Opera Internet Browser
Jun 1, 2007 at 4:28 AM Post #16 of 49
BTW what skins you guys like? My favs are Expedition 3.0 and retro looking Carthago, BeOS is a cool retro skin too. I tend to use small skins because my screen is small (14inch notebook), some skins are to bloated for my tastes.

Jun 1, 2007 at 10:41 AM Post #19 of 49
I've been using opera for, oh...about 6 years now. I've tried using ff-I even customized it like opera with mouse gestures, smart tabbing. It wasn't the same. It felt hacked together. Also the full-featured Opera .exe is smaller that the FF skeleton .exe! No extensions included! I've managed to convert a few friends, it's just too bad Opera isn't more well known.

Jun 1, 2007 at 10:54 AM Post #20 of 49
I am using FF, Opera and IE. Mainly because I am designing websites every once in a while.

I must say that Opera is the best of the 3 for as far as features and userfriendlyness go. However, when you are dealing with sites which have poor scripting in them Opera won't show anything good. Sometimes nothing at all. Since a lot sites are absolute crap for as far as scripting goes I won't bother with Opera untill the engine will be the exact same as FF and IE.

I'm in for a long wait, I know. Just thinking about Javascript alone....

For now I will just have to make hacks around every single floating division to make it work.
frown.gif

Jun 1, 2007 at 1:34 PM Post #22 of 49
Opera is really good for playing games on www.teagames.com, since firefox makes flash run very slowly, even though I have a relatively fast computer. I can't believe the FF team have yet to fix this even after so many years. Flash development is now much more advanced than what it was in the pre-release days, and this bug is becoming a serious hindrance on sites like autoblog, engadget, etc.

Some flash sites just won't load in opera however, it doesn't use the windows look and feel (very bad in this day and age), and doesn't work as well with middle-click scroll as firefox and ie do, but as a single task browser it works superbly.

Jun 1, 2007 at 1:39 PM Post #23 of 49
I have been using Opera at home for the last two years, and find it to be the best.

Jun 1, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #24 of 49
I've been using Opera for years. It has improved steadily.

Yes it has been frustrating to watch the Firefox people glee over tabbed browsing when I've been doing it for years, and they never did get it to work as well as Opera's.

Bookmarks work so well, too. Open this entire folder... mwa ha ha!

I've used it on several platforms all along. It's a great browser.

I usually have several windows, each with many tabs open. And usually a Firefox and IE window as well, for the couple of apps that just won't handle anything else.

Someone just showed me this:

In Opera, select "view source". A new tab opens with the source for that window.

Edit the source in that new tab. Press the "Apply changes" button.

Go back to the tab you came from. It has reloaded from the changes you made in the editor.

If you're developing web sites, this is *really* handy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vagarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... it doesn't use the windows look and feel (very bad in this day and age), and doesn't work as well with middle-click scroll as firefox and ie do

I'm not sure what you mean by "it doesn't use the windows look and feel". Mine is using the Windows fonts, colors, scroll bars, window decorations, all the things you'd expect. What am I not seeing?

What then should it look like on the Mac or Linux? Does Firefox look Windows-like on the Mac or Linux?

As to middle-click-scroll... never heard of it. Of course, I often use mice with no middle button, or I'm on Linux, where the middle button does something different.

Jun 1, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #25 of 49
Opera rules because it's super customizable. You can customize every button and toolbar. I love it. It's also fast. I don't mind the few sites that don't work because they're badly scripted. It's their fault, not Opera's. A browser should not give in to people who can't build sites.

Jun 1, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #26 of 49
Well just to be fair, there are some pushing Web2.0 features that haven't filtered down to customized scripts for minor market-share browsers like Opera yet (though I hope that changes soon). Google Spreadsheets and Documents not working in Opera isn't because of bad code for instance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou Erickson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does Firefox look Windows-like on the Mac...?

Unfortunately, yes.
wink.gif

Jun 1, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #27 of 49
I've tried opera a few times and I always end up going abck to FF. I don't see how trying it again would change my mind.

But I guess it's because I am so used to FF and I have it personalized just the way I want it and one more thing keeping me from going back to opera again is it hard to import bookmarks. I mean yes it's easy to get them into opera but they are in a completely different order and don't have my folders, and I have a LOT of bookmarks and would hate having to re-organize them all.

firefox works and that's all the matters.

oh and I also have all of my passwords remembered and usernames remembered on firefox and that would be a HUGE pain going over to opera.

Jun 1, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #28 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by buddha911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just thought that I would share my love of Opera. I also wanted to encourage people to use it. I've been using Opera for about one and a half years, and every time I use someone else's computer, I feel empty when I can't use the internet with Opera. Some of my favorite features include the awesomezoom function, the super intuitive find function, the magic wand, and the easy-to-use keyboard shortcuts. So if you're an opera fanboy, let your vote be counted. And if you have any questions I'd like to answer them for you. I know this sounds like a big plug for the browser, but I felt it was about time to express how much I love it.

Here are a couple of screenshots that utilized the zoom function and show a little bit of the scheme:

Oh, and Opera 9.2 is hands down the best to date, I love the speed dial function.
tongue.gif

i'm with you, i been using Opera for over a year and have it customized to be exactly what i need in a web browser. i also have Firefox and i see no need for it now.

btw you can change alot in opera:config.
http://www.opera.com/support/tutoria.../custom/prefs/

Jun 2, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #30 of 49
been using opera since 95, and ff since it was phoenix. always liked opera better. seems to run faster and more stable. ff always seems to come out with extensions that mimics stuff that opera did natively years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back