opera, help
Jul 29, 2004 at 1:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

RobertR

100+ Head-Fier
my friend is getting married and his fiancee is an opera lover and likes domingo.
can anyone recommend a recording of la boheme, tosca,or carmen with p. domingo
I found Carnen on the Myoto and D'oro labels with same orch. and performers probably from a live performance.The myoto is 60.78 and the doro is 17.99.
berkshire has the myoto for 23.00. these are add rec in 1973.

Jul 29, 2004 at 1:57 PM Post #2 of 4
There is a nice La Boheme on RCA, with Caballe and Domingo, Solti conducting. And, for real Domingo fans, Placido Domingo, Jr. has a small part in this recording.

Jul 29, 2004 at 5:18 PM Post #3 of 4
A REAL Domingo fan would want his -Parsifal- As one might expect with a great artist, his switch to Wagner is brought off superbly.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 30, 2004 at 12:38 AM Post #4 of 4
Of the ones you mentioned, the Carmen is good. I have the Opera D'Oro release. It doesn't have a full translation, but it does have a plot summary. it is a live performance, in early FM b roadcast -quality stereo.
If you want to get a studio recording of one of these works, you can probably find Tosca with D omingo in several recordings, and there are two good Carmens, one conducted by Abbado and the other condicted by Solti (with practically an identical cast to the Opera D'Oro live version). But also, consider getting a DVD of Domingo in either Tosca or Carmen. There is a feature film of him in Carmen, and a couple of different films/videos of him in Tosca. Check places like Amazon.com for availability and reviews.

I would avoid Domingo in Boheme. He only made one recording of it, conducted by Solti, and it has never gotten rave reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back