life and Ghost Reveries 5.1 mixes sound fantastic when downmixed to stereo, so I'm sure this will follow suit.

I'm so excited
L3000.gif

Let's hope for Deliverance next!

Feb 11, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #2 of 14
Do you down mix them with a DVD to audio ripper? Do you down mix with hardware?

Feb 12, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #3 of 14
Holy crap!!! This is great news. I am SO getting one or two. I cannot wait to compare the a downmixed version to the original. I am totally digging the new artwork as well.

Edit: I just bought tickets to the LA show. I am kicking myself for not seeing this earlier. Oh well, I am still going, so I am happy.

Feb 12, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redcarmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you down mix them with a DVD to audio ripper? Do you down mix with hardware?

It depends on the disk itself. Sometimes the 5.1 mixes aren't on a DVD-A, and they're just on a regular DVD rom. In that case, I'd just rip the files with DVD Decrypter, and I'd downmix them with Audacity.
If the disk is a DVD-A, then I'd have to use DVD-A Explorer instead of DVD Decrypter.

Feb 12, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #7 of 14
My benchmark issue is the new reissue! That LP is my Deserted Island disk. The Cd has been put out with so many changes to it. My Opeth gateway cd was purchased in 2000 and even though it was an early issue of Blackwater Park, I did not know really what it was. It did seem really well recorded even for then.

Feb 13, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #9 of 14
I have the vinyl on koch records which is good, so i'll skip this, but a good album like BWP deserved a fresh release, the reharsed artwork is really cool.

Feb 15, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #10 of 14
And then there were 3. 3 Blackwater Parks in my CD collection... And it's not even my favorite Opeth album. I have the original version, The special edition with the bonus disc (with Still Day Beneath the Sun and Patterns in the Ivy II) and now this one's coming with the 5.1 DVD. I already got Still Life, Ghost Reveries and Watershed and the DTS 5.1ch downmixed to 2 channels sound amazing. So I just have to have this...

Feb 16, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flipjack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And then there were 3. 3 Blackwater Parks in my CD collection... And it's not even my favorite Opeth album. I have the original version, The special edition with the bonus disc (with Still Day Beneath the Sun and Patterns in the Ivy II) and now this one's coming with the 5.1 DVD. I already got Still Life, Ghost Reveries and Watershed and the DTS 5.1ch downmixed to 2 channels sound amazing. So I just have to have this...

Yup, me too. If they turned all of the other albums into DVDs, I would happily do my duty as well. I just wish they would use MLP instead, but that is just wishing...

May 10, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

What did you use for downmixing Watershed? And what "settings" did you use for this? Right now I'm messing around with Audacity to downmix it. It sounds good, but some of the levels are off from the CD. This is my first attempt at downmixing anything, so I expected this. Still, I was curious as to how exactly you did it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back