Opeth and Dream Theater, others?
Jun 30, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1."v-the new mythology suit" , A M A Z I N G!!! the best metal album i have ever heard!
2. "the odyessy"
3. "paradise lost" - also melodic but with more aggression from the first two.

Pretty much my top 3 Symphony X albums.
beerchug.gif
Despite Paradise Lost being mastered poorly, that is. That title track... is something else.

"Looking down through ethereal skies...
silent crystalline tears I cry.
For all will say their last goodbye -
To paradise."

Now to get it unstuck from my head.
gs1000.gif

Jun 30, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
beerchug.gif
Despite Paradise Lost being mastered poorly, that is. That title track... is something else.

"Looking down through ethereal skies...
silent crystalline tears I cry.
For all will say their last goodbye -
To paradise."

Now to get it unstuck from my head.
gs1000.gif

those are absolutely thier best. my favourite song is "communion and the oracle" from v. one of the best melodies ever! don't you think? and i agree on the little poor mastering on paradise lost album. but you can hear that their intentions were good.
but the sound on "V" and "the odessy" is outstanding! everything is exactly in the right amount. and oh..! the sweet sound of his distortion, makes me want to cry everytime.
it's rare to find this good sound on metal. at least from my experience.

"starlight in olympus" is also nice,but doesn't come close. i lietened briefly to their earlier albums but didn't quite liked them. maybe they aren't melodic enough for me.

Jun 30, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

those are absolutely thier best. my favourite song is "communion and the oracle" from v. one of the best melodies ever!

Although I am not too much of a fan of that album or Symphony X, 'Communion and the Oracle' is just awesome. Its one of my favorite songs of all time. I find myself drifting off for the rest of the album, but that song has me on rapt attention.

Jun 30, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by RationalGaze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although I am not too much of a fan of that album or Symphony X, 'Communion and the Oracle' is just awesome. Its one of my favorite songs of all time. I find myself drifting off for the rest of the album, but that song has me on rapt attention.

it's strange that you like that song and not the whole album. for me,this album is really a whole piece. it is actually a concept album (dah..like all symphony x albums) .

Jul 1, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

it's strange that you like that song and not the whole album. for me,this album is really a whole piece. it is actually a concept album (dah..like all symphony x albums) .

Its strange yes. Almost all the time, I always prefer to listen to any album (be it concept or otherwise) as a whole, but as hard as I tried, I cannot get the magic of Symphony X. But that song.....

Jul 1, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
beerchug.gif

confused_face_2.gif
confused_face_2.gif
:confused_face_2 : What about Divine Wings of Tragedy? How could anyone not think that it's Symphony X's strongest albums?

Jul 1, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #23 of 28
Lots of great suggestions in this thread. I'll research few myself
smily_headphones1.gif
Here is some more good prog:

- Amorphis - listening to "Tuonela" right now, great band. Their earlier stuff is deathy, but later albums are excellent gloomy prog rock.
- Spock's Beard - one of the bigger poppy prog rock bands, check out "V" or "Snow".
- Ayreon - great spacey prog, the two Universal Migrator albums are my favorites.
- Devin Townsend - 2/3rds of the "Synchestra" are absolutely brilliant.
- Ulver - another band that started as death and became special
tongue.gif
very unique, more experimental. "Blood Inside" is superb.
- Shadow Gallery - sort of reminds me of Symphony X but less dramatic. "Room V" comes to mind.
- Amaran's Plight - "Voice in the Light" another poppy prog rock project, I listened to it non stop for like half a year when it came out
smily_headphones1.gif

- Frost* - both albums currently are my favorite pop prog. As a bonus they are produced better than anything else in this thread.
- Evergrey - "Inner Circle" pretty distinct straight up prog.
- and of course 12 Girls Band - Freedom

You can probably listen to most of those albums on YouTube, though quality may be lacking
smily_headphones1.gif
Good luck exploring!

Great thing about the genre - some bands you do not like now may become your favorites 10 years down the road...

Jul 1, 2009 at 8:40 AM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused_face_2.gif
confused_face_2.gif
:confused_face_2 : What about Divine Wings of Tragedy? How could anyone not think that it's Symphony X's strongest albums?

maybe i should give devine wings another try...in the first time i listened to it i didn't like it, i remember it as agressive and not so melodic. the thing that made me fall in love with this band is their melodics.

Jul 3, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Disillusion - Back to Times of Splendor

This is probably one of the greatest albums I have. There's nothing out there like it but it does take time to appreciate it. It is progressive, but not blatant like Dream Theater.

Jul 9, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #27 of 28
I can't help but also recommend Pain of Salvation. I don't think Scarsick is a good representation--starting anywhere else, however, is a good idea.

More along the prog-rock line, give Beardfish a spin. They got dropped (along with PoS) from the PN09 Tour, sadly. I've thoroughly enjoyed Sleeping in Traffic 1 and 2.

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wenglish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't help but also recommend Pain of Salvation. I don't think Scarsick is a good representation--starting anywhere else, however, is a good idea.

I actually like Scarsick, even though it's very different from their other albums. It's almost as rap/progressive rock hybrid or something, because the singing on the album sounds more like rapping most of the time. Spitfall is a great track and so is the title track of the album. It has few not so cool tracks also, like Disco Queen.

Remedy Lane still holds the number one position of all the PoS albums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back