opening up the shures e2g
Feb 25, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #16 of 21
Hi everyone. I bought a malfunctioning Shure E2 from a friend, in hopes I'll be able to fix it. I'll be using it to sing with a live band, through a personal monitoring system.

Since the cable is crackling near the buds, recabling is the way to go.

This thread has given me courage to get the job started, but is there something else I should read before I cut my earbuds open? Basically all my soldering experience is repairing guitars, which have much bigger contacts and can be done using just solder-and-iron.

Any help will be appreciated.

thanks
Daniel

Mar 12, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #17 of 21
Oooh this is the thread I've been waiting for! =D

If anyone's doing a recable job on these, could you perhaps post up specs of the cables, photos of the job in progress, location of the solder points etc.? I've never recabled anything and while I'm buying a pair of Atrio M8s, I'll be delighted if I could fix my currently decomposing E2Gs and keep them =D

(Also, what cables are you using/where are you getting them from?)

Mar 12, 2008 at 10:12 AM Post #18 of 21
You can open up the driver from the side shell, and there is only 2 points on the driver.

You will need a DMM to test which is which.

I was selling this pair of phones a few weeks ago, but was met with some disastrous matter. I may be giving these phones away for a token and a review on these phones. Just to clear the comment made by this particular forummer.

Mar 14, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by zer061zer0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can open up the driver from the side shell, and there is only 2 points on the driver.

You will need a DMM to test which is which.

I was selling this pair of phones a few weeks ago, but was met with some disastrous matter. I may be giving these phones away for a token and a review on these phones. Just to clear the comment made by this particular forummer.

So where did you get your replacement cable from? Did you make them yourself/are there any guides you used?

Mar 15, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #20 of 21
I purchase the wires ready made for this job, I use the cable on the grado SR80 and they sounded really good, hence proceed to use this on the shures. So what i do is just opening up the shell, desolder the 2 points and then connect it back, test it it works then put the shell back.

Before you recable them, make sure you know that recabling will change the sound of almost any earphones, headphones etc. Dun be like the previous buyers of my shures, who claim that the sound change and yada yada..

Note what you want to improve on the sound and then read up on the what differences can the different wires bring abt.

Mar 17, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #21 of 21
Well.. Handy hint: don't recable a pair of earphones when you're in a foul mood..

I got pissed off and just melted through the second earphone to get to the driver
frown.gif

It all works fine, but now I need a dremel and some bondo to clean this mess up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back