Opera Audio Cyber 30
Apr 20, 2007 at 11:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

gundam91

500+ Head-Fier
I have had this amp for quite a while. Although it was enjoyable listening to it driving a pair of Sennheiser HD650 w/ Zu Mobius cable, it never really "touched" my heart. The amp came with a pair of EH Gold 2A3s. After doing some research on Tube Asylum, I purchased a pair of Sovtek 2A3s. They sounded clean and fast. But I always felt that they made the amp to sound closer to a solid state amp. I found a pair of RCA 2A3s with the "H" shape black getter a few weeks ago. But with all the traveling for work, I've not had a chance to listen to them. I plugged them in today while working from home. Wow, the midrange bloom was just amazing, without the sacrifice in the bass region and "speed".

I am enjoying this amp even more now (with the RCA tubes) than its little brother the Cyber 20 which had mesmorized me with its midrange magic.

Apr 20, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #2 of 3
I used to own this as well. I got a pair of NOS Rogers Majestic 2A3's (either Philips or Sylvania OEM), and the difference was great, midrange magic just like you experienced.

But when I tried a NOS Philips 5751 tube to replace the stock 12AX7, THAT bloomed even more! The female voice took on a silky yet detailed quality I hadn't heard in a long time (since owning a Pathos Twin Towers or the Wright Mono 2A3's). I could see clear into the tonsils
tongue.gif
It's too bad the 5751 wasn't my tube, I was just borrowing it.

But the NOS combo is definitely worth it for this amp!

Glad you "rediscovered" it.

EDIT: just read your sig, looks like you have a nice NOS driver, that's great!

Apr 21, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #3 of 3
I'm currently using the GE triple mica grey plate "5-star" labeled 5751.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back