Opera Cyber 30 - Initial Impressions
Mar 15, 2003 at 3:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ddriveman

100+ Head-Fier
Just bought the Opera/Consonance Cyber 30 Signature amplifier today from DIY Hi Fi Supply in Hong Kong. Owner Brian Cherry was extremely helpful and a joy to deal with.(http://www.diyhifisupply.com/)

You can see pictures at their website:

http://www.operaudio.com/Html/Home-Opera.htm

I audition and compared the Cyber 20 (head amp only with 2 EL84 and single 12AU7) and the Cyber 10 (6550 tube amp with headphone output) and the Cyber 30 (2A3 tube amp with headphone output). I paid US$635 for my Cyber 30 which is the Signature version (DACT step attenuator and Beeswax coupling CAPs).

I also have an ASL MG head OTL with rolled tubes (Mullard EL84 & Sylvania 5751 GB). I found the Cyber 20 with stock Chinese tubes to be inferior to the MG Head. Bass was too lean, soundstage seem a little compressed. Changing the tubes to Telefunken EL84 help improved the bass and open up the soundstage but sound was still overall leaner compared to MG head which was warmer with a lusher mid. In fact the Cyber 20 with Teles sounded closer to the MG head in transformer mode using HD-600.

I then switched to the Cyber 30 Signature and this was better than MG head. Overall balance was more neutral than MG head which sounded a little heavy in the mid-bass (OTL mode) in comparison. Bass definition was better with the Cyber 30, you can hear the leading edges of the double bass lines more clearly. Mids was nice, warm but not overly so and voices had a delicacy than you don't get with the MG head. But the treble was where the biggest difference lay. The extension was much better than MG Head, which tends to roll off treble. Cyber 30 is more detail but without sounding forward or bright. It is smooth and grain free on both extremes. Soundstage was wide and spacious and I feel slightly better than MG Heads.

I am now burning in the unit using stock Valve Art 2A3 tubes. Brian was kind enough to throw in an Amperex 12AX7 tube in place of the stock Chinese tube. Will post again as I do more in-depth listening and comparisons to MG Head.

So far, I feel its a significant improvement over MG Head and good value for money as I now have an all SET 3W amp thrown in and can now consider the AKG K1000 headphones

More pictures at my Yahoo photo album :
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/ddriveman...dir=/My+Photos

Mar 15, 2003 at 4:13 PM Post #2 of 16
Oh ! It at least comapre with OTL32 not MG-Head OTL. It seem to be an unfaircomparition.
Cyber30 & OTL32 may be in same price range. May be someone can compare it later. OTL32 have extend high (more than 100Khz +-1db) , extend bass comapre with MG-Head OTL but it price is little expensive too !

Quote:

Originally posted by ddriveman
Just bought the Opera/Consonance Cyber 30 Signature amplifier today from DIY Hi Fi Supply in Hong Kong. Owner Brian Cherry was extremely helpful and a joy to deal with.(http://www.diyhifisupply.com/)

You can see pictures at their website:

http://www.operaudio.com/Html/Home-Opera.htm

I audition and compared the Cyber 20 (head amp only with 2 EL84 and single 12AU7) and the Cyber 10 (6550 tube amp with headphone output) and the Cyber 30 (2A3 tube amp with headphone output). I paid US$635 for my Cyber 30 which is the Signature version (DACT step attenuator and Beeswax coupling CAPs).

I also have an ASL MG head OTL with rolled tubes (Mullard EL84 & Sylvania 5751 GB). I found the Cyber 20 with stock Chinese tubes to be inferior to the MG Head. Bass was too lean, soundstage seem a little compressed. Changing the tubes to Telefunken EL84 help improved the bass and open up the soundstage but sound was still overall leaner compared to MG head which was warmer with a lusher mid. In fact the Cyber 20 with Teles sounded closer to the MG head in transformer mode using HD-600.

I then switched to the Cyber 30 Signature and this was better than MG head. Overall balance was more neutral than MG head which sounded a little heavy in the mid-bass (OTL mode) in comparison. Bass definition was better with the Cyber 30, you can hear the leading edges of the double bass lines more clearly. Mids was nice, warm but not overly so and voices had a delicacy than you don't get with the MG head. But the treble was where the biggest difference lay. The extension was much better than MG Head, which tends to roll off treble. Cyber 30 is more detail but without sounding forward or bright. It is smooth and grain free on both extremes. Soundstage was wide and spacious and I feel slightly better than MG Heads.

I am now burning in the unit using stock Valve Art 2A3 tubes. Brian was kind enough to throw in an Amperex 12AX7 tube in place of the stock Chinese tube. Will post again as I do more in-depth listening and comparisons to MG Head.

So far, I feel its a significant improvement over MG Head and good value for money as I now have an all SET 3W amp thrown in and can now consider the AKG K1000 headphones

More pictures at my Yahoo photo album :
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/ddriveman...dir=/My+Photos

Mar 15, 2003 at 5:09 PM Post #5 of 16
Jazpresso,

I did compare the Cyber 10 to the Cyber 30 Signature using HD-600 (only. Not through speakers). I preferred the Cyber 30. Mids were lusher & warmer and was equal if not more detail. Bass and treble were comparable between the two. Note that the Cyber 10 version I compared to was the standard version (not Signature which costs HK$1000 more).

Mar 16, 2003 at 5:42 AM Post #6 of 16
I'm sorry ! We are busy on manufacturer it to Distributors. We even don't have enough quantity to them. So We can not loan it to you soon. It may be available later.

Mar 16, 2003 at 7:27 AM Post #7 of 16
I will have a Cyber 30 and hopefully the OTL32 at the Chicago meet and maybe you can get some impressions from the attendees.I heard them both at CES and my early impressions are that the OTL32 is the better amp.It drives the K1000 with great authority and drives the HD600 with a dynamic presentation at least equal to the Cyber 30.I took some pics of both amps in my Las Vegas CES thread which you can access from the front start page as Jude placed a link there.

Mar 16, 2003 at 8:02 AM Post #8 of 16
Joe,

I understand your need to serve Divergent first.
Once you can get OTL32 and Twinhead Mk II into HK, I will definitely audition them both. I have no doubt that Twinhead wll sound better but need to hear the OTL32. I think the Cyber 30 and OTL 32 could be quite close in sound.
BTW which 2A3 tubes do you like best.
One thing I can say is that the MG Head OTL (in OTL mode)sounds better (IMHO with HD-600) than Cyber 20 especially considering that Cyber 20 costs more. Better bass and mids although treble extension is better with Cyber 20 (Cyber 20 I am referring to is with NOS TFK EL84 though). So, congratulations to ASL for still being the best (IMHO) tube headamp under US$450.

Tuberoller,

Great to see you back in action and hope you are feeling better.
I thought you bought both the Cyber 10 and 20 at CES. Did you also buy the Cyber 30 ? Would like to know your opinion of Cyber 10, 20 and 30 and how they compare amongst thmselves and ASL amps.
Also, any suggestions for rolling 2A3 tubes ?

Mar 16, 2003 at 4:02 PM Post #10 of 16
mcgino,

Wow, you've got the OTL32 AND Twinhead ! Where did you buy your OTL32 in HK? Audioway's Mr Poon says he cannot get the new ASL models until about 6 months after launch in North America. So which do you prefer...OTL32 or Twinhead mk 1.

Would luv to get together and compare headamps. Perhaps we can organize a head-fi meet in HK.

Mar 17, 2003 at 5:08 AM Post #11 of 16
try the Sophia 2A3. it's similar to their famous 300b tube (supposed to be THE best 300b ever produced... yes, better than the western electric),... same looks, but different voltage, so it can be used with 2A3 amps. i have their 300b in my amp for the k1000, ....and they look really cool. but be prepared to spend a crap load...
frown.gif

Mar 17, 2003 at 3:00 PM Post #13 of 16
Hey Mcgino,

Good to hear from you, haven't seen you posting very much lately...

I've got a pair of 2A3 singles going and also finally got my DIY smurf cable going as well
smily_headphones1.gif

How about you, got any new toys?

Feb 7, 2004 at 9:18 AM Post #15 of 16
ddriveman,

did you have the opportunity to test drive the Chazz amp and compare that to the Cyber 30?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back