Opening Grado SR60is to replace the cable
Jun 11, 2011 at 10:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

joydivision82

New Head-Fier
I need to open the headphones up to get to the transducers as they need a new cable. I have tried heating them up to melt the glue and I have tried prising and twisting them open but nothing works.

Any tips?

Is there any UK service that will do this for me? If so how much is it likely to cost?

Jun 12, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #3 of 4
i used a hair dryer, and some brute force, obviously be careful not to get the rotational axis of the cups too off axis as you remove them,...ie jar them.... ps be careful when soldering the contacts...i think i managed to blow the drivers some how...with too much heat.

orfeo

Jun 12, 2011 at 7:53 AM Post #4 of 4
Someone just direct him to http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/508459/sr60-mod already. Your life will never be the same, my friend :) By the way, hairdryer is good. Almost completely risk free (just don't heat the thing long enough to ruin the drivers. Haven't heard of it happening, but then again everything is possible) and it takes about five minutes, depending on your hairdryer. The top cup is held to the bottom by something approximating hot glue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back