Operating temperature of headphones?
Feb 3, 2006 at 2:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

DJGeorgeT

Headphoneus Supremus
I like wearing my HD650 outside. The temperature is 32 deg F. Any problems to the drivers operating this cold?

Feb 3, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #3 of 10
wouldn't the problem be the condensation afterwards?

Feb 3, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by n1cx
wouldn't the problem be the condensation afterwards?

I would agree....I think quick temperature changes would not be good in general.

Feb 3, 2006 at 9:27 AM Post #5 of 10
I have heard it is not good to run electronics after a long exposure to cold, due to the quick temp jump when the wires and circuits heat up. I live up here in Alaska and to get from class to class I have to walk outside. So I just wait several minutes once inside before running my headphones. I know of one person that bought a plasma TV and took it home in the back of his truck. He then plugged it in right away at home, and it cracked the circuit board. However, I have seen others in the last few days walking outside listening to their headphones and the temp was -40 F. I don't know if they have had any problems but I myself just do not want to take the risk.

Feb 3, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by raisin
The condensation concern holds more water with full-size cans, IEM's should not suffer this problem.

Pun intended?
icon10.gif

Feb 3, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #10 of 10
Based on complex mathmatical derivatives the result is...a divide by zero error

At 32F...0C...273K it's probably not a problem because it's not really that big of a temperature difference from room temp. Condensation might be a problem but I would probably not worry to much about it because usually when it's cold out, it tends to be fairly dry out as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back