Opening a Sennheiser HD570
Jun 9, 2006 at 4:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Icithis

New Head-Fier
Recently I dropped my Sennheiser HD570s from a height of roughly 4 feet. Having owned them for the past few years, it makes sense that some of the parts inside have loosened. This drop however was the final straw, and popped a piece out that I can hear rattling around. So I'm sure it's an easy enough snap back into place or solder; problem is I can't figure out how to open the bugger. Any help? And sorry if this is the wrong place to ask.

Jun 9, 2006 at 5:03 AM Post #2 of 7
Take out a credit card - an old one that you don't use much. Now on the ear cup there is the screen part, and then the part that the ear pad is attached to. Where the ear cup (grill) connects take the credit card out, and gently shimmy it in towards the bottom of the headphones if you were wearing them.

Now shimmy it up to the left side, keeping the credit card only barely under the lip - you can feel for a little bit of an lip on the inside - use gentle pressure, and then twist with the credit card. It should pop open easily.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 9, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #3 of 7
Ok, I have done this. However, the speaker seems to be facing this way (towards the ear) and the rest is closed off. So the area between the outside (where the HD570 label is stamped on) and the speaker is where the piece is rattling around. Popping off the ear cushion doesn't seem to have done anything to gain access to it.

Jun 9, 2006 at 3:03 PM Post #4 of 7
No, I don't want you to take the ear covering off. Okay, take a look at where the part of the headphone that goes over your head attaches to each headphone. At that point, the back piece connects to the front piece. That's what you are supposed to open up. Between the back covering and the front covering (e.g. not the comfy foam ear coverying), slip the credit card in.

Jun 9, 2006 at 11:58 PM Post #5 of 7
Alright, so far so good. However this just popped off the bottom parabolic piece from the outside of ear bit. The loose piece is still inside of the cup part which I can't get access to. There are a bunch of small holes around the cup part, and I assume that's how it's staying attached to the rest of the housing. Any idea how to open this part up?

Mar 11, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #6 of 7
Hey, I'm trying to get my HD570s open using your technique, but I can't seem to get that cup off. I'm going up the left side with the credit card, but the piece of plastic holding the padding on there, is flexible and the card just pops right out. Am I doing this wrong? Should I try harder (I was scared of breaking them).

Mar 11, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #7 of 7
Ah, nevermind that, I see what you were talking about, I only got the plastic thing in the shape of a U out.
I would also have a question concerning my problem. The right side doesn't work and I don't know if it's the connector in the earcup, or my cable (the minijack that goes into the cans is slightly bent). Is there an easy way of testing to see which one it is?
When I move the plug around it doesn't fix anything and makes the left side (the one that's working) crackle.
Cheers

EDIT : I managed to open the cups. I found out it's a problem with the right cup, because when I plug the little two-pronged cable into the other driver, it works fine. What could be wrong with the other driver? Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back